PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft Play ? video included

GSi_PSi
17-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey guys ive got some play in the driveshaft, is my driveshaft rooted or
is were it connects to the gearbox stuffed?
When i drive it makes a clicking noise, going foward and backward also when i let go off the
clutch, this gearbox was recently put in
i dont want to buy a shaft then find its box rooted, anyone have a similar problem

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/GSI-PSI/?action=view&current=17082010015.mp4

mocchi
17-08-2010, 10:59 AM
looks like there is excessive wear in the bore of your inboard/outboard joint casing.
why dont you try open it up? check the roller/spider on inboard joint and "crowns"/6 balls for bad scoring on outer joint.

if they're bad, get refurbished ones and if they're fine,
get new outer/inner cv boot kit $35 or so for a set of inner OR outer cv boot from bursons.

its cheaper than buying a driveshaft/gearbox.

grifty
17-08-2010, 10:59 AM
is ur driveshaft nut tight? check to see if it has come loose.

grifty
17-08-2010, 11:00 AM
looks like there is excessive wear in the bore of your inboard/outboard joint casing.
why dont you open it up? check the roller/spider on inboard joint and "crowns"/6 balls for bad scoring on outer joint.

if they're bad, get refurbished ones and if they're fine,
get new outer/inner cv boot kit $35 or so for a set of inner OR outer cv boot from bursons.

its cheaper than buying a driveshaft/gearbox.

how is he going to free the shaft from the outer cv?

mocchi
17-08-2010, 11:06 AM
how is he going to free the shaft from the outer cv?

free shaft from outer cv? you mean removing the outer cv joint from shaft?
i used a hammer. after few hard hits, it scratches my hammer pretty bad, no scratches at all on the dshaft joint.

grifty
17-08-2010, 11:13 AM
free shaft from outer cv? you mean removing the outer cv joint from shaft?
i used a hammer. after few hard hits, it scratches my hammer pretty bad, no scratches at all on the dshaft joint.

that works well but you also risk cracking the cage, you have to be careful so u dont hit the cage.

GSi_PSi
17-08-2010, 11:14 AM
currently waiting on tools atm , the car is stuck in the garage dead battery fml,

mocchi
17-08-2010, 11:22 AM
currently waiting on tools atm , the car is stuck in the garage dead battery fml,

you would need some 'not so common' tools. for inner joint you need a 2 or 3 jaw bearing puller, and to install new cv boot, you need cv boot tool ( depends on the supplied clamp type). this one is band type, what burson cv boot kit supply.
http://www.hotrodautosupply.com/eshop/images/uploads/tools/cvbander.gif

when reassembling, make sure you have your service manual. look for driveshaft length measured from casing to casing.
but you have midshaft, so im not sure. well, check manual hehe.

vinnY
19-08-2010, 06:57 PM
did it just happen or did you replace the shaft recently then this started happening?
first things i'd check is whether it's the right shaft
then check for a loose/missing hub nut
if all that checks out then go ahead and remove the shaft and check both inboard/outboard joints to see what's up
check if the C clip is still on the end of the shaft that goes into the box
if it happens to be the passenger side shaft and a b series, check that the intermediate shaft is bolted up to the engine block properly

grifty
19-08-2010, 07:30 PM
didnt you just replace your gearbox?

I would do what vinny suggested before buying a new one.

GSi_PSi
19-08-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for all the input guys the cv was shattered inside and all broken, i guess b20 is bit too strong for these cvs lol,

mocchi
19-08-2010, 10:22 PM
thanks for all the input guys the cv was shattered inside and all broken, i guess b20 is bit too strong for these cvs lol,

:eek: PICS!!!

GSi_PSi
19-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Pics as promised ..... just got these CV's brand new start of the year, only been driving the car max 2 months since then, due to loss of licence, pretty gay
just to be safe should i change the other side as well? there is lil a tiny tiny bit of play or is that normal?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9236/19082010211.jpg

mocchi
19-08-2010, 11:15 PM
holyshit****! you sure they brand new or reconditioned?
any crack on the joint casing? damn those rollers are bye bye.

grifty
19-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Pics as promised ..... just got these CV's brand new start of the year, only been driving the car max 2 months since then, due to loss of licence, pretty gay
just to be safe should i change the other side as well? there is lil a tiny tiny bit of play or is that normal?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9236/19082010211.jpg

can you possibly claim it under warranty?

GSi_PSi
19-08-2010, 11:33 PM
well drive shaft place told me they were brand new. gave me 1 year warranty aswell, but warned me that he can tell if the car has done burnouts, i havent done burnouts but when taking off in 1st gear the cars tyres screetch sorta

Bludger
23-08-2010, 09:57 AM
ust take it back and milk them for what its worth....