PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problems With D16A

Olskool Integra Boy
02-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey, my 86 integra is having some problems in that the idle tends to fluxuate while driving, often it gets as low as 5 or 6 hundred revs and obviously stalls, then, on one of these occasions it would not start again, i guess beaues the idle was still too low to kick it over. the idle adjustment also seems to be faulty because it can be adjusted down but it wont adjust up beyond about 1100 revs. this would be fine if the engine stayed their for the whole journey but....
has anyone herd of this happening before or have any ideas how to fix it.
any help would be geat thanx.

ECU-MAN
02-01-2005, 12:51 PM
common problem with Hondas, its usually the EACV valve, do a search for mo info,
there is a DIY clean EACV thread in the Articles/Reviews forum

DJIntegr8
02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I had these problems as well, mostly when the car was restarted after a short stop. It still happens occasionally in hot weather where the idle rises, the car overheats and won't restart.

But as ECU-MAN said, it's the EACV/IACV on the back of the intake manifold, i'll try and get a picture uploaded

Edit:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/prosevea/P1020015.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/prosevea/P1020017.jpg

It was quite easy to remove, but I had the throttle body completely off and removed all the tubes. IIRC there are 2 coolant hoses and 3 10mm (or 12mm?) bolts. If this does not solve the problem then maybe look at the radiator+overflow level as i did this at the same time.

Olskool Integra Boy
02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
ok thanks guys iv printed the DIY and ill give it a go with dad when i get a spare day

Olskool Integra Boy
03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
ok, i have done it but unfortunatley the item seemed to be perfectly clean already so ill haev to just wait untill i go for a decent drive and c wat happens. however there still seems to b no adjustment on the idol???

87teg
26-02-2005, 08:58 PM
olskool,...you might want to check the idle adjustment screw path is clear in the throttle body - they have a tendancy to gum up and not much air will be able to by pass. Sounds like this might be happening when you say you can't get idle above 1100 rpm. Other thing to check is the igniter module on the distributor - this gives some problems with restarting when hot.. :honda:

nedgeworth
27-02-2005, 09:34 AM
also check your throttle cable is set correctly. I had this same troubles aftre cleaning my IACV. Just a quick look in the user manual had me checking the throttle cable to discover it has never been adjusted properly!!

bigjo5
27-02-2005, 04:31 PM
hey u might have to change ur fuel filter.. cause my friends sss had that problem and his fuel filter was dirty.. like really dirty.. and the distributor was kinda stuffed up..