PDA

View Full Version : Want to change FLYWHEEL dont want to loose anything

Ozwolfbane
02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
hi, :thumbup:
I have searched some threads but i couldnt find an exact answer. I am putting a JDM H22 in my Si so thought mightaswell change the clutch and while im at that put a new flywheel.
What my question is does changing the flywheel give more horse power at wheel ?
How much increase for that Investment ?
Im looking at a 8lb (3.6Kg) FIDANZA Flywheel. I dont want to loose any power or low end accelration or anything...so is changing the flywheel for my needs ? I dont take car to track....just the odd street drag and all...
thanks

Weq
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
think of a flywheel as weight reduction. u decrease the turning mass of the car at the crank. u dont gain any HP.

Ozwolfbane
02-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I mean horse power at wheels

VTEC16
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
your engine isnt making more power - but it does put down more power at the wheels.

Dnation
02-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Its beneficial in that the load from the engine crank to the gearbox is less, and thus, theoretically, u will accelerate faster and have more power at the wheel.. engine hp shouldnt change though..

Dont u play Grand Turismo and read up on the mods???? that game is pretty accurate..

edw-R
02-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Is it gain on the wheel?? not on the flywheel??

hondar
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
dont be obsessed by hp power only. highest hp does not mean winning always.

flywheel dont make power, u accelarate faster compared using stock flywheel and very useful for short races where u need to pick acceleration straight away becos u dont have the distance to pick up the speed. :)

ginganggooly
02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Its beneficial in that the load from the engine crank to the gearbox is less, and thus, theoretically, u will accelerate faster and have more power at the wheel.. engine hp shouldnt change though..

Dont u play Grand Turismo and read up on the mods???? that game is pretty accurate..
yeah! fully bro!
i want a stage three NA build up ;)

i love it how everything is done in stages/levels....

Limbo
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
O one thing you should note is that with a lighter flywheel you will need to rev more to take off, and will be easier to stall. This is because the flywheel weight is not as great and is easily stopped by the force of your gears. So this may affect your daily driving ever so slightly. The lighter the wheel the greater the effect.

Otherwises it is a great mod, no gain at all on the engine, but you will put slightly more power to the ground cos you are not loosing power to spin the heavier flywheel!

btw.. how much was the flywheel?

Limbo
02-01-2005, 06:52 PM
One thing generally you will find there is a down point to all mods. Otherwise if they were cost effective and made more power the manufacturer would have already had them on!

ProECU
02-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Lighter flywheels are generally a good idea. Most car manufacturers design/build engines with street driveability in mind (ie for grandma's & chicks etc), which typically in this topic of conversation might mean a heavier flywheel than needed.

The downside to lighter flywheels generally, would mean the inertia or centrifical force generated would be less, and hence the car would de-accelerate faster when off the throttle. This has implications for hill driving and taking off.

Personally, i'd go a lighter flywheel, but nothing too excessive, as the same acceleration effect can be gained with gear box final drive modifications, without expending inertia.

Weq
02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
i dont put down more power. its its weight reduction on a large scale!

Ozwolfbane
03-01-2005, 01:46 AM
EXEDY Clutch & FIDANZA Flywheel for 265$ US + shipping...how heavy is tock flywheel ???how faster would it accelerate ???? any difference in weight between JDM and AUS Transmission (Si and JDM Vtec) ??

JDM Element
03-01-2005, 04:38 AM
As somebody else previously sed, when the foot is taken off the throttle, the car will slow down quicker than stock, causing a slightly more jerky feeling when on and off the throttle.
i usually use neutral when im going down hills anywayz!! :)

kenshin
03-01-2005, 04:42 AM
its well worth it...

EuroAccord13
03-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Ok.. Let me see if I get it right..

The Lighter the flywheel, the faster the car slows down and the more obvious the jerking from the moment the accelerator is off? Mmmm... I thought it has only good benefit in a sense that it gets the revs up faster, didn't know that it slows down faster too....

wynode
03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
8 pounds is a nice weight for the street. Anything less and you might lose a bit of driveablity (but some people like that) :)

A lighter flywheel basically has less inertia improving engine breaking and helps your acceleration.

SiR JDM
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I hear you loose top end with a lightened fly wheel... this coming from drag-perspective?

SPEEDCORE
04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
No you don't lose top end!!!!! You don't loose and you don't gain HP!!!! Read people please!

In drag racing terms... a lighter FW may not be the best thing as it becomes prone to bogging down when you step off the clutch. All to do with lower inertia/rotating mass in the form of the flywheel which is futher complicated and emphasised with our inevitable low torque figures on most of our Hondas due to capacity and N/A. In something with plenty torque, the issue of possibly bogging down when the tyres hook up are reduced cause you actually HAVE enough torque to get the bloody car moving.

Hope this has cleared things up a bit cause I always see threads about flywheels and losing or gaining hp/torque which is utter crap and confusion about what to expect.

Non Vtec
04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I can say you dont really loose anything from having a lightened flywheel.. I have a alloy flywheel and pressure plate set-up including my clutch my set-up weigh in at 8kg.. which is about the same as a stock B-series flywheel... the car is awesome to drive at any speed and as for top end it just never stops pulling.. but then having 220+whp helps to..

SiR JDM
04-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I dind't mean you loose HP... just heard from people who've done it that your topend is weekened after doing it.. the flywheel is too light that there is not enough mass to propel at higher speeds ... thats all i *heard*... hence why i asked the question not stated it as fact =]

MoonSha
07-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Everything you people are describing makes me think I have a lightened flywheel, my car needs a few revs to take off but accels very quickly and smoothly but I will get a jerk back if I lift off at high revs, the revs will also go up and down very fast if revved in neutral. I don't suppose there is any simple way to tell short of pulling apart the gearbox?