PDA

View Full Version : eg b16 mod plate? QLD

teh_mechanic
18-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm thinking of selling my car soon - eg gl model (was d15 twin carb) now with jap spec b16a in it. Have replaced rear drums with ek4 discs.

So i figure to sell it registered i need to finally get around to changing my engine number with QLD transport to the b16. Getting a mod plate and roadworthy certificate is no hassle and i will easily pass, my question is will QLD transport demand a mod plate for the engine/brakes when i go to change the engine number? I'm after real world experience here, like you have actually walked in and done it, please dont bring up discussion about other states or p plates or anything.

As i see it, in QLD if the engine or mod was an option then its fine, no plate. This being an eg6 motor, a non Aus released engine, i would need a modplate? or has someone got away with it.

And the rear brakes are now EK4 discs, which are the same as eg rear discs right, so could i just say the are eg discs, an option for that car so they wouldn't need a mod plate? Front brakes are standard small gl ones, so technically they should be upgraded, i will get around that fine though. shhhh

90LAN
18-08-2010, 07:16 PM
there are 2 options brendan

one go get form for change of details of your car, in this case engine no
fill it out take to counter, officer comes look at no and signs it off
entered in system

or get a mod plate for car for engine conversion,
go get the change of details form again
in one section theres a modification to fill out, fill your mod plate no in there
officer will check engine no on block again
entered in system

simple really

ive done it both ways and both ways works
next time you get rego sticker it will have your new engine no on details

teh_mechanic
18-08-2010, 09:05 PM
so basically theres not much too it and its pretty much up to how clued up the officer that comes to look at the number on the block is.

so being a tiny displacement upgrade i should be fine to go in without a mod plate, afterall the civic isnt too outrageous its mostly oem parts that the eye can see. Was just interested to see how pedantic they would be about being too low and pod filters etc etc when the check the engine number, i suppose its just up to the luck of the draw with the official. My car's safer than half the stuff on the road around here so they better treat me nice lol

90LAN
26-08-2010, 07:46 PM
9 out of ten times its a lady lol

teh_mechanic
29-08-2010, 09:28 AM
il be sure to wear my best cleavage top then

eg5civic
29-08-2010, 06:44 PM
hey man, i'm a p plater and registered my b16b in my eg

It orignally had a d16a8 and due to no displacement increase there was no need for a mod plate, though "technically" you should mod plate due to it being a motor that is not originally in that model.
In qld unless there is a 10% displacement increase you will have no problems with registering it.

hisoka
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
if i was you i wouldnt even bother with the mod plate. do it the other way.

i changed engine in a car, got it plated and the lady came out, asked me to read out engine number, fair enough.

got car registered, then after about 6 months got pulled up going to uni,

my car was registered as a silver car (car was white), and the engine number on the system was still the old one.

i showed them engine mod plate even, but they said i had to do a change of particulars form. how stupid is that.

someone looking at a b series swap wouldnt even know it was a swap until they see a modplate (by someone i mean police)

and even then, showing police mod plate papers is like challenging them to find a defect on the car.

back to the question, get a change of particulars form and just try it,

it did work for me i guess in a away, just the lady didnt actually change it but car still got registered without any mod plate papers or anything.

i went from a 4 cyclinder na to a turbo 6 cyclinder, iam sure they would want to see paper work for that if they knew what they were doing, so you should be fine.

dont be scared of queensland transport lol.

teh_mechanic
19-10-2010, 09:18 PM
got modplate anyway. car is sold now. probably wasnt worth it really if anyone reads this. went in, gave the forms to a 16 yr old looking girl behind the counter, stamp stamp stamp, all done. they didnt even go look at the car ( which i had parked skillfully to try and hide how low it was hahaha)