PDA

View Full Version : Cheap good setup for EG Hatch

EG5VTI
18-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Deleted

2MPRS
18-08-2010, 06:59 PM
polk speakers are pretty good havent heard many bad things about them. dont spend alot on speakers if ur not gonna amp them as there wont be to much of a difference

lsvtec
18-08-2010, 07:04 PM
just get average speakers, if u buy say soundstream or mtx, ure gunna need an amp to make them sound good.

EG5VTI
20-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys for input. I decided to just go the cheap way and not spend too much. 6" Kenwood's for the rear and 4" Kenwood's for the front. Sounds pretty damn good.

tiksie
20-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Anything is better then the OEM system lol.

arverson
21-08-2010, 01:20 AM
swap em around.. have the 6"ers upfront, 4" in the rears.

6+4 inch kenwoods suggest a budget of more-or-less $3-400?? if thats the case then if you want more bang-for-your-buck & better results, then dont bother upgrading rears and spend it all on fronts splits or coax's and focus on the install (service holes sealed, sound deadened, replace the flimsy and leaky plastic brackets with mdf spacers).

which alpine head unit is it? (just seeing what tuning features you have)

yellows2k
21-08-2010, 08:21 PM
well im running pioneer "yellows" 5.25" fronts and boston acoustics rallye 65 in my rears, a jl audio 2 channel amp and a jlaudio bass tube. pretty decent for me

eg5civic
21-08-2010, 10:01 PM
i Had 6.5" 3 way fronts and 6x9's in the rear all on an amp, sounded good

now i've stripped the rear installing splits, i'd say they are the way to go but they need to be amped.

End of the day, speakers will only sound so good off a headunit and to get that better quality you'll need an amp

2MPRS
21-08-2010, 10:56 PM
i got jl audio 6.5inch splits at the front and kenwood 6.5inch splits at the back overkill :P but it sounds heaps clear lol

EG5VTI
22-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I know you should put the better speakers up front, but the 6"s don't fit the frame in the door, so I just did the 6"s & 4"s, because it would cost $90 just to install if i did 4 x 6"s. For the head unit I payed $170. And for the speakers I payed $120. So $290 all up.

CivicEH9
24-08-2010, 02:19 PM
It's really not that hard to get 6"s into the front... Can make your own MDF spacers for around $15, probably less.
All said and done though, it's not all that important. It's not about having the biggest speakers in the front, it's about quality. If anything if you have two different sized speakers you're better off with the bigger ones in the back because if they're a similar quality, a larger speaker will have a naturally better bass response and bass is less directional than mids and highs which you'll be getting from your front speakers. This way of doing it would work much better with a cross-over but a bit of fiddling with pan, fade and eq will get it sounding good.
In the end though you just have to get it so it sounds good to you. Everyone's different

arverson
24-08-2010, 04:14 PM
yup mdf spacer is all thats needed

civiceh9, it actually IS about having the biggest upfront and nothing to do with quality, ill explain why soon.

the 'non-directional bass response' youre talkin about is SUB-bass (think 90ish hz and below).. everything above that is MID-bass which IS directional.

4"ers will have no hope of playing any mid-bass efficiently, especially if theyre cheap 4" kenwoods. realistically theyre only playing from about 250ish hz and up. thats a big gap of music missing from upfront. the only mid-bass will be from the rears and that will only drag the sound stage back behind you. no amount of cross-over(dunno why this is mentoned), pan(balance?), fade or eq-ing can fix that.

that said, dont think the OP's concerned at all about sound staging and imaging so this will fall on deaf ears.. but theres a reason why i said swap the 6 and 4"ers around or have no rears at all.

but yer, longs you like it EG5VTI then s'all good

CivicEH9
24-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah I see your point.

I mentioned the cross-overs in terms of sending bass only to the back speakers so it's not just blasting the 4"s and ruining their higher range response but I guess in a cheap system that's not going to happen anyway and it might not work too well with 6"s like you said. I think even though the OP said cheap I started thinking about my ideal system. Oops

Ok so we can ignore what I was saying before, runs into the money too much to set something like that up properly. Quick question though... Would it really be worth putting 4"s in the back? Seems like they wouldn't add all that much to the sound but maybe that's just me having a bigger is better mentality. I run 6"s front and back and still not really happy with it but you get what you pay for

arverson
24-08-2010, 04:41 PM
it might be worth it if your building an a/v system when you watch dvds/movies in the car (and even then id still use 6 or bigger).. but other than that, if you use it to listen to music then nah

CivicEH9
24-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah that's what I thought. Even my 6"s can't really handle the kind of music I listen to with any kind of quality, 4"s would just sound nasty and even worse if lots of bass was involved. Ah well, thems the joys of a budget sound system

EG5VTI
27-08-2010, 04:57 PM
UPDATE: I decided to give the Kenwood's to my brother. Lost $40 in this whole poo but what can you do.

Decided I deserve some good speakers, why not get something nicer.

So just got some 6" Infinity's for the back and the 6" Polk's for the fronts. Getting installed on Tuesday. Yewwwwwwwwwwww!

EG5VTI
27-08-2010, 05:02 PM
swap em around.. have the 6"ers upfront, 4" in the rears.

6+4 inch kenwoods suggest a budget of more-or-less $3-400?? if thats the case then if you want more bang-for-your-buck & better results, then dont bother upgrading rears and spend it all on fronts splits or coax's and focus on the install (service holes sealed, sound deadened, replace the flimsy and leaky plastic brackets with mdf spacers).

which alpine head unit is it? (just seeing what tuning features you have)

Sorry forgot to reply to this.

I got this one --->http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/mp3-cd-tuners/alpine/200-watt-mp3-cd-tuner-sku-25575/