PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Help

EK1 Civic
18-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi im new to camshafts and wanna learn a few things about how to tell where a camshaft produces its power ie: low, mid or top end.

This is a link to profiles for my engine http://www.tighecams.com.au/cars.htm Then Honda>Then 16v s.o.h.c. (Directions to get to cam profiles, they don't have a direct link, sorry)

Im wondering how i can tell what cam is for low end and one that's for low-mid power. Basically wanting to know how to identify the purpose of the camshaft specs and where they deliver their power.

Thanks for input in advance

Leon.

dougie_504
18-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know this brand, and if I were you I'd consider Bisimoto for a D-series cam as strong opinion seems to be that this company invests the most time into the D-series.

Whether or not you build the rest of the engine will probably determine what cam shaft you should get.

If you're leaving the engine standard (valves, valve springs, retainers, cam gears, bottom end etc) you might want to consider a 'Stage 1' cam shaft which is normally a straight swap for your stock one and will allow for a small power increase but without compromising normal driveability.

If you're building the engine you could consider Stage 2 (for daily driving) or a higher stage for racing.

Most modifications you do to Hondas (especially on any VTEC engine) will provide you with power gains mostly noticeable in the high-end of your rev-range. If you want low-end power in your SOHC D-series then keep it stock.

EK1 Civic
18-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm just wondering if a cam would be a good investment for a boost up to 4k rpms in a d16y4.

EK1 Civic
18-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I was reading stage 1/2 are fine with stock springs and retainers. I don't understand the difference between the stages. Does it increase power throughout the whole rev range? or just mid etc. Tighecams are an Australian company so shipping and cost might not be as expensive. Which is why i wanted to know how to distinguish between their profiles and how to understand where they deliver power.

VTECnique
19-08-2010, 08:57 AM
go with either the 958 or 959. the stage 1/2 cams usually produce their power mid to high end. I can remember ages ago on the old bisimoto website, he had advertised either the stage 1 or 2 cam had power gains from about 1700rpm upwards....

VTECnique
19-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't know this brand, and if I were you I'd consider Bisimoto for a D-series cam as strong opinion seems to be that this company invests the most time into the D-series.

Whether or not you build the rest of the engine will probably determine what cam shaft you should get.

If you're leaving the engine standard (valves, valve springs, retainers, cam gears, bottom end etc) you might want to consider a 'Stage 1' cam shaft which is normally a straight swap for your stock one and will allow for a small power increase but without compromising normal driveability.

If you're building the engine you could consider Stage 2 (for daily driving) or a higher stage for racing.

Most modifications you do to Hondas (especially on any VTEC engine) will provide you with power gains mostly noticeable in the high-end of your rev-range. If you want low-end power in your SOHC D-series then keep it stock.

I have to agree with dougie here, bisi has spent alot of there time on camshafts for D-series. I believe beeza got a bisi cam in his Y4 but he's also got an emanage to tune it with....

EK1 Civic
19-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeh i plan to tune it down the track, doing intake this weekend hopefully. Thought id do camshaft as my timing belt needs to be replaced so rocker covers coming off. Thought it would be perfect time to do camshaft.

go with either the 958 or 959. the stage 1/2 cams usually produce their power mid to high end. I can remember ages ago on the old bisimoto website, he had advertised either the stage 1 or 2 cam had power gains from about 1700rpm upwards....

Why those profiles? TO me all i see is numbers how did u distinguish what they do and where the power comes in?

I checked out bisimoto and thinking about the stage 2 cams, power is increased from 1700-5900. Which wen i shift at say 3k rpms and drop to 2k rpms im still in the zone where the powers increased. And i like the range it increases power. Gotta save about $450 if i were to buy it from bisimoto. If i were to buy a d16y4 cam from them and regrind it to stage 2. Rather have my stock as spare in case shit happens in the future.

VTECnique
19-08-2010, 01:59 PM
have you gotten a quote from tighe yet for one of their cam regrinds?!

Oh & dont forget, a stage 2 cam wont run at its max effeciency unless its tuned properly....

EK1 Civic
19-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I havent got a quote from tighe yet their lifts are different to bisimoto, but i will get a quote and post it back for everyone. I won't be getting the car tuned till i finish headers/exhaust.

VTECnique
19-08-2010, 07:31 PM
if ya get a stage 1 cam, it sgould run fine on the stock ecu. bisi said he could grind a cam to work well with the stock ecu....