PDA

View Full Version : changing tie rod ends in a integra dc2

GSi_PSi
22-08-2010, 06:13 PM
hey guys just wondering if there is any DIY changing the tie rod end>?
and after wards i would need a wheel alignment ? would they adjust the toe themselves?

mocchi
22-08-2010, 10:32 PM
hey guys just wondering if there is any DIY changing the tie rod end>?
and after wards i would need a wheel alignment ? would they adjust the toe themselves?

1. jack car up
2. take wheels off
3. remove cotter pin
4. undo 17mm castle nut
5. use ball joint separator/hammer to remove tie rod ball joint from knuckle
6. use 19mm and 17mm spanner to crack loose tie rod ends from steering rack. not 100% sure on the spanner size, on top off my head it's 19 and 17.
(counter clockwise on tie rod, clockwise on 19mm nut).

yes you need alignment afterwards. no, toe will not adjust by themselves.

GSi_PSi
22-08-2010, 11:43 PM
yeah im up to to removing the rod ends from steering rack its so hard man the 19mm keeps slipping :S and its 19mm and 22mm

so toe alignment is included in wheel alignment

mocchi
22-08-2010, 11:46 PM
yeah im up to to removing the rod ends from steering rack its so hard man the 19mm keeps slipping :S and its 19mm and 22mm

so toe alignment is included in wheel alignment

yeah, when you do wheel alignment, they adjust toe and camber.

i know it's really hard sometimes, i used wd40 and still cant take em off.
ended up using dremel to cut abit of contact surface between nut/tierod. hope you wont have to do that.
good luck!

GSi_PSi
23-08-2010, 12:16 AM
i keep telling myself not to give up on it lol well ive got the tie rods out of the subframe i picked up cause i had lots of room to work with lol.
just the ones on the car giving me shit

Bludger
23-08-2010, 09:59 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?114521-Replacing-Outer-Tie-Rod-Ends-%28civic%29&highlight=tie+rod

GSi_PSi
24-08-2010, 12:32 AM
okay well ive done it but now im bit confused as the rubber from the tie rod end isnt flat on one side, its kinda sticking up on one sidee.. what have i done wrong :(
ive tried tightening it to make it flat but i dunoo, should i be worried? or will the people at the wheel alignment fix it all up lol?

GSi_PSi
24-08-2010, 04:27 AM
also ive lost two of the cotter pins, were can i get another one from>?

riruiz_88
24-08-2010, 07:11 AM
what i did to get the rubber boot of the tie rod to sit flat on the knuckle, was to tighten the castle nut just enough to see the holes on the thread of the tie rod. that should be enough as thats how i had it on mine before removing the tie rod from the knuckle

get the cotter pins from super cheap, if you still have the old ones bring them along with you so you can compare. they sell different thicknesses so just keep a watch out