PDA

View Full Version : type-S?

n/a
02-12-2003, 11:35 PM
what are my the chances of importing a type-S? :D :D :D

btw.. don't tell me what i don't want to hear ;)

Bumble B
04-12-2003, 02:36 PM
*looks around for Prelude Boy azjs* 8)

genesis
04-12-2003, 02:42 PM
buy a vti-r

AP1 F20c
04-12-2003, 04:32 PM
http://www.teamevade.com/forum/uploads/post-3-35172-1.jpg

azjs
04-12-2003, 06:36 PM
(1) Move to japan for a year
(2) Purchase Type S
(3) Import privately back to Aus

hehehe...

It's not impossible, but it'll be hella expensive. Plus the Type S features ATTS, I'd rather have the LSD as featured in the SiR

-az

justin
04-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Hehe that's not the type-s, it's the ozzy ATTS (+ a 20 bucks type-s) badge . Type-Ss have different under front spoiler.

I'd say if you are qualify to import cars your chance are quite good as there are alot of them in Japan.

Like genesis said, get the vtir, you'll save money...

azjs
04-12-2003, 06:46 PM
I doubt that Justin - you're talking to a guy who owns almost every Honda under the Sun, and all of them, "Bone Stock"... ;)

-az

justin
04-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Whois the guy that owns every honda under the sun? Type-Ss are not like CTRs, they're part of the normal production run over there so i can't see why a grey importer can't import them.

Dream`R
04-12-2003, 08:57 PM
What's the difference between our Vti-r and the Type-S?

I thought the H22A was the best of the prelude engines?

justin
04-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Type-S has 220hp where as the vtir has 195-200hp. Both are h22a but there are internal differences in terms of parts used.

romeo
04-12-2003, 11:24 PM
sorreh justin.. *stands back* hahah.

A'PEXi
04-12-2003, 11:54 PM
haha blue honda badge stock from factory? :P

azjs
05-12-2003, 12:05 AM
That was changed (badge) :)

The internals weren't the only things changed (ie higher CR pistons, hand ported/polished EX, cams), but also the intake piping design was different.

Noel, anything further to add? :?:

-az

n/a
05-12-2003, 08:18 AM
buy a vti-r

err.. bro it's a type-S.. not like the everyday prelude VTi-R's you on the roads every second.. (no offense to VTi-R drivers ;) )

i know the VTi-R is a great car and all but nothing in the prelude generation beats a type-S!!

n/a
05-12-2003, 08:20 AM
i was thinking since gen5 ludes are Australian sold that a type-S would be near impossible to import..

"err.. prelude type-S? what's wrong with the ones we got in Australia already? Hell no i'll let you bring that car into my country!!"

azjs
05-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Well, their thinking isn't 'way' off track. For example, how an integra VTiR compares to a Type R - the Type S doesn't compare to a lude VTiR in the same way. It's relatively easy to build the VTiR engine to S spec, with an already-supplied ATTS tranny and bobs your uncle, you have a Type S. There's anothing else really different besides some minor interior colours and badge. It'd be cheaper than importing it and you get the same result in the end.

If you still want to import it though, all it takes is money and time really - it should pass emissions easy...

-az

AP1 F20c
05-12-2003, 09:09 AM
This is why I cannot understand there's so much negative feelings around ... I love it when I have to defend myself for my own actions ... Dunno for what? But to answer some of your questions, read clearly because you've alot to learn before you start opening your mouth making endless assumptions.

Az, thanks for standing up for me. I love the "Prelude Brother" love, don't ask me why but having gone through so many Honda communities and alike, the Prelude commuity, regardless of which ... Still holds the true air of how I love all Honda communities should be, the way Honda is discussed/spoken about by the "Prelude Brotherhood" is just nice. 8)

Alright, here we go ...

It's not impossible, but it'll be hella expensive. Plus the Type S features ATTS, I'd rather have the LSD as featured in the SiR.

As Az's mentioned, in short the "Japan/Reside" method is the most feasible method if you really want to go all out. However, I highly doubt the "turnaround" value and true understanding of why you would do it. If you want to go to that sort of extremes to get a particular JDM model, you might as well aim for the highest ... NA1. But in short, it's not something simple.

Yes, the BB6 Type S features ATTS, not something you can particular "find" useful or "different" on the roads. The true difference can only be spotted on trackuse. Laptimes speak for themselves and that's where ATTS is most useful. While there is a JDM BB8 SiR S Spec featuring the same engine as the JDM BB6 Type S. The SiR S Spec features the same powerplant but with 4WS and LSD instead. This is more rare than a JDM Type S.

Hehe that's not the type-s, it's the ozzy ATTS (+ a 20 bucks type-s) badge . Type-Ss have different under front spoiler.

I'm surprised you can tell so much just by looking at a not very high resolution picture. So Son, can you tell me where I can buy that $20 Type S badge? Cuz I have never seen one even at ricer shops in Sydney. I guess I'm not looking hard enough. :roll:

Yes, Type S has a different front spoiler from other models, and that one you're looking at is the Type S spoiler. Sorry if the angle doesn't show you everything, I didn't take the picture to tell the world it's a Type S. I took it because I felt like it. And if you're gonna ask me next why there is a Type S emblem and an ATTS emblem, I'm gonna tell you that both emblems are supplied by Honda from factory. In case you didn't know, not even Type S Preludes have the front Type S emblem. It's an option for the owner to choose what emblems they want at time of purchase. While not every car has to look the way the factory releases them. Pictures on the net isn't a bible of truth to judge what others have in real life so please don't pass your judgement like it's factual.

Whois the guy that owns every honda under the sun? Type-Ss are not like CTRs, they're part of the normal production run over there so i can't see why a grey importer can't import them.

Once again, another myth of ignorant non-factual statements. Something for you to remember very clearly, this applies in Australia. In general, if a model (IE - Prelude) is released by a particular manufacturer (IE - Honda), you cannot import the particular car/model as a grey import, but CAN/MAY BE eligible for personal import as it can be purchased locally through the manufacturer. I have not seen a handful of JDM Type S in Australia let alone state the fact it's possible. If you want more information on grey imports, here are some useful links.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.htm
http://raws.dotars.gov.au/

haha blue honda badge stock from factory?

Genuine Honda Monte Carlo Blue H AP1 emblem ... Yes, from factory. And?

The internals weren't the only things changed (ie higher CR pistons, hand ported/polished EX, cams), but also the intake piping design was different.

You've pretty much summarized it all up in terms of mechnical differences 8). Besides, the car is sold.

AP1 F20c
05-12-2003, 09:20 AM
i know the VTi-R is a great car and all but nothing in the prelude generation beats a type-S!!

Mechnically, stock vs stock ... The Type S is faster, but only slightly. It's PS not BHP. Besides, you still need basic bolt-on mods to make this a true smooth accelerator.

n/a
05-12-2003, 09:29 AM
cheers AP1!

so theres no "real" difference in engines?

i thought there was.. well i perceived it to be.. well thats what these forums are for! to ask and learn!

as for the importing of cars sold in Australia, i thought so!

i know of only 1 JDM iTR in Aus.. cost him hell of alot. i reckon its all worht it :D

revolution
05-12-2003, 09:40 AM
http://www.teamevade.com/forum/uploads/post-3-35172-1.jpg
hey Noel, I remember that being ur old ride...correct?

AP1 F20c
05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
so theres no "real" difference in engines?

On paper, yes ... There is a difference, but in reality that 20ps more isn't exactly "significant". Stock S vs stock SiR, you're looking at about 1 car length in acceleration or so. IMO, it's nothing to really hype about, and definitely not worth the trouble/effort going all out hunting one.

hey Noel, I remember that being ur old ride...correct?

Yup. Once upon a time. :oops:

justin
05-12-2003, 05:26 PM
AP1 F20C.... you can get it on ebay SON!

eknine
05-12-2003, 05:34 PM
the genuine ones at premium prices like USD16 + cost of shipping....still can't see where on ebay to get it for AUD$20 shipped for genuine? :roll:

revolution
05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
the genuine ones at premium prices like USD16 + cost of shipping....still can't see where on ebay to get it for AUD$20 shipped for genuine? :roll:

yes i would like to know where u can get it for $20 aswell...

AP1 F20C.... you can get it on ebay SON!:

And just to let u know "SON", AP1 F20C does not use cheap/imitation shit on any of his cars that could be considered "ricey" if thats what u are trying to imply :roll: . I am sure anyone else on these boards that know AP1 personally can vouch for that.......

Rowie
05-12-2003, 06:03 PM

yes i would like to know where u can get it for $20 aswell...

AP1 F20C.... you can get it on ebay SON!:

And just to let u know "SON", AP1 F20C does not use cheap/imitation shit on any of his cars that could be considered "ricey" if thats what u are trying to imply :roll: . I am sure anyone else on these boards that know AP1 personally can vouch for that.......I can vouch for noels ride, not ricey. The only cheap thing in his cars is the driver lol :D :D ;)

justin
05-12-2003, 06:19 PM
I aint trying to imply anything dude, just answering his question.
I think you guys are jumping the guns here...

justin
05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
1) Where did i say AP1's car is ricey?
2) Where did i say API uses cheap imitation shit?

revolution
05-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Sorry about the jack there N/A.....I will stop arguing any further so then we can get back on topic to N/A's original question.

I reckon that just buying a local VTi-R is the best choice, as it would be a pain and costly to bring over an imported Lude.....Good luck with whatever option u choose (I'm sure u will end up getting the imported Type S ;) )

romeo
05-12-2003, 09:29 PM
*shrugs* points at da nerdy k*nts to answer question.. heheh

luzinit
05-12-2003, 10:02 PM
*shrugs* points at da nerdy k*nts to answer question.. heheh

heheh
nah they just know more man.. more knowledgeable, not nerd kunts heheh :P

eknine
06-12-2003, 08:39 AM
alrite for all, if any of the senseless insinuation-we all know that this can only led one way.... :roll:

back to subject.....well for most have already summed up that importing can be a trying process, so unless you are prepared to do some bit of research and exploit the loops, i'm sure with your time and $$$$$..lotsa money you may get it for now the sure way is the exploting the "reside" clause.... :!:

also maybe getting the car can cost just this much, some say imports do save(to a certain extend- i agreed)...but for honda ..and private import of racing or near race calibre requires a very pricy tag on insurance...thus the running cost in the long run may not justify the time and money poured into importing...addendum-parts wise, honda has always been know to be very dear on used and new parts...that unless you can subsititue it with aftermarket.

above all i see no point in import a type-s when its said that the local spec is almost equivalent, you be better off trying to exercise conversion on the local -2 benefits, you get the experience and the the joy of getting to know your car....

in the long run unless you are trying to import a NA1 that i must say is a different story all together, else you just have to live and abide by the R&R set by the government....unless you are running for PM or the transport ministerial, trust me- you have my vote if you change the imports rules:)

to all that drive a honda..i say. show "the honda brother lurve"...and improve on the ricy boys forum image...if you don't know what i meant read my comments on this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21823#21823)

ps: my add that the oz prelude owners does show alot of what i'm saying..that support,the love and you have my respect :)

azjs
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
TT

Well said guys - I hope this answers the original question well ;)

-az

n/a
07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
it sure goes azjs!
lol! revolution it's cool 8)

geeze guys thanks for the response :shock:

i know what ya all are saying about the type-S, but it's just something i would like to haev in garage.. you know :D

j-spec honda's are hard to import..

how about gen4 VTi-R's?? ;) ;) ;)

LEWD
10-12-2003, 01:33 AM
i cant be bothered reading every response, but can i ask is that car supposed to be a type s?

if it is, can i just ask how the problem with aussie petrol was overcome? When i had all the type s stuff in my engine, petrol was a big problem with the engine and it took me ages to get it right.....

AP1 F20c
10-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Something from observations during my time, the export-spec ECUs for the BB6 vs the JDM-spec ECUs were very different thus resulting in various issues. One common problem with the sensitivity on the export-spec ECU is highly questionable is "piggybagging", a simple such observation was taken when 2 models of the same line-up were installed with a V-AFC.

1 resulted in a never ending "CEL problem" upon hook-up/power-on while the other took awhile before the "CEL problem" started. All indicating errors from the PGM-FI tester pointed to the VTEC solenoid failing. Even though a new replacement was made, this did not solve the problem until the entire "piggybag" was removed. When the "CEL" is activated on the BB6, the redline is lowered a further 1K+RPM "apparent safe mode". And completely killing any sort of "performance".

As for the fuel, with the use of an adjustable FPR and octane boost, no problems of pinging or retarded timing was experienced from the JDM S.

LEWD
10-12-2003, 05:27 PM
see with me, i had a s/s, so i couldnt hook up the JDM ECU, however on the testbed, there were problems with the JDM ECU running australian petrol...ie Optimax, whether is be with a VAFC or not...

I had to go back to using the AUDM ecu and using the piggyback VAFC unit and a few tricks of the trade....

so is that car a australian registered type s or not?

AP1 F20c
10-12-2003, 06:59 PM
You could source a JDM ECU for your SS if you wanted, it isn't as rare as it seems, often those wrecked H22As being imported consisted quite fairly mixed with MT and SS, in NSW anyway.

I wouldn't see how running a JDM S ECU on a non-S engine would work like a JDM, it may crack-up, fire and run like a normal car but it's not recommended. I personally used BP Ultimate and the NOS Offroad Version Octane Boost during the entire period, filling-up isn't exactly "economical" but it certainly did work like a charm. Mind you though, there were other cooling modifications in place to ensure everything was fullproof to prevent "heat increase".

The few BB6s during my time that were playing around with electronic piggybags and stuff on the AU ECU faced numerous problems, (IE - Car performing worse than before after proper tuning, excessive fuel consumption, "CEL" constant activation etc). And it drew to the conclusion that such electronic devices were un-helpful and only adding further problems than solutions/performance increases, thus they were removed. I must say, you guys down in VIC must have better "VAFC tweakers" than we do up here.

;)

And yes, it was a NSW registered JDM S. I can only wonder where or who owns the car now. :roll:

LEWD
11-12-2003, 02:07 PM
the engine that was in my car was from a Sir S Spec front cut....complete with ECU but w/Manual transmission and LSD....we ran the engine on in the front cut with ozzy fuel and we found problems running it....

AP1 F20c
11-12-2003, 04:53 PM
If you're still running this setup, perhaps you could try my fuel combination. If you want further details on smooth operation, drop me a PM. In short, the fuel is an important component and also keeping the engine in "optimum" temperature at all times. That's how I tuned the car and saw no problems to that.

LEWD
11-12-2003, 05:16 PM
car is long gone, i had it running perfectly, all the way to 8500rpm....but it took a while to get the car like that....just seeing how you went about it....

raramichael
13-12-2003, 10:51 PM
atts models are rare. i missed out on one 18mths ago. 70000km for $23500

dam!!!

redliner
04-03-2004, 09:16 AM
There are 6 ways to tell if it a Type S
1. It only came out in 2000 and after
2. Red Engine (Type R engine)
3. Night Hawk Black Pearl is unique to the Type S only
4. ATTS
5. Only comes in 5 speed MT
6. Different Intake and Piston

That an addon bodykit, but ur right about the Type S in the front... Type S dun have that badge in the front originally. I know bcoz i own one of the 1st Type S built and imported privately, plus badge that say much, it jus say what u have.. considering mine got badge anywayz :x

I'll get some pic on to show ya all when i have the chance

azjs
24-03-2004, 10:29 AM
And yes, it was a NSW registered JDM S. I can only wonder where or who owns the car now. :roll:

=redlineR hehe, *found*

btw it also has revised intake piping, but check out the link provided earlier in the thread(?) it pretty much covers everything

-az

h22a accord
28-04-2004, 03:34 PM
For those that think that think that atype s is not much different than a normal h22a read below.

Tech Specs

H22A Spec S In order to produce more naturally aspirated power from an already powerful engine, Honda realized that it must improve on such things as intake resistance and heat dissipation. The H22A engine received yet another dosage of Honda's racing technology and custom engine work. Though not as widely known, the Type S engine, like the Type R engine, receives a port-&-polish job from Honda.

Engine

Improving on its already sky-high 10.6 compression ratio, Honda created a new piston head that increased the compression ratio to 11.0. By doing so, the burn-off response increased, helping heat dissipation, as well as improving torque throughout the power band. The VTEC valve timing, lift, and duration were also adjusted as well. The valve lift on the intake reaches 12.2mm, while the exhaust end reaches 11.2mm. As far as production engines go, these are really high numbers.

Intake
Port & Polish

Honda felt that it would need to improve on the intake path to compliment the increased high-end performance. The air intake box was made into a funnel shape -- utilizing what Honda calls "dynamic chambers." The throttle body was also bored out from 60mm to 62mm. Even the material used in the inlet manifold was changed to a more fine, granular one in order to make it more smooth. The valve seat was re-adjusted from 60 to 45 degrees. Finally, the cylinder head and intake port was treated to a manual port-&-polish job by Honda technicians. Honda is making these engines as if they were meant for the track.

Exhaust

By lowering the intake resistance and making an engine that burns efficiently, Honda needed to finish its tuning job by allowing for the exhaust to get out smoothly. The exhaust manifold, while retaining its outer diameter, had its opening size increased. The dual-pipe design to follow was made truly cylindrical, (as opposed to oval) and the wall lining was made to 15mm -- decreasing exhaust interference. The catalytic converter was also increased in size, and the exhaust piping increased from 50.8mm to 57mm. The silencer efficiency was increased from 97 liters/second to 113 liters/second. This completes the improvements made on the air flow efficiency of the Prelude Type S.

azjs
28-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Make sure you quote where you got the info from - vtec.net

-az

h22a accord
29-04-2004, 08:39 AM
thanks to accord wagon club for that info wwww.accordwagonclub.com

cam.