PDA

View Full Version : HELP: V-tech Leak? Oil leak?

itequilla
26-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi guys,

I went to a mechanic to check some leaks on the bottom of my engine, apparently its not the head gaskets or valve covers causing the leak,

the mechanic told me it was Vtech leak? was wondering if anyone knows about any leaks that might come from the bottom of the engine?

His trying to charge me $70 for fixing?

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,
Steve

riruiz_88
26-08-2010, 02:56 PM
would probably be the vtec solenoid or the distributor gasket that has failed. but both of these are on the head, do a google search to see where they are.

mocchi
26-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi guys,

I went to a mechanic to check some leaks on the bottom of my engine, apparently its not the head gaskets or valve covers causing the leak,

the mechanic told me it was Vtech leak? was wondering if anyone knows about any leaks that might come from the bottom of the engine?

His trying to charge me $70 for fixing?

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,
Steve

if you go honda to get vtec solenoid gasket, it's abt $45 for the one that goes between solenoid body to head.
or you can diy and save $25. its easy to swap.

edit: v-tech!

Premature Vtec
26-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Leak could be comming from anywhere I replaced my vtec solenoid still leaking.

duzy
26-08-2010, 07:01 PM
what motor? b16?

more than likely its the cam plug seal (common problem for b18's) its like a round cap cover that sits just at the end of the camshaft. Cost like $20 +/- from honda
While changing that also change the vtec solonoid rubber seal and distributor rubber ring seal.

$70 seems reasonable assuming he charges per hour

DC2-PWR
26-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I changed my Distributor O-ring on my B18C engine, 1 week later oil still leaked but not as much.

I then changed the VTEC solenoid last Monday, I have no signs of oil leaking yet.

So change both of the seals, I'd get a proper mechanic to do the Distributor O-ring orelse you could stuff the timing up, then your car will mis-fire randomly etc. Vtec solenoid was just unbolting 5nuts and unscrewing 1 screw (10mins max).

Good luck,