PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Removing stock airbox and resonator from EK Civic

EK9
04-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Remove the stock resonator piping. The point of this is after installing my short ram pod intake, the resonator was useless (it supposed to reduce induction noise for your stock airbox).

Required:

Tools:
- Screwdrivers - philips and flathead
- Wrench and various sized sockets (sorry bout the technical terms :rolleyes: )

Other:
Optional of course, but safety is key
- Safety goggles
- Gloves

Steps:

To remove the resonator, you will have to remove your stock airbox, bumper and a part of the rubber/mud guards underneath the car.

1. Remove your stock airbox if you haven't yet. I already removed mine and have a short ram intake installed already, but i'll still show you how to do it here.

Using a wrench and 10mm socket (i think, most of the bolts on the civic are 10mm), undo the two bolts shown. Then using a screwdriver, loosen the ring which attaches the intake piping to the intake manifold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/airbox1.jpg

2. Now you'll be able to wriggle the box and intake pipe off quiet easily (hope i haven't forgot any bolts, did this a while ago...). It should look sumfing like this... the pic still has the piping section attached to the intake manifold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/airbox2.jpg

At this point, it's probably easiest to begin removal of the resonator as there is no intake blocking your workspace. So to do this, we need to remove the bumper first.

3. Using a philips screwdriver, remove the five plastic screws from the top of the grille. EDIT: Also remove the two plastic screws holding the bumper on the sides of the grille. Then using the flathead, pop off the rest of the plastic tabs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator1.jpg

4. Remove the single screw/bolt in the wheel fender that's attached to the bumper. There's one on each side... you mite have to turn the wheel to get to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator2.jpg

5. Finally, remove the last two bolts (10mm) at the bottom of the bumper... Once done, the bumper should come off quite easily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator4.jpg

6. To remove the resonator, there are three bolts. 1 in the engine bay attached to a brass bracket, 1 on the side and 1 at the bottom... all should be 10mm. The bottom one is tricky, it's kinda covered by the rubber flap underneath, so you'll need to move the flap to a side to remove the bolt.

There's also the brass looking bracket holding the resonater in the engine bay, you can remove that too... it doesn't do anything else.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator6.jpg

7. Now the resonator should be loose. However, i thought u could pull the damn thing out, but the plastic/rubber mud flaps at the bottom of the car is in the way. So you'll need to remove the two plastic tabs holding the two pieces. Use a flat head, pry out the centre bit a little, then pop the whole thing out. They're similar to the plastic tabs on top of the gille, just not screwed in that's all. You'll know wot i mean when u do it. Once those two are out, the resonator can come out easily. DONE!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator7.jpg

FINISHED PIC COMING TMRW!!!

8. Now you can either put back everything and do everything in reverse. Or, you can install a new intake while the stock box is out... maybe short ram, cold air intake, dunno... up to you. :confused:

For now, that's it. I'm planning to chuck in a rubber piping to allow cold air to flow from the bumper up to my intake/engine bay, and also make a heat shield of sum sort for my pod... But all that is coming soon :D

Hope this has helped the many ppl who have installed aftermarket air filters.

Cheerio :wave:

EDIT: Added a missing part in step 3.

toE
04-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Nicely done Vinh. :)

**Ghost**
04-01-2005, 08:33 AM
i've actually done this myself as well with mugsee a while back... I never removed the resonator though... was scared of water getting into the engine bay

aimre
04-01-2005, 12:56 PM
N e one got this for an EG???

EK9
05-01-2005, 04:12 AM
i've actually done this myself as well with mugsee a while back... I never removed the resonator though... was scared of water getting into the engine bayWell the resonator doesn't do anything, and it's not blocking water either. You can see the mud flap/lining at the bottom, it blocks water from getting in that part. Can't c how water would get in any other way... And the engine bay is already exposed to water from the bottom! I've got water splash marks on my chrome intake arm... LOL!

EK9
05-01-2005, 04:15 AM
N e one got this for an EG???Well it should be similar... I just did everything myself, no help needed for these things imo. Just look for all the nuts and bolts and don't pull anything too hard if it doesn't wanna come out :D Civics are built similarly anyways...

EK9
07-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Finished my intake project... for now ;)

Here are the rest of the pics.

Resonator completely removed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator8.jpg

Piping installed to feed cold air.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/coldairpiping2.jpg

Probably wont stick with this setup, but it'll do for now :D

joyride
07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
EK9, can you make a mention that having a pod filter WITHOUT an AIR BOX is a defect for NSW people? just so people dont ask over and over again. :)

EK9
07-01-2005, 02:47 PM
i guess you've mentioned it already :D

as i understand, it's a similar law for Vic, an exposed filter is illegal. other states, i got no idea... Mine's pictured like that cos i removed mine ;)

oh and remember, that's y there's the disclaimer at the top of every writeup

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

bennjamin
07-01-2005, 05:39 PM
nice work Vinh :)

PS to all DC/EG owners - taking ut the resonator + airbox etc is VERY similar - only difference is the first step ( which is a few less bolts). Very straight forward...

KB
07-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Nice Writup man!

Although if I had a genuine EK9 i wouldn't **** around with shit. Id leave it be. But thats just me.

EK9
08-01-2005, 01:43 AM
i'm sure if u had an EK9 for a while, you'll wanna mod it... :D
i'm not doin anything nasty, just undoin a few bolts here and there, then adding other bits n pieces. of course, i can bring it back to stock easily, no probs. :thumbsup:

TwistedGurl
08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
great write-up dude.

im tempted to attmept it but knowing me.....i would probably end up taking the boot lid off some how! heheheheee =]

HRV-80Y
08-01-2005, 09:45 AM
great write-up dude.

im tempted to attmept it but knowing me.....i would probably end up taking the boot lid off some how! heheheheee =]
haha u shld get a cai n pod airfilter twisted ! hear ur vtec roar !

i'll install it for ya ! freen of charge...

EK9
10-01-2005, 01:17 AM
lol... well i think we should all get our hands dirty at least once... and i'm talking about working on the car, nothing else boys and girls :D

it's not actually that hard... just have all ur tools ready and sum time just in case something comes up... oh and a spare car to drive if u need to go sumwhere immediately, hehehe ;)

blackek4
23-05-2005, 02:13 AM
nice job :)

newmski
10-06-2005, 06:47 PM
hahaha i did this to my eg when i first got it
u won't feel the power but the sound is SOOOO much nicer

Terry
10-06-2005, 07:18 PM
i did excertly the same things as you......except i still keep my factory air box..:D ..good job!

nickiipoohz
12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
hey did u feel an improvement by taking out the resonator and replacing em with the hoses?

Terry
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
a big YES for this question....esp driving at night in winter:D

nickiipoohz
13-06-2005, 03:38 AM
cool cool.. but wouldnt it be better to actually extend u're CAI pipe to the front bumper?

|N|
13-06-2005, 03:49 AM
cool cool.. but wouldnt it be better to actually extend u're CAI pipe to the front bumper?

search is ur fren ...

look here for ur answer

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513

luzinit
13-06-2005, 04:27 PM
on 96-98 model bumper, there is no where to feed the pipe effectively, unless u cut a hole.. so that is probably why vinh didnt do it!

VTi_b0i
01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
very nice mate :) *thumbs up*
is it possible to take out the resonator, and like botom half of the stock intake, and leave the stock air filter box? cause ive had a pod on for a few months and today being bored i put my old K&N panel filter back on and it feels ALOT better bottom end but i hate how the stock filter is so god dam quiet.... cant hear the raor of VTEC at all :(
anyone got any ideas to make the best intake?

newmski
01-10-2005, 09:38 PM
i basically removed resonator box and left a short bit of pipe from the stock filter box down into the tire well area

roar
26-11-2005, 02:26 PM
on 96-98 model bumper, there is no where to feed the pipe effectively, unless u cut a hole.. so that is probably why vinh didnt do it!

untrue...i just did mine on my ek4...
and using smaller diameter piping (i fit two into the stock airbox air inlet hole), it is possible to bend it around the frame of the car and into the radiator grille area...
i cut out a little black piece of plastic from the grille and just fit the pipe there...

it is barely barely visible (the pipe being black as well) but i'm not sure if this direct exposure to airflow is offset by the extra twist involved disrupting airflow

i can post pictures if you want

MrRocafella
02-01-2007, 06:22 PM
would love to see pics if you can be bothered! would be big help:D

V_tec 4 life
08-01-2007, 12:26 AM
good stuff :P

can you feel a differance at least ??

clutch
24-08-2009, 09:39 PM
lol cable ties - car enthusiasts best friend!

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2009, 11:50 AM
wow, I love this thread, rep +1

munkaii
27-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I managed to take my resonator off without getting the front bar off. Undid some of the clips and screws in the splash guard in order to access to nuts and bolts for the resonator box. That + some wriggling action and it popped out.

FastFwd
27-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Btw all open air filter is allowed in the great state of WA :)

mihand1976
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi guys I am new to all this stuff. What's the deal with exposed air filters? They are illegal without a box? Please clarify as I am new to all this stuff and want to tweak for fun but don't want major dramas. Thanks alot.

joyride
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
depending on what state you're in, its usually illegal without an airbox. fastfwd says its not in WA however.
youre better off keeping the airbox, buying an aftermarket panel filter for it and removing the resonator (that big white box in the thread creator's pics)

mihand1976
08-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I did his mod as per the original post and wow...simple. Took about 45 minutes all up but my air intake seems a bit loose, just hanging there. Should the chrome pipe be bolted to something? Cool sound though. Anyone had these shake off or anything? Changing leads next and adding strut bar soon.

NA-tuned
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
In Qld, exposed air filter is fine as long as it is secured, (DIY bracket:p).

aznalex
24-02-2010, 12:12 PM
so i took the resonator off my civic
resonator piping was connected to the resonator
so i left that out too..

all im getting is a louder noise that sounds like a muffler enhancement :/ (2700~5000rpm)

no sucking air noise while driving (well thats the noise another enthusiast explained)

oh, i didnt upgrade to a pod filter, just left the stockbox there

the noise sounds so douche'y, i think im gonna have to upgrade to a POD filter sooner, or throw the resonator back on.........

aznalex
25-02-2010, 09:37 PM
y no1 reply

joyride
26-02-2010, 12:06 PM
your post looks like a statement more than a question, hence why no one replied?

jks24
27-02-2010, 12:04 AM
good write up, ahhh i remember when I installed my CAI I did things the hard way and removed the resonator without removing the bumper.

aznalex
27-02-2010, 11:09 AM
your post looks like a statement more than a question, hence why no one replied?

oh,, yeh i have to agree there

cheapdouchebag
02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
ill be doing this soon, getting a sri n feeding it downwards with some silcon hoses as an extension so it acts like a cai bahaha. unless a cai is cheaper than going to all that mess.
was just wondering, anyone ever get pulled over for this?
in a civic i mean, i know a bloke whos running turbo in his car n he has that non-turbo car restriction on him (p-platers) but he rckns nobodys gunna pull over a civic.
any thoughts?

jks24
04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
ill be doing this soon, getting a sri n feeding it downwards with some silcon hoses as an extension so it acts like a cai bahaha. unless a cai is cheaper than going to all that mess.
was just wondering, anyone ever get pulled over for this?
in a civic i mean, i know a bloke whos running turbo in his car n he has that non-turbo car restriction on him (p-platers) but he rckns nobodys gunna pull over a civic.
any thoughts?

is it worth risking your licence and huge fines driving a car your not meant to be in? Better still what happens if he crashes it and insurance will not cover him? lol

To answer your question though I have injen CAI on my EM1, the cops have never looked under my bonnet so they have never had the chance to ask me about my intake.

Dont draw attention to yourself and most of the time you will be right on the roads:thumbsup:

ninzee
04-03-2010, 01:12 AM
^^^^^ +1 on that
dont do any stuid sh1t cops jst love fcuking up p platers over eventually every1 gets caught

will2k
27-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Great right up!

And yeah if you dont have hugeee rims with your car dragging along the ground and drive normal then the cops shouldn't bother you.

I had an R33 Skyline with CAI and exhaust etc with 17" rims for almost 2 yrs and never had any cop pull me over for anything other than a random breath test.

aznalex
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Great right up!

And yeah if you dont have hugeee rims with your car dragging along the ground and drive normal then the cops shouldn't bother you.

I had an R33 Skyline with CAI and exhaust etc with 17" rims for almost 2 yrs and never had any cop pull me over for anything other than a random breath test.

it depends on where you drive which will determine the "random stops" by police.
id say your chances would be higher if your driving around a poorer suburb/town as crime rates could possibly be higher .

this would lead to more police patrols / police being on guard with high suspicion so theyd pull over a souped up car which could look stolen.

best case scenario for the cops would be finding a stolen car and arresting the suspect. (they probably have fun arresting pple lol)
worst case scenario for P platers would be getting that defect and a fine along with it.

redefine
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
not necesarily the poorer suburbs. only time i have ever gotten randomly pulled over has been in large drinking areas. glenferrie, city etc.

aznalex
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
yeh, pubs definately
, but i was on about everyday driving, normal days n stuff

Shalz_Em1
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I would just like to out it out there, i made a cold air intake from my stock em1 air box. If you want pics and instructions on how to do let me know, it quite loud aswell.

cheapdouchebag
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
hi OP - id just like to make a note for you i just did this job today.

with an eg. you will need
a phillips screwdriver
and a 10mm adapter on a socket wrench if ur not going to use a normal wrench

i ended up having to use a t-handle socket wrench lols, the bolts were so rusted on my p.o.s but the thread wasnt gone :D
but yeah, the hexagonal head screws are 10mm.
so use a 10mm socket if u wanna use the sockets :)

fabezzz
06-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Just bumping up a old thread better then making a new one anyway, How hard is it to remove the resonator without taking off the front bar? i hate taking the bumper off because its a pain in the ass to put back on. Also is it possible to just take the stock airbox off install a SRI and leave the resonator on anyway since it isnt doing anything anyway?

EK1 Civic
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeh you can just take off the stock airbox and leave resonator, but it leaves a pipe towards the left and underneath the airbox that might use your sri space. U know how the stock ek airbox has like 2 square boxes, the leftish one has a pipe underneath thats not connecting to anything aswell as the one underneath the airbox, thats what i mean when theres a leftover piping that might take up your space.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9131/airbox.th.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/airbox.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Just used the same pic from OP and edited it a li'l

fabezzz
07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah i know which pipe your talking about the intake i was looking at is a whale penis intake and i think they should fit, i guess it worst comes to worst ill just take out the res thanks for the reply.

EK1 Civic
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah i know which pipe your talking about the intake i was looking at is a whale penis intake and i think they should fit, i guess it worst comes to worst ill just take out the res thanks for the reply.

Whale penis will work but id personally take out the resonator. Takes 30mins and theres no 2 retarded pipes sitting near your whale penis. It would be a sausage fest =/