PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Consumption (89 ED)

MoonSha
04-01-2005, 06:55 AM
I think there might be something wrong, on my last refill I put 28 L in and had got 300k's off that tank, this tank I'm prolly going to be refilling soonish and I only have around 230k's. Last tank was premium but I also did some big long driving. I don't drive consistantly hard and usually stick to low revs but my fuel consuption seems very poor? I'm not really sure where all my fuel is going, nothing leaks but I do hear a bit of burbling sound from teh exhaust when I let off the gas at higher revs. Is this usualy consumption, it seems very high :confused:

*edit* D15b4 btw, I really like this engine when you push it =D

Kawasaki
04-01-2005, 07:22 AM
ED's run rich on fuel. I dont think you really need Premium it wont do a whole lot for your car. I get a fair bit out of my car but cant say how much. When was the last time your car had a service?

MoonSha
05-01-2005, 05:09 AM
The car has never had a service under my ownership, I bought it around June last year (2004) and all I've done is give it some more oil and replace the battery. When I filled the car up with regular after running on premium I thought something was wrong with the clutch, like it wasn't engaging properly but I now know it was just the change in fuel, with premuim the car wanted to react more suddenly and didn't need as many revs to get going. So definate difference between regular and premuim. This tank has been all city driving, the last tank did 100 km driving from perth to mandurah at a steady 3000 in fifth. I still think that even 300 k's of 28L is too low.

Kawasaki
05-01-2005, 07:21 AM
get a service on your car

Setanta
05-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I used to get 8L/100km in my ED6 on the freeway - considerably less around town - closer to the 10L/100km mark.

By comparison, my EF9 gets 7.5 on the freeway and between 9 and 13 depending on how hard I put the boot in around town.

Don't waste your money on premium - got the cheaper 96 octane but not the 91.

If you were punting around town and got those figures - it might need a tune-up

MoonSha
06-01-2005, 10:02 AM
When you say, "get a service" and "a tune-up" what exactly do you mean. I'm not sure where to take the car, how much should I pay? What will I be asking them to do?

Setanta
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
First - find a decent mechanic - not ultratune or a shitty everyday garage. That's the hard part.

Next, you want a full service, use only genuine Honda parts. Plugs, oil/filter (pay for the expensive stuff, not the crap). Fuel filter and airfilter. Get the valves gapped to Honda's specs (NOT some everyday mechanic's approximation of what it might be). Definitely DON'T use any of the manuals that are available for the ED - they are USDM not Aust based.

Finally - the timing needs to be done to Honda's specs. Nothing can be done with the twin-carbs - except maybe carby cleaner. I'd also do a gearbox oil change and change coolant.

Now the big issue with the ED is that it sucks hot air in from the engine bay as it doesn't have an enclosed airbox. In the heat (ie Perth) this fux your economy due to the air-density. Some solutions to this are a CAI (waste of money IMO) or finding another airbox and plumbing into it. Don't fit an unenclosed Pod filter - it's no advantage. I found that my old ED6 ran better when I did a custom PVC pipe plumb to the front of the car.

Alternatively - buy an EF9 :)

Hope this helps

MoonSha
07-01-2005, 05:32 AM
I figured it would be sucking only hot air, I don't even have a heatsheild on the exhaust manifold, could I easily construct something? I've got some pool creepy crawly piping sitting around here, I could ghetto something up... Maybe not. :D I could construct some sort of minor extension to the pipe and create a heatshield for it? I'm supirised it doesn't suck up alot of crap which gets stuck in the pipe, or maybe it does. Do you know how I can get it apart to check?