PDA

View Full Version : I like my euro

qmjona
04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Thought I’d start the new year with a reflection on my first 3 months of accord euro ownership.

When it was time for a new car I wanted a WRX, but my wife dosen’t drive a manual and we needed a car thatwecould both drive and an auto WRX didn’t appeal to me. Next I decided that an XR6 Turbo may be the way to go if it had to be an auto, but when I test drove them they were so cheap and ugly inside (to my taste anyway) that I couldn’t buy one. So then I though that a GT liberty might be the car for us, and after a drive I loved it, but unfortunately I couldn’t convince my wife to stretch the budget that far. I always liked the euro since they came out, but it just wasn’t my first choice as I was looking for something with a bit more of a performance edge (why the hell don’t the put a V6 in there?). So really as a matter of compromise I got a new euro, std, grey, auto, tints. The other option in the budget was the 2.5 liberty, but for me the euro had the edge as it has a bit more power, and the std. Liberty stereo is crap

It now has over 14000km on it and last week my wife needed a new car so we spent a few days looking and test-driving various cars. After each test drive I couldn’t wait to get back into the euro. Yes, its and auto and I much prefer a manual, but it is still a responsive gear change and it doesn’t leave you cursing the sloppy feel of the drive like some auto’s do. Yes it doesn’t perform like a WRX, but it is above average performance, its responsive, handles nicely and still pulls OK when revved. It has a lovely, almost luxury, feel to drive, its quite and smooth and the interior is classy, and they are still not so popular as to be common.

I guess if money were no option the choice may be different (M3?) but for my needs and definitely for the money this is really a great car that I am really happy with and have got to like more and more as I have owned it. This car has a great balance between luxury, quality, performance and handling in a 4 door car, it must be one of the best cars out there for the money it costs.

I guess everyone will have their own views, that may differ, but then again I am posting on the accord forum.

What don’t I like?

I do a lot of hwy driving and I am starting to get a few stone chips already (but I can’t blame Honda for that).

I slight rattle has developed a low speeds from somewhere in the dash – I really want to find that and fix it.

And the wheels look too small on this car, some cars with 16’s look fine but the big gap between the tyre and the wheel arch lets the car down. When these tyres are due for replacing I want to price some 17’ / 18’s and lowering kit.

Anyway I have really gown to like this car more and more. Lets hope it stays that way.
:) :) :) :) :)

razaman
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Nice post - glad you like your accord so much.

why the hell don’t the put a V6 in there?
That wouldn't make it heaps faster. The 6th gen accord V6's are not that much faster - if at all - the the 4cyl. The engine weighed more - the whole car weighed a couple hundred kg's more. It also had an auto transmission.

nd the wheels look too small on this car
In my opinion every accord has had the same problem since the late 80's. Obviously due to it's target market. Larger wheels and a drop is the best visual enhancement the accord can get.

Raz

Speeder
04-01-2005, 01:28 PM
thats good to hear, i too like the euros, and hey they are common but you can understand why:D my friends looking at either the base euro or the 2.5 Liberty, but i think he will stick with the honda, after i got my honda, he is pretty happy with the quality honda brings out from the factory.
yeah they should have an option for a V6, its australia, hilly roads, a 6 would help especially in the medium car like the euro (accords are bigger) but hey there is nothing really wrong with the 2.4L either, smooth, and fuel efficiant.

razaman
04-01-2005, 01:30 PM
The 2.4 4cyl in the euro has the same power output as the 6th gen 3.0 V6.

Raz

Speeder
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
what about torque??;)

by the way the latest accord has 177kw.......so if you were talking about the same model then yeah....sorry i dunno what the 6th gen is:p

razaman
04-01-2005, 01:46 PM
what about torque??;)

by the way the latest accord has 177kw.......so if you were talking about the same model then yeah....sorry i dunno what the 6th gen is:p FINE - be that way!!:p

The new V6 is of course much more powerful in the american accord. 177kw as apposed to the old 140kw in the 6th gen.

Raz

Speeder
04-01-2005, 01:52 PM
ahh so the latest model accord is 7th generation?

stephen8512
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
the new accord 7th gen surpasses the BA falcon and is just behind the VZ commodore in power output. (i read that somewhere, i think it was in a magazine)