PDA

View Full Version : [QLD] Caught for not complete stop at stop sign

pigcheap
31-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Got a 300 dollar fine and 3 dermit points off today
I think I did stop for half a second
But the angry cop say I didn't
I want to fight it in court
Do anyone have experience on similar problem?
Eg what question will I be asked in court?
What is the chance of winning like?
Any help will be much appreciate Thanks

SpiderPig
31-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't you need to stop for 3 seconds? well in NSW we need to stop for 3 seconds.

mr crex
31-08-2010, 02:28 PM
lol half a second? somehow I dont think half a second is coming to a "complete stop"

eeKayFouR
31-08-2010, 02:29 PM
hey me too! im pretty sure half a second isn't enough mate. you have to come to a complete stop, check both directions for oncoming traffic, then move~ which is should take more than half a second.
in a situation like this, nobody has solid evidence to bring into court. it will be your word against the officers.

lefty
31-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Do anyone have experience on similar problem? No
What is the chance of winning like? Cops word > your word = you lose

Stcmon
31-08-2010, 02:36 PM
i dont think you have much of a case here unless somehow you had a witness to say that yes, your car did come to a complete stop.
was the cop trailing you from behind?

Drew
31-08-2010, 02:41 PM

You have better chances of having a threesome with Paris Hilton and her dad than winning this.

Oh that and you deserve the $300 fine, douche.

pigcheap
31-08-2010, 03:05 PM
It was the right turn when u come down from indoorpilly cinema
The road we turn in is one way so I don't think 3 seconds is necessary...
There was no car on the left sight at all so I don't think what I did was dangerous...
Anyway there is no point for me to defend myself here
I just want to know if anyone has some experience on the same prob
Thanks every one

FDBenni
31-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Pretty sure in Victoria aslong as the car comes to a complete stop, as in the car rocks back, its counted as a stop no matter how long it is, might be different for queensland.

burak213
31-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh that and you deserve the $300 fine, douche.

i hate kents that just slow down and drive off

grinds my gears

$300 seems a bit much though

Drew
31-08-2010, 03:23 PM
$300? Thats nothing, should be $1,000 so fags like him learn to drive properly.

It was the right turn when u come down from indoorpilly cinema
The road we turn in is one way so I don't think 3 seconds is necessary...
There was no car on the left sight at all so I don't think what I did was dangerous...
Anyway there is no point for me to defend myself here
I just want to know if anyone has some experience on the same prob
Thanks every one

Dude, doesn't matter if it was a one way street or not.

1900-hustler
31-08-2010, 03:36 PM
cop the fine champ..

you dint stop as others have already pointed out

NightKids
31-08-2010, 05:17 PM
$300 is just ridiculous though, bloody revenue raising! I agree that u should be fined but not $300

Drew
31-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I think it should be more.

MikeyG
31-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Dw dude go court and you will win take your gf and your dad with you see what happens

WATAJK
31-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Dude listen to me.
Don't worry about others.
There not in the situation your in alright.
Lets be honest.
If YOU THINK your in the right, take it to court.
If YOUR WRONG at the court day, it will be proven that your guilty and you will have to pay the fine and court fees of stuff all.

I'd consider again your option before going to court as the copper will hold a grudge against you for basically wasting his time & also if you win he will aim to get you again for something..
They don't forget people who beat there charges.. been there, done that...
I've paid $2000 in legal fees to prove my innocense.

Depends how far your willing to go... If your not going to lose your license over these points.. Let it go dude..

Best of luck

(How do i know?? My missus at the time got done for this.. I explained it's not worth it.. She copt it on the chin & paid... Some people have NO idea what the process of going through court is like... Say one wrong thing your day is over)

pigcheap
31-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for replying everyone
I am on my p and only have 3 point left in my lisence
(got caught doing 10 above in the beginning of the yr)
My lisence will be suspend for 3 mths if I pay the fine
So I am still considering what to do ...

jdmlvn
31-08-2010, 07:00 PM
half a second is no where enough when u approach a stop sign.

checking the left, right and incoming traffic surely is going to take you 3 seconds minimum.

you dont have much of a case

Ironfist
31-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

I didn't want to start another thread, but how do you go about disputing the charges? On the piece of paper there really isn't any information except 5 different payment methods (guilty unless proven innocent)
I did call one number which said that to dispute go to www.fines.gov.au (not correct website) and lodge an application "letter"
Is that how you do it? because another friends said that you wait for another letter which then summons you to caught and you talk it out there (She did that and argue'd it wasn't her fault and got left off)
So which method is it? (i know it seems like i have answered my own question but just wanting to know other peoples methods)

curtis265
31-08-2010, 07:40 PM
LOL i rolled a stop sign and still past my driving test :D

cracker
31-08-2010, 07:49 PM

u are queit the hero aren't u..

LOL i rolled a stop sign and still past my driving test :D

wtf? thats an instant fail isn't it..

Killa From Manila
31-08-2010, 10:38 PM
LOL at the people who are saying u need atleast 3 seconds to look both ways etc....do u freakin drive with ur eyes closed or look dead straight when u approach an intersection only to look both ways once u have completely stopped? u should be abit more aware of ur surroundings. must mean u always stop at give way signs for 3 seconds also??

and btw when i was taught to drive by a driving school the rules were to do a complete stop. theres no counting 3 seconds bs

SpiderPig
31-08-2010, 11:23 PM
stop signs are place due to poor visibility of the surroundings, where at times u wont have clear vision of traffic to ur left or right until u have reached the intersection. but if u can see around buildings then fair enough

curtis265
31-08-2010, 11:50 PM
^yeah. Most stop signs i find are very debatable, but it's because of stupid ppl we have to live with these rules

StrawberryFace
01-09-2010, 12:14 AM

fukn idiot, relax he is asking for advice not to be grilled by you.

Drew
01-09-2010, 07:53 AM
My advice, stop being such an idiot.

burak213
01-09-2010, 08:29 AM
My advice, stop being such an idiot.

yeah man just relax we all stuff up

Twincam16
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Police cars in NSW have in-car video that switches on automatically when the sirens are turned on, and the record backtracks 30 seconds prior to the sirens coming on. If this is the same in QLD, request a copy of the ICV on disk and watch it yourself before wasting your time in court, as they will use this as evidence

pigcheap
01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey twincap16
The cop was actually standing at that spot
There were cars being pulled up before me ...
I don't think there were any video though, it was a cop bike

Drew
01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Just put it down to experience, pay the fine and don't break the law again.

flipfire
01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
You can take it to court before a magistrate, plead guilty and get the fine reduced (not points)

Vu_civic
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McW1wykqins

cracker
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Just put it down to experience, pay the fine and don't break the law again.

can u just gtfo of the thread lol we get it, u never break the law, anybody who does anything slightly wrong is beneath u. lol fvckn hero

curtis265
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Not exactly make friends as a seller..

I always find that a bigger fine is never a bigger punishment

vvxtam
02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Do anyone have experience on similar problem?
Eg what question will I be asked in court?

if you didn't do a complete stop than just cop the fine mate or else its a waste of time taking it to court.

hisoka
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM

lol your awsome man. you should be mod.

man drink drivers get 300 dollars.

power_of_dreams
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
OP forgot to put on flame suit

GenesisEG
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
There's a few problems here.

The first is that there's no hard evidence to prove you were in the right. Even if you were, it comes down to your word against his, and he is a law enforcement officer. Whether we like it or not, their word will always hold more weight than ours. That's strike number one.

Strike number two is that even if we disagree with the law, and the positioning of signs, and everything else the road authority can throw at us, it's still the law and we still have to abide by it. I disagree with putting a speed camera in a fenced off street with an overpass and traffic lights that is in the middle of a school zone, but I guarantee that no judge is going to let me off if I contest a speeding fine because I disagree with the law. Bottom line, they make the rules, obey them or cop it.

Strike number three is that if your car is modified even in the slightest, you're screwed, even if you're right. My experience is that most police won't pull you over if you are sensible on the roads, even with a relatively heavily modified car. However, if you do get pulled over and you end up contesting a claim made by a police officer, you're done for. Hoons (for lack of a better word) are considered to be the scum of the earth by law enforcement agencies. We rate even lower than the toe cheese. No judge in their right mind would support someone like you in a case unless you had video evidence to prove your innocence. You would find it hard enough to win in court if you were a pensioner widow, you have no hope as a car enthusiast.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's life. I contract for the RTA in NSW, and I can tell you that unless you have some serious evidence, you will never win a dispute over an offence, ever. It just doesn't happen. It's even reaching the point where police officers can book you for speeding based on their estimation. That's how much people trust the judgement of police officers, keep that in mind when you dispute the judgement call of an officer.

Engin09
25-01-2011, 01:35 AM
GenesisEG your wrong, i took mine to court, the cop had a video of me doing the wrong thing, i was in a bus lane 400M before hand. but the video had no speed, i even hit 85 on a 80 road while in that bus lane before turning into uni, my car has an exhaust etc etc so its loud. cop gave me the fine and i didnt even show up on the court date. i get a letter saying your fine is now $120 and not $280 so overall. i forgot about my court date, and the judge gave me a deduction in how much i had to pay, cop's arnet always right, most people who take it to court that ive heard of win.. just say u stopped looked left and right then went, how can the cop ****ing time you three seconds, did he have a stopwatch out? no.. so just argue that u observed and saw no cars and drove off. i rekon ull win 100% :) goodluck champ

sneakygreek
11-02-2011, 11:09 PM
So many Cop Fanboys on here, its amazing

THEEYA
11-02-2011, 11:40 PM
So many Cop Fanboys on here, its amazing

its just Drew the Perfect Citizen of Australia.

quangsuke
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
its just Drew the Perfect Citizen of Australia.

like =D

KillerTofu
13-02-2011, 06:33 PM
are you a cop drew? i think everyone smells bacon...............

as stated before, if you think your right, do something about it! but if you're unsure and doubt yourself i don't think its worth your time and money, but what others said is true, no way the cop timed you, as long as you can be completely confident that you looked both ways and knew what was happening i think you've got a chance.

Sexc86
13-02-2011, 06:41 PM
As soon as i read the topic... i knew it was that stop sign outside the bus stop at indro shopping center. I have seen the police there a few times now ! it was last week sometime wasnt it?

If your not going to loose income / money by contesting it in court (ie having to take a day off work to make a court appearance) I say give it a go. Will all be good experience even if you loose. Dress well, get some legal advice (possible grounds to argu and find out how the general process will unfold in court etc). Build yourself a simple case to present yourself in court... maybe try back it up with a witness. Dont get emotional, act mature and professional - maybe get some character references / testimonals from people you know (Non family related). If you have a good clean driving history, be sure to mention that. Also if you are on a tight budget due to being a student or apprentise works well too.

If you are going to loose money by sacrificing a days income, id say let it slip and pay up. Take it on the chin and move on. Money / Time / Effort is all relative

SuperJDM.
13-02-2011, 07:18 PM
just so you guys know theres a member on here and his a cop so watch the harh bacon words LOL!

menacer
13-02-2011, 07:19 PM
firstly drew ur a tool. act all high and mighty and it wont take long b4 no one gives a crap about your opinion.
secondly THEEYA ur a legend. perfect citizen of australia... very classy burn:)
thirdly i personally suggest taking sexc86's advice, but do beware even if you do win chances are you'll be attracting ALOT more attention.