PDA

View Full Version : OBX lsd for s2000? & help or advice with my diff issue

tamay_s2k
31-08-2010, 10:38 PM
hi guys
im currently looking at a diff rebuild de to having some issues.
just researching and looking up some random prices and i noticed on ebay that there are many of this 'OBX HELICAL TORSEN LSD DIFFERENTIAL HONDA S2000 AP1 AP2' for sale
has anyone actually used these or no anyoen who has purchased one?
i want to no if they r any good at all.
http://global.ebay.com/OBX_HELICAL_TORSEN_LSD_DIFFERENTIAL_HONDA_S2000_AP 1_AP2/390210654705/item

ludecrs
31-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Obx are usually just a replica company.

Need an LSD?

tamay_s2k
01-09-2010, 02:30 AM
yea brad i think i do man
my diffs playing up
went diff joint 2day and my left driveshaft is gone, leaking fluid n all
getting it checked out properly next week
culd have problems with the centre
anything u have in mind?

vyets
01-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Pull it apart first and find out what is actually wrong, your lsd might be fine it could be the other parts that are farked. Also if your left shaft is leaking fluid it might be your left shaft that's busted.

AusS2000
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Yup, there is a lot of confusion about what goes wrong in a diff and what needs to be replaced. The OBX unit (and KAAZ etc) are diff centres. But it's usually the crown wheel and pinion that go, not the centre.

tamay_s2k
01-09-2010, 01:08 PM
yea from what has been checked to this point, my left driveshaft is gone 100%.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2sbs4yo.jpg
look at all the grease thats spalleterd underneath the gar and the angle the driveshaft is at

hopefully wen i lift the car back up to stock height 2day ang get the driveshaft changed, the problems and noise will go.
if it does
next week i will be putting the diff in for a reconditioning and possibly getting the differential collar changed to a J's racing special different collar
hopefully after this, things will run much smoother.
right now its a bit annoying because no differential joint says they are touching my car due to the rear end being so low.
which is kidna weird since im pretty sure there are s2000s that are muhc lower then mine.
thanks for the help guys
i will keep u guys posted

AusS2000
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
In my experience either the driveshaft tripod breaks, or the diff breaks. Never seen both go at once.

I'd say fix the driveshaft and drive on.

AusS2000
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
LOL, I just realised you started this thread talking about an OBX diff centre. Then we moved on to the crown wheel and pinion. Now it looks like a driveshaft.

And all because your car is slammed. I'm guessing you have 'yoof' on your side. ;)

tamay_s2k
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
lmfaoooooooooo
yea man
well i was going to make another thread but i might aswell use the 1 i have made already.
im getting the driveshaft changed
just want to no some experience people have had ith differentials. Im now on my 3rd driveshaft. and thank god the diff casing hasnt snapped.

AusS2000
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
lmfaoooooooooo
Im now on my 3rd driveshaft.

Reckon your car might be trying to tell you something?

tamay_s2k
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
yea
im abusing it 2 much and the height is to low
guess its time 2 swap driving styles...or buy a s15 :P
nah i cant let go of my baby =[

zhong
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
When you replace your drive shafts, do you replace them with brand new gear? Or just second hand? I've got a spare LHD one if you want to give it a bash.. It's pitted, and the spider bearings are stuck though... lol

vyets
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
No matter what car you get, once your lower it :( :( I've had my car low for over 2 years and things are fine *knocks on wood

Just get a new driveshaft, or get the shaft fixed. Those diff joints that your bringing it too are most likley telling you they won't touch it to make it sound realy bad so they can charge you a shitload.

s2kjn
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
As much as I hate hearing that your having the same problems as me, Im glad to hear that I'm not the only one!

I got my diff rebuilt 4 weeks ago which they changed the crown and pinion, was fine for a week, then took it back to the mechanic as it was making the thudding noise again. Now, the mechanic is in the process of chaning the driveshafts. while its there, thought might as well get my clutch changed too!

tamay_s2k
04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
how much did it cost for u 2 change ur crown and pinion?
and to what brand? liek where could i order this from

s2kjn
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
$1,500 from honda. rebuild the diff was $600. Labour for mechanic to remove & put diff back into the car $350.

But my car is lowered too, so I dunno...seems like a common issue to be having these diff problems with lowered s2k's since we're not the only ones!

s2kjn
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Ps, I got my drive shafts rebuilt....how much did u pay for new ones??

tamay_s2k
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
each driveshaft cost me 450 installed in the past
so is urs an actual strengthened diff or a standard honda diff?
bcuz if im going 2 touch mine, im definantly gonna make it stronger
wen buying a lsd, does that come with the crown and pinion? bcuz if so, im just going to order a a kazz or cusco 1.5 way lsd which will cot me 1600 landed through nengun

vyets
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
No the lsd normally dosent come with crown pinion or final drive. Those parts are the ones that normally fk up the lsd unnit itself might not be. Also a kazz 1.5 way is very rough for daily driving. U probally have mates with locked diffs ever see how when they park they leave skid marks and the wheels chudder. Thats what it will be like pretty much look into it some more before u decide to buy a lsd.

tamay_s2k
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
oh ok
yea my mate kris has a cusco lsd in his s2000 and it sounds like a lock diff
wen he turns it makes a chk chk chk chk sound
wat are the s2000 lsd units standard.
i thought they were 1.5 way?

jbird
04-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Another thing to consider the rear diff barely holds 1L of oil so it can overheat the oil quickly if your giving it a lot of stick. So fresh oil is a must if your taking it to the track.

The Nissan R200 diff holds like 2L!

Just to add to what Vyets said.

The Crown wheel and pinion usually chip, the actual LSD unit doesnt break easily.
The actual housing could use reinforced caps to hold sht in place.
As well as a diff collar to prevent movements that could chip the cW and pinion

Tamay the standard is a Torsen. It's not an LSD in the sense that it 'limits slip' ... it transfers torque to the wheel with more grip when there is slip in one of the rear
wheels but only if the both wheels are still on the ground.

tamay_s2k
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
yea
i just got my diff oil replaced yesterday
made a bit of difference and there was no metal shavings of any sort in the oil. smelt quite bad but.
next week im getting a new axel installed on left since it was leaking. what should i honestly go for next?
i was thinking of going for the J's racing differential collar since the stock one is apparently one of the reasons for failure.
would that be a smart move or should i juts purchase a new final drive and crown pinion. ALSO where would i purchase such. i no i can get the diff collar from nengun delivered and all but im a bit unsure on where i would get a decent price for the final drive gear and crown pinion
sorry guys
im still trying 2 get my head around this differential thing. still a noob aswell.

foowoei69
05-09-2010, 03:48 AM
K&A make a nice r200 diff conversion with up rated shafts they in Adelaide and also diff technics in Sydney so a kit also. Give em a call and c what they got.
I picked up a kit from diff technics without the r200(coz got lots of friends in they Nissan scene) for about the same as what ppl were quoting me just to fix the diff. Lol.
It's nowhere near as pricey asthe inline pro kit. Also they in oz so shipping is like $50 or something like that.
If it's as good as they crap on about it's worth it.
I found 2 diff for under 300. Was thinking of learning how to set up a diff. Haha. And These arent too expensive to mess with.
Found a few new/near new lsds bein sold on Nissan forums for cheap as. They also got tons of car that are bein wrecked. (Hmmm. I wonder what that says about em. Lol. Jk.) But yeah their diffs are plentiful. Haha. With a fair few options to muck around with. Like swapping the housings and ratios also mech diffs for them are cheaper. I think. So when urs does happen to wear out there's alway a quick replacement out there.
Suppose that's another alley to look down.
IMO if we keep beakin/prematurly wearing out the stock part. Itneeds an upgrade :p.. Bad excuse but it's good enough for me. Hehe

ludecrs
05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
each driveshaft cost me 450 installed in the past

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200363418541&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

jbird
06-09-2010, 02:13 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200363418541&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

what a joke. everything in the US is so cheap :/

foowoei69
06-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah. The s2k over there new is like 30 or 40k over there. But they got heaps more ppl and s2ks there, also we get taxed almost twice for everything. Sux ass bad huh.
Also seems like when u say it's for an s2k. The price suddenly goes up abit.