PDA

View Full Version : What motor!

Jono Civic
31-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Well im now trying to work out what Engine I should get for my eg4 hatch. I have done a little research and been told a few things... Ive been told the B18c vtec is just a weapon and dont really need to turbo it. And from looking around here the b16a is a wikied motor and is nice when its turbo.

What im after is a powerful motor that has the potential to be a decent track car. Not a show stopper or race winner. Just something for a good boys weekend at the track. But be able to get me around everyday. Also I would like something that is a bolt in. Yeah I know I gotta change gearbox/drive shafts, ecu, engine loom and all that. So what are you thoughts on what motor I should be looking at??

Next little question im currently running the twin carb vtec in my eg. This means I need to upgrade my fuel pump as its not good enough for a EFI system. Do I need to upgrade my tank as well or just the fuel pump?

Thanks for all your help! Ill have a build thread going in a couple of days. Moving house and everything is semi packed up.

dougie_504
01-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Track duties = suspension man. Get some front/rear sway bars and strut braces. Check your suspension bushes and get some high-temp brake pads :)

ninzee
01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
r u gunna turbo or not?
if so go b16a if not go b18cr either way u wont regret it

and to add to what dougie is saying about brakes, you would also want to upgrade your brake system if your going to the track, generally you look at the donor car
ie, if you get a b18cr you want ITR brakes and if ur gunna get b16a you would want ek4 brakes

mugen_ctr
01-09-2010, 12:27 AM
B18c are pretty much priced same as B16 so the choice is really upto you, get a half cut if u want the best from that donor car

dougie_504
01-09-2010, 12:47 AM
IMO B18C2 is the same price-range as a B16A, but B18C7 or JDM B18C is more expensive by a good $3g +/-

MikeyG
01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
j series

dougie_504
01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Best for track IMO is JDM B18C/B18C7 or B20VTEC

WA-EG
01-09-2010, 11:09 AM
for a great daily with awesome track potential i would go the B18c of some sort... Buying a type R halfcut would net you a great brake upgrade to a 282mm front disc brake. with a nice high temp pad would pull up an EG in no time.

Remember to sort you suspension before you hit the track. for a daily swapping to a DC2R shock combo would alright, but if you plan to track i would look into an adjustable coilover set up. Speak to Gav at Honbits. he knows truck loads about track work and he's building a K20 EG track car as we speak.

WA-EG
01-09-2010, 11:12 AM
IMO B18C2 is the same price-range as a B16A, but B18C7 or JDM B18C is more expensive by a good $3g +/-

thats not just opinion, thats fact..... But when you consider the benefit of the type R engine..... Extra power, better gearbox ratios, LSD that 3k starts to seem worth it.

TheSaint
01-09-2010, 11:14 AM
stick with the suspension and brakes that we have talked about in the past

as the others have said - stick with your initial decision to get a AUDM Dc2 Type-R engine swap

being carby atm u will have to change to efi - fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump

also i have been seing some really cheap swaybar and lca combos going around in the WTS section on this site man ... u really need to get ur head in there and stay on MSN =D

that being said someone is selling a k24/k20a frankenstein setup in perth in the WTS section atm for only $4k which is epic cheap =O

ninzee
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
that being said someone is selling a k24/k20a frankenstein setup in perth in the WTS section atm for only $4k which is epic cheap =O

lol yea but dont forget he will need a gb, im and tb and a kpro to accully go anywhere, thats at least another 3.5k not incl labor

WA-EG
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
lol yea but dont forget he will need a gb, im and tb and a kpro to accully go anywhere, thats at least another 3.5k not incl labor

very true but if thats all you had to spend to have a K powered EG you're long way ahead. a B18 swap is going to cost you 6k for halfcut plus labour if you cant do the work your self. pretty sure a K EG will monster a B series EG.....

TheSaint
01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
k24 with k20a type-r head EG will chomp and spit out a b18c EG =D

engine bay will be very tight and good tuning will be a bit trickier in WA

cars with this setup usually go for over 20k$ lol

WA-EG
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
k24 with k20a type-r head EG will chomp and spit out a b18c EG =D
engine bay will be very tight and good tuning will be a bit trickier in WA
cars with this setup usually go for over 20k$ lol

what he said. Lol......

Engine bay would be tight, but its been done enough now that there are some good mount kits available. im sure a number of people on here could recommend kits.
Tuning wise, if you nice you could get a base map from someone whos done it before, then any tuner (within reason) should be able to do the rest. few good workshops could do it easy.

Play you cards right and you could have it converted for 10k. Bargain.

Jono Civic
01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
for a great daily with awesome track potential i would go the B18c of some sort... Buying a type R halfcut would net you a great brake upgrade to a 282mm front disc brake. with a nice high temp pad would pull up an EG in no time.

Remember to sort you suspension before you hit the track. for a daily swapping to a DC2R shock combo would alright, but if you plan to track i would look into an adjustable coilover set up. Speak to Gav at Honbits. he knows truck loads about track work and he's building a K20 EG track car as we speak.

Thanks for all your help! WA-EG Im going to head down to Honbits on monday. I take it that they should be able to sort me out with a half cut?
Im currently doing some handling mods and have got eg6 brakes on the rear. Im saving for some hight temp pads and some better rotors. I think its between b16a and a b18c. I would love it to be turbo so im swigging more to the b16a.

Thanks again....

WA-EG
02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all your help! WA-EG Im going to head down to Honbits on monday. I take it that they should be able to sort me out with a half cut?
Im currently doing some handling mods and have got eg6 brakes on the rear. Im saving for some hight temp pads and some better rotors. I think its between b16a and a b18c. I would love it to be turbo so im swigging more to the b16a.

Thanks again....

Yeah mate...... if they can't they sure will know someone who can.

I think if you can, try and go for a ride in each if you can. The turbo will be good, simple power.

The B18 is torquey. Which is what you need on the track. Makes for a nicer daily driver too.

GSi_PSi
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
if you want got a mate selling k20z civic for 14.5k

kaze
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
the dc2r package will be a better option for a street driven car as you can retain the luxurys, also a much simpler swap.
if you get lucky with the front cut you can get alot of extras, all which is mostly a straight fit.

i got 2 ITR front cuts from KYP for a resonable price considering what they came with.

TheSaint
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
i agree with kaze - that way keeping ur a/c and p/s wont be a big problem ... and you get some nice upgrades like the brake master cylinder =)

WA-EG
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
i agree with kaze - that way keeping ur a/c and p/s wont be a big problem ... and you get some nice upgrades like the brake master cylinder =)

me too. the ITR engine swap into an EG is the most user friendly. makes for a damn quick little car specially if you add headers, intake and exhaust. im guessing would be somewhere around 140hp atw before any mods. plus its standard so will go for ever if treated well.
plus for Perth summers, its nice to have the aircon cranked.

eg5civic
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
me too. the ITR engine swap into an EG is the most user friendly. makes for a damn quick little car specially if you add headers, intake and exhaust. im guessing would be somewhere around 140hp atw before any mods. plus its standard so will go for ever if treated well.
plus for Perth summers, its nice to have the aircon cranked.

Easy 140hp atw with I/H/E

my b16b made 138hp atw with I/H/E and its AFR is all over the place

Jono Civic
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah after reading through again, Im gonna stick with the DC2R. Im going to head down to Honnbits and KYP on monday to talk some money. Just need to save up now haha. Thanks for your help guys.