PDA

View Full Version : VIC [VIC]registradion of new engine

Cappuzero
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Just hope to get some info for registradtion of a new engine B16B to a civic eg GL
What i need to do and prepare for registradion?

bungsai
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
woudlve been faster for you to go to vicroads website that make this damn thread!

http://vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/Modifications/NotifyingVicRoadsOfChangesAndModifications.htm

danage
21-09-2010, 10:41 PM
What chance would I have of registering a turbo dc2 from interstate in Victoria? It doesn't come with an engineering cert, its on REVS as a repairable write off. Is it worth it?

quangsuke
22-09-2010, 07:38 PM
What chance would I have of registering a turbo dc2 from interstate in Victoria? It doesn't come with an engineering cert, its on REVS as a repairable write off. Is it worth it?

not worth it.
unless ur willing to go and get it engineered

danage
22-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Would the engineering just be for RWC purposes?? What if I could get a Roadworthy and registered without the engineer cert? Would i still have trouble in the future? And how much are Engineering certs these days?

Symphorced
26-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Would the engineering just be for RWC purposes?? What if I could get a Roadworthy and registered without the engineer cert? Would i still have trouble in the future? And how much are Engineering certs these days?

You'll be in trouble if you ever get pulled over, other than that.. how will they know? I know a lot of B18 and B16 conversions don't get engineered. That's a bit different though as a turbo is a bit more obvious. Also ,if it's a repairable write off then you'll need a VIV certificate too.

As stated before, too much hassle. Don't bother.

SHU-ES1
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread for this topic but what happens if the car is bought interstate and was registered over there with a H22 into EK. do i need to get VASS here in melb before i can transfer registration with vicroads? or will a rwc suffice? thanks in advance!

Symphorced
05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
If it's already engineered then I dont think you'll need to get a VASS. Best to clarify with VicRoads though.

bbds
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I have called vicroads, they have advised me if the engine is already registered with the vehicle in another state. You wont have a problem transferring it over to victoria

SHU-ES1
05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
nGGGG!

chinx_4eva
14-04-2011, 02:46 PM
sorry to bump this back up.

just another similar question but this time, the vehicle is unregistered so either way ill need to go to vicroads for an inspection
but upon doing that I also wanted to do an engine conversion, nothing like a B16 or anything, just a D15B4 dual carb to a ZC.
I was reading on VicRoads about change of engines and it states 2 options:
Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle and Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option.

so how are we to verify that its a 'option' for the vehicle?
but either way, is it true ill still need an engineers certificate and a VASS certificate right? (not sure if its the same thing or not)

thanks for any help :)

WATAJK
15-04-2011, 06:21 AM
hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread for this topic but what happens if the car is bought interstate and was registered over there with a H22 into EK. do i need to get VASS here in melb before i can transfer registration with vicroads? or will a rwc suffice? thanks in advance!

All you need is a RWC.
Don't listen to all these jokers.
If it's already registered, all you need is a roadworthy, take it to VicRoads, hope to god they don't check the engine number against the car and you should be sweet.

Symphorced
15-04-2011, 01:16 PM
All you need is a RWC.
Don't listen to all these jokers.
If it's already registered, all you need is a roadworthy, take it to VicRoads, hope to god they don't check the engine number against the car and you should be sweet.

Eeerr what? That's what everyone else has already said.

If it's already engineered then I dont think you'll need to get a VASS. Best to clarify with VicRoads though.

I have called vicroads, they have advised me if the engine is already registered with the vehicle in another state. You wont have a problem transferring it over to victoria

WATAJK
15-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Eeerr what? That's what everyone else has already said.

If the car has CURRENT rego.
Just gotta register it here and hope they dont check engine numbers.

Symphorced
16-04-2011, 03:57 PM
If the car has CURRENT rego.
Just gotta register it here and hope they dont check engine numbers.

Even then it doesn't matter because the engine is already registered to the chassis (despite it being done interstate).

WATAJK
17-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Even then it doesn't matter because the engine is already registered to the chassis (despite it being done interstate).

if engine is registed... all u need is RWC

hmetro24
29-04-2011, 01:04 PM
sorry to bump this back up.

just another similar question but this time, the vehicle is unregistered so either way ill need to go to vicroads for an inspection
but upon doing that I also wanted to do an engine conversion, nothing like a B16 or anything, just a D15B4 dual carb to a ZC.
I was reading on VicRoads about change of engines and it states 2 options:
Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle and Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option.

so how are we to verify that its a 'option' for the vehicle?
but either way, is it true ill still need an engineers certificate and a VASS certificate right? (not sure if its the same thing or not)

thanks for any help :)

Any info about this kind of swap. just d to d series. what do we need to register an engine to a car ??

Symphorced
29-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Any info about this kind of swap. just d to d series. what do we need to register an engine to a car ??

If the replacement engine was an option from the dealership then no need for engineering certificate. Just go take it to VicRoads and they'll register the engine to the chassis.

For example: You can go from a D16a8 to a D16y1 in an EG Civic as the D16y1 is from the EG Vti. However, you will need it engineered if you're going to a D16y4 because it was not released for the EG, only the EK.

hmetro24
30-04-2011, 09:17 PM
What if i swap d15b4 to d16a8. if i get rwc with out changing rear brakes to drums. will they pass it in vic roads ??
engine same year 92

Symphorced
30-04-2011, 10:10 PM
What if i swap d15b4 to d16a8. if i get rwc with out changing rear brakes to drums. will they pass it in vic roads ??
engine same year 92

D16a8 into an EG Civic GL will be fine and not require engineering cert.

GL brakes are already drums. I think you mean changing to discs? They only check that kind of stuff if you need it to be engineered. In this case, it will not be relevant.

Oxer
01-05-2011, 03:56 AM

If the replacement engine was an option from the dealership then no need for engineering certificate. Just go take it to VicRoads and they'll register the engine to the chassis.

For example: You can go from a D16a8 to a D16y1 in an EG Civic as the D16y1 is from the EG Vti. However, you will need it engineered if you're going to a D16y4 because it was not released for the EG, only the EK.

You will need a recipt with the engine number written on it, and thats it.

JDM-BOY
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
hey guys i got same problem

i want to do a engine swap.

got a '94 EG GLI would a ;
b16a/b18c need engineering?

thanks

Symphorced
01-05-2011, 09:55 PM
hey guys i got same problem

i want to do a engine swap.

got a '94 EG GLI would a ;
b16a/b18c need engineering?

thanks

Have you read this thread at all?

ericl33
06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Will b20 in an ef8 (originally b16) need a VASS?

cannot clearly decipher this by reading vicroads site.

Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form. (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Forms/default.htm)

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Forms/default.htm) and provide VicRoads with:

a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

3. Replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or an optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structual alterations.
The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine, have been completed.
A Change of Vehicle Description form (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Forms/default.htm) must be completed providing new engine details. An inspection to confirm engine details is also required unless a Certificate of Roadworthiness or VASS Approval Certificate including the new engine number is provided (only for a currently registered Victorian vehicle). An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine.
When a VASS Approval Certificate has been supplied for a replacement engine, then an equivalent replacement engine can be fitted without another VASS Approval Certificate being presented (eg 350 c.i. V8 engine replaced with 350 c.i. V8 engine).

xridox
12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
yeah this seems to be newly added to the vicroads site.

In the case of b18c into eg, i think a VASS is no longer required, a stat dec from a mechanic will do. As long as there hasn't been any structual alterations have been done the chassis, which there won't be.

b20 in ef8 should be ok i think as well.

It states "but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or an optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structual alterations"

doesn't say anything about engine cc's .. as long as power, mass and emissions is equal or close to that of an optional engine (b16) and as long as there is no structual alterations ( i think this is the most important bit) then no VASS is needed i reckon.

Can anybody else confirm this???