PDA

View Full Version : Taking a look at this s2000

jrstyles
01-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey guys im taking a look at this car on the weekend

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8809077&__Qpb=true&Cr=12&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294964924%20903&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&__No=0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=27&__sid=12653C63AFAE

Anyone know the history of it? Any info would be nice. Cheers, jason

Engin09
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
never seen it before, probly casue im in sydney :P
but!
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=775801&st=0
read that :D

jbird
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
It's got some sh*tty ebay special exhaust. Dislike immensely.

AP2 radio door.

It's got the whole OEM kit i.e side strakes, spoiler and lip.

Make sure its got a full service history, these cars don't like being neglected and are very oil dependent and require oil in between services too.

JamieP
03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I really dont think its our place to be commenting on or judging fellow s2k owners cars to potential buyers. Especially not in a public forum (for all we know it could belong to a fellow ozhonda member as well). ESPECIALLY if we havent personally inspected the car ourself. Also I wouldnt really go around calling a buddy club exhaust a shitty ebay brand.

As engine mentioned, their is a great write up on the boards about what to look out for when buying an s2000. If you do all the correct checks and use a bit of common sense you should be right. Also the car has very low Ks for a 2000 model so thats a plus.

All the best with your search/purchase. Also make sure you test drive a couple of s2000s before you settle on one. Their a great car and your going to love every minute of owning one :)

jrstyles
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks alot guys. I printed out all the s2ki info and im also looking at 2 more cars. Hopefully if all goes well, i'll have one by the end of the week. A question for owners, what is this like as a daily? Because mine will be a daily. Are there any things you dont like about the car?

Engin09
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
best daily drive car ever :) lol.. just my gearbox is abit notchy and it feels like i concentrate to much on trying to not crunch ;(... ANOYS ME SO MUCH! but ye i think the problem is the shitty oem oil.. ima change that and see how it goes. but for a daily drive 10/10

Engin09
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Any info would be nice.
and Jbird gave info that he dislikes the exhaust, i think it was a fair call and he didnt diss the car either, he named a quality he disliked and other qualities he liked, he also told him to check a couple of things and did not say the cars faulty in any way.

SuperJDM.
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
It's got some sh*tty ebay special exhaust. Dislike immensely.

AP2 radio door.

It's got the whole OEM kit i.e side strakes, spoiler and lip.

Make sure its got a full service history, these cars don't like being neglected and are very oil dependent and require oil in between services too.

what you mean shitty ebay exhaust?

"Buddy Club exhaust (stainless steel)"

JamieP
03-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Engine, the point I was trying to make is that if I were trying to sell my car, I would be disappointed if fellow s2kers were bad mouthing it to potential buyers on here. Especially if the negative things they were saying werent all that substantial.... as I wouldnt go around calling buddy club a shitty ebay brand, when its actually a quite reputable brand. Their are better exhaust systems out there yeh, but i wouldnt go calling it a crappy ebay brand. For all we know, the person interested in buying the car doesnt know all that much about jap after market companies as of yet and could take that comment as 100% true.

no disrespect intended to jbird, Im just saying I wouldnt appreciate it if it were my car that was up for sale.

P.S the s2000 is an awsome daily driver! the only problem with it is your going to become addicted to driving it and start making up any excuse you can to get behind the wheel and start clocking up the Ks. The only annoying thing about an AP1 is the limited visibility out of the plastic window. but its easy enough to upgrade the roof and get a glass window.

euromandeluxe
04-09-2010, 02:31 AM
best daily drive car ever :) lol.. just my gearbox is abit notchy and it feels like i concentrate to much on trying to not crunch ;(... ANOYS ME SO MUCH! but ye i think the problem is the shitty oem oil.. ima change that and see how it goes. but for a daily drive 10/10

the OEM MTF 06 is good stuff mate, I wouldn't use anything else in my box. sure your synchros haven't had it?

this car's great as a daily, but, I'll point out it's not the greatest car for long freeway drives. the seats aren't great for DD either - since I got my S, I've had consistent upper back pain which the physio puts down to 'bad posture' which IMO is because of the lack of lumbar support and the side bolsters pushing your shoulders forward (into the proper driving position for spirited driving)

other than that, this car's nearly perfect. wouldn't drive anything else, and I honestly don't think I'll ever sell it.

Engin09
04-09-2010, 02:36 AM
how can i check the synchros and how much would it cost to fix?

euromandeluxe
04-09-2010, 02:43 AM
how can i check the synchros and how much would it cost to fix?

ahah that's tough, because you have to have the box opened up, which according to another thread on here costs 500-1000 alone.

I think you should try an MTF change - fresh fluid makes a massive (noticeable) difference to shift smoothness. try that and see how you go!

jbird
04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
It's one of the droniest brands of exhaust you can buy. It's not that loud from the outside and very bassy at idle, but if you drove it around the drone will annoy the hell out of you so take my word for it. If the OP goes and test drives it try driving it at a sedate pace to see what I mean. I know this as fact, you can put in the silencers and that will reduce the drone but then it would be near pointless. It shaves 10kgs of weight over stock if that is a plus.

I said "Sh*tty ebay special" exhaust sarcastically if anyone missed that. Buddyclub make some great products at a great price point, exhausts not being one of them and there are certainly better exhausts you could buy for $900+.

Being a public forum and my opinion not be a slanderous attack rather an informed opinion I think I have every right to say what I said.

OP can go and test drive this car and report back if what I said was untrue.

jrstyles
04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey guys i looked at 3 cars today, the first one being the link i posted. It is sensational. Clean, neat and tidy.
The upsides being the buddyclub exhaust and just how well its been taken care of. The downsides..the exhaust is hella loud, like really loud, and theres a slight crack on the lip and also, there are no log books. But before you tell me not to go ahead and buy it because it doesnt have a service history, hear me out.
The owners dad is a mechanic for porche and pretty much hand picked this car from about 6-7. He services the car with all the goodies he gets from porche. The car comes with receipts and paperwork from when they purchased the car as well. Although there is no proof that they looked at that many cars and etc, but in saying this they seem like good people and legitament. Well anyway, the other 2 cars i looked at were average, wear and tear here and there but expected for a 10 year car right? But this one has pretty much been nurtured. The diff has been changed as well.
First time driving an s2000 is just wow. It is absolutely sensational. I was pretty much smiling the whole time although saying this, the s2000 is not that of an easy car to drive fast compared to something like an ep3. Unless you know how to drive it, taking off fast is not as easy as it looks. Well that pretty much sums everything up. Ive made my decision and will have the car by the end of next week. Thanks for the time you guys have taken to reply to my thread. jason

jbird
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
It'll be difficult to prove this to new potential buyers of your s2000 if you ever sell it that someones dad has been servicing it, something to keep in mind.

Plus the S2000 needs valve clearances done every 40,000kms so that might not have been done.

Its hard to take off fast because the flywheel is quite light.

jrstyles
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
It'll be difficult to prove this to new potential buyers of your s2000 if you ever sell it that someones dad has been servicing it, something to keep in mind.

Plus the S2000 needs valve clearances done every 40,000kms so that might not have been done.

Its hard to take off fast because the flywheel is quite light.

You bring up really good points. Im having second thoughts now. But anyway, Im having a compression check next week and replacing the front windscreen for roadworthy because there is a slight crack. Also the exhaust is too loud to get a rw cert, and i have no idea if there are silencers for them does anyone know? Im going to an exhaust place next week to see what they can do about it. Anyhow, anyone know how much a new windscreen should be? I got quoted $350 from obrien, and i have no idea how much the exhaust place is going to be. MMMM decision's decision's im hesitant now.

jbird
04-09-2010, 08:48 PM
The windscreen price sounds alright.

The exhaust should hae two bungs that you stick into the mufflers that can quieten it down. It'd be better if he had the stock exhaust that you could swap over for RWC and swap back if you are inclined.

If it floats your boat then buy it, but in general dont just rush into it.

For example does it need new tyres? new brakes?

jrstyles
04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh yeah i just remembered the car comes with stock exhaust and intake. Its just a bolt on bolt off job?

jbird
04-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah i just remembered the car comes with stock exhaust and intake. Its just a bolt on bolt off job?

Yep, intake is pretty easy.

Exhaust is a bit harder cause its really heavy and if your lying on the ground its harder to get leverage etc.

But yeah bolt on bolt off, I'd pay a mechanic to do it though. It would take half an hour on a hoist or 10 hours in your own garage haha

jrstyles
04-09-2010, 11:27 PM
just wondering about valve clearance, lets assume it hasnt been serviced, is there any permanent damage?

pure_na
04-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Engine, the point I was trying to make is that if I were trying to sell my car, I would be disappointed if fellow s2kers were bad mouthing it to potential buyers on here. Especially if the negative things they were saying werent all that substantial.... as I wouldnt go around calling buddy club a shitty ebay brand, when its actually a quite reputable brand. Their are better exhaust systems out there yeh, but i wouldnt go calling it a crappy ebay brand. For all we know, the person interested in buying the car doesnt know all that much about jap after market companies as of yet and could take that comment as 100% true.

no disrespect intended to jbird, Im just saying I wouldnt appreciate it if it were my car that was up for sale.

P.S the s2000 is an awsome daily driver! the only problem with it is your going to become addicted to driving it and start making up any excuse you can to get behind the wheel and start clocking up the Ks. The only annoying thing about an AP1 is the limited visibility out of the plastic window. but its easy enough to upgrade the roof and get a glass window.

that's a fair call, however i have sold a car which people on forums had varied opinions on. some liked it, some didn't. i was happy for people to ask about it on forums because as a seller it meant less buyers wasting my time :).
also, i know someone who got screwed over buying a car because he wasn't an expert on it. i wish he had of asked forum-goers about it, as the ozhonda community has helped me a lot in the past.
anyway, i'm not trying to argue, i just like it when people ask about a car on the forums and others make comments....i like it because it shows that ozhonda people care about somebody they have never met making the right decision in relation to something they know a lot about...maybe not comments like 'shitty ebay exhaust' lol, but then again, if you were set on a car and somebody said it had a shitty ebay exhaust would you turn it down lol?

JamieP
05-09-2010, 12:25 AM
How much did you end up paying for it if you don't mind my asking? Glad to hear all went well with it mate

jrstyles
06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
How much did you end up paying for it if you don't mind my asking? Glad to hear all went well with it mate

I got back to the seller im not too sure anymore, let you guys know what happens at the end of the week if its mine or not ;D

jrstyles
10-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I bought it. :)

JamieP
10-09-2010, 07:13 PM
congrats :) post some pics

jrstyles
11-09-2010, 02:10 AM
2 things i dont like about the car

1. the drone from the exhaust is a killer, my girlfriend and i will be deaf in next week
2. ive accidentally tapped the headlight washer button about 12 times in 4 hours and water sprays everywhere. not good when the roof is down :(

other than that i've had the car since 7pm and im still in it on the laptop ahah. lovin' it

jbird
11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
2 things i dont like about the car

1. the drone from the exhaust is a killer, my girlfriend and i will be deaf in next week
2. ive accidentally tapped the headlight washer button about 12 times in 4 hours and water sprays everywhere. not good when the roof is down :(

other than that i've had the car since 7pm and im still in it on the laptop ahah. lovin' it

Go to an exhaust shop and have them put in a resonator, it should cost about $120 or so