PDA

View Full Version : EK engine conversion query, rear strut instal q, shift boot q

bambi
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
alright i got an EK finally... wOO!
anyway its a 99, i wanted a facelift model, and i scored a 5 sp gli hatch
i want to convert to b16a or b18c later on down the track.

as far as i know you have to put in an engine newer than your car in order to register your car with it. does this mean i cant get a b16a from a crx like is easily bought from any importer but i have to specifically get it from the 99 or 2000 EK VTIR?

this rule is bulls**t lol

also does the shift boot from a dc2 Type R fit into an EK quick and easy? i work for honda and i noticed theyre cheap as for a genuine new part =D

and finally for those of you who have installed rear strut braces, do you get the trim off and cut it to fit the brace? does anyone have a photo of an install like this? ive seen the trim removed or people saying "cbf" but ive never actually seen it done.

Cheers guys!!

PS ranking points would be appreciated if you think this is a decent question and relevant to the interests of others

pablos8
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
You generally have to cut around the strut towers to fit it on if you don't want to remove the trims altogether to fit the strut bar..
Im sure you can fit the dc2r shift boot on with a bit of DIY modifying but the EK9 one will be a direct fit, better off getting one of them :)

eeKayFouR
04-09-2010, 06:02 PM
with the dc2r shiftboot you just replace the metal bracket thing underneath with an ek bracket. and to fit a rear strut into an ek, you have to destroy your rear plastic trims or just remove the lot :) people just usually cut a big hole on both sides where the struts are mounted.. looks like dirt imo LOL

eeKayFouR
04-09-2010, 06:03 PM
and EK4 vtir never came in facelift! so you might have to source your motor from a 99+ dc2r

na-118
04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
b16a into ek 1996 obviously won't be legal because it's a older model motor to the shell
the question is how about b20? i think it's a 99 model motor, is that acceptable?

pablos8
05-09-2010, 01:00 AM
the age of the motor should be fine, but the upgrade to 2.0L might be an issue I think, not sure though?

bambi
05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
the ek vtir came out in 99 as the coupe and that had the b16a according to what ive read? could be wrong of course though. or did it only have the b16a in the coupe in the pre facelift and after that was it a vti coupe with the D series?

i'm gonna take the trim out of my car next weekend and do a diy on the strut brace install, it looks like theres actually a marking to cut out, i had a basic look today =D

the b20 from the crv you mean? they have more torque but theyre not great for power from what ive seen. by the looks of it i might be better of getting a motor from 99 integra VTIR or type R then?
thats probably gonna be the best option then so long as i can find one.
for the b seires conversion do i need to replace the subframe or will the b series mounts replace the d series mounts on the subframe already in the car?

eeKayFouR
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
yesssss you can use the b16a2 out of an em1 (civic coupe) as its 99-00 model, but yeh you're better off getting a b18c/2/7 from a dc2/r :D

and just buy b series mounts for whatever chassis, oem or aftermarket. you can use EM1 or EK4 mounts in your EK to fit a b series, or you could buy aftermarket like hasports.

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 09:46 PM
From what iev seen, the only b16a in the years 99 - 00 is the em1, ek4 went from 96-98, which might be easier to source

loarm
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
the ek vtir came out in 99 as the coupe and that had the b16a according to what ive read? could be wrong of course though. or did it only have the b16a in the coupe in the pre facelift and after that was it a vti coupe with the D series?

i'm gonna take the trim out of my car next weekend and do a diy on the strut brace install, it looks like theres actually a marking to cut out, i had a basic look today =D

the b20 from the crv you mean? they have more torque but theyre not great for power from what ive seen. by the looks of it i might be better of getting a motor from 99 integra VTIR or type R then?
thats probably gonna be the best option then so long as i can find one.
for the b seires conversion do i need to replace the subframe or will the b series mounts replace the d series mounts on the subframe already in the car?

Yeah mate, there little grids at the back of the trim, so you should be able to cut a perfect rectangle. Shall take a pic of the trim for you when I have a chance.

bambi
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
yeah i found that marking, its got like a round edge and two long straight lines between them yeah? should be a pretty easy job with a dremmel. the issue i had was getting the trim out, i just had a look in the workshop manual and its easy to get the trim out once you know where the clips are =D

looks like ill just have to hunt for a 99 or later B series once i have the money and just get the mounts. should i not do a cat back now then? i was thinking get a 2 inch done soon but if i end up with a b18 thatll kill the top end if its too small a diameter wont it?

short term ill just spend my money on a good suspension set up and some aesthetic stuff by the looks of things