PDA

View Full Version : Engine rattle/squeling noise

davidm27
02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
My engine has been making a ratling/squeling noise lately when it idles and also while driving. The only time it goes away is when i put the clutch in. i only have to put the clutch in a little for the noise to disappear. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

waix
03-09-2010, 12:56 AM
hmmm sounds like you got a little mouse in there mate lol..i kind of have the same problem aswell

~Sp33~
03-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Input shaft bearing.

davidm27
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Have been doing a bit of reading and seems like it could be the input shaft bearing. Seems lake a pretty labour intensive job taking apart the gearbox and all. Has anyone experienced this or know roughly how much this would cost?

~Sp33~
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Ring a few mechanics and ask for a quote. Every mechanic will be different, try going with one you or someone you know has had experience with.

Good luck, it wont be cheap.

amant02
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I got my one replaced while swapping my gearbox the actual part is really cheap, but pulling out a gearbox cost something like 300$ odd dollars depands on ur mechanic, thats just the cost of pulling out ur gearbox. then actual labour invovled in replacing the bearings and it will cost 300 to put ur gearbox back in. i would say just save up around a 1grand and get a rebuild on your gearbox much better option to take and replace the clutch at the same time ;D. Abit pricey but its the price to pay for owning cars that are ~10years old.