PDA

View Full Version : s2k gearbox rebuild

s2kjn
03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

Just want to know, my mechanic is in the process of changing my clutch, and is saying that the gearbox is noisy. Does anyone know if it would need a rebuild? because that is wat he is suggesting, although he did mention that the box could be noisy normally, and that he knows lots of ppl that have bought new cars and have the same noise.

Atm, its crunching between gears, so he's gonna top up the oil, and change the bearing while putting in the new clutch.

I thought that s2k's gearbox's are pretty much bulletproof. But if someone knows different, or has had a rebuild on their box, please let me know!

vyets
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM
if its crunching between gears could be your syncros are damaged
S2ks gearboxes are not bulletproof nowhere near that actually. If it is I would recommend a full rebuild, you could go the cheap way out and JUST replace the worn/broken parts but since its out rebuild it make it stronger, not to mention when they put it back together they could accident damage another part thats already starting to wear and they don't notice it.

By the way.. wtf is up with all the diff/shaft/gearbox threads lately everyone's breaking their shit.

s2kjn
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Thats exactly wat I was wondering lol! Every1 seems to b having the same problems at the same time.

alvin_R
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
if its crunching between gears could be your syncros are damaged
S2ks gearboxes are not bulletproof nowhere near that actually. If it is I would recommend a full rebuild, you could go the cheap way out and JUST replace the worn/broken parts but since its out rebuild it make it stronger, not to mention when they put it back together they could accident damage another part thats already starting to wear and they don't notice it.

By the way.. wtf is up with all the diff/shaft/gearbox threads lately everyone's breaking their shit.

hi vyet, wonder do u know any place they do good job of rebuild the s2k gear box?? if so, do u u know how much roughly?? cheers =)

vyets
03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
No idea, and no place can give you prices as well, they will have to pull it apart before they can give you a quote and it cost 500 - 1k to pull the gearbox apart :P

Marst4r
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
my gears were crunchy too... and after reading some posts on s2ki... i replaced my oil with redline mt90... i had highly doubted that it would make any difference.. but swear to god my gearbox is shifting just perfectly now. unless you think your gearbox is truly damaged, i highly recommend changing oil to redline mt90!

vyets
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
my gears were crunchy too... and after reading some posts on s2ki... i replaced my oil with redline mt90... i had highly doubted that it would make any difference.. but swear to god my gearbox is shifting just perfectly now. unless you think your gearbox is truly damaged, i highly recommend changing oil to redline mt90!

Good point I totally forgot about that hahah. Change box oil first if it still makes sound, better start saving LOL

jbird
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Reasons why your gearbox is crunching between gears is:
1. Your oil is old and crusty. Genuine Honda MTF goes bad after like 8000kms of sedate driving.
2. Clutch master cylinder is leaking/air in your clutch system which doesnt allow you clutch to become fully disengaged. Spongey pedal is a symptom.
3. Your a spastic and cant drive.
4. Your gearbox is effed and rebuilding is one option, though its usually cheaper to get a second hand one.

s2kjn
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Well ur point 3 is out of the question... as per point 2, already replaced the CMC when i had that spongey pedal feeling. Will change the gear oil anyway once i get a new clutch. Thanks for everyone's help. Would like to know if anyone has had a rebuild done on their gearbox though.

How much would a second hand box cost anyways?

jbird
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
One of my friends bought and s2000 and sat so far back that he couldnt depress the clutch fully so it wasnt fully disengaged between gear changes.
This guy kept complaining that it was crunching etc, so I drove it and it was fine.

Change the gear oil if it hasnt been changed in the last 10 000kms.

Keep in mind the S2000 gear box is quite a masterpiece and is full of synchros and other stuff to handle 9000rpm shifts so its operation will never be as smooth as other gearboxes.

Age_S2000
10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
my gearbox rebuild cost me $2650 and as far as i know theres not one original part in it i had so many dramas with it... ill put it to ya this way it was taken out 8 times.

DONT GET IT BUILT AT A WRECKER

take it to a proper gearbox place despite how much extra they might charge

jbird
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Go on s2ki and find a second hand gearbox, they have heaps