PDA

View Full Version : Conversion choices - D16a8 (twin cam) OR D16y4 (single cam)

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi all,

I would like to know your opinions if you had a choice of -
-D16a8 Si engine (dohc)
or
-D16y4 EK1 engine? (sohc non vtec)

Which one will you choose? And please give me a reasonable reason why you would choose that specific engine..

Dont flame me by saying "save up for a b16" etc etc.. coz i need this done asap and i dont have the money to convert it to a b series..

Car is for EG GL - twin carb

Cheers,

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
D16a8 for the win, with the twin cam you can go the extra distance over the sohc any day, its more a better base to modify over the sohc, but parts are more harder to come by compared to to d16y4
If im not mistaken, isnt the D16a8 an old motor compared to D16y4, there fore u cant swap it, or is this only for melb ppl?

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 02:24 PM
D16a8 for the win, with the twin cam you can go the extra distance over the sohc any day, its more a better base to modify over the sohc, but parts are more harder to come by compared to to d16y4
If im not mistaken, isnt the D16a8 an old motor compared to D16y4, there fore u cant swap it, or is this only for melb ppl?

hmm thanks for your input, em the d16a motor comes in EG 92 - 95 si.. My EG is 91, late 91 so im sure im able to register it with the car.. :)

Should i be aware of anything in regards to the D16a?

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
nice, shouldn't be to much of a hassle registering it

problems? Not really, its just like any other engine,, nothing really special lol, a good service and she'll be good to go, If the engine was out of a half cut, give a really good clean and engine/coolant flush, change timing belt, an everything else to ensure a clean, well running engine

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
nice, shouldn't be to much of a hassle registering it

problems? Not really, its just like any other engine,, nothing really special lol, a good service and she'll be good to go, If the engine was out of a half cut, give a really good clean and engine/coolant flush, change timing belt, an everything else to ensure a clean, well running engine

hmm.. i see.. so its strong engine? Is it reasonably quick? Comparing to a d16y1 (for example) ?

And by any chance, do you know any tips to check if engine is healthy or not? Because both of these engine comes from my mates and i would like to inspect the internals if they're good or not?

dougie_504
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
D16A8 is better because it's twin cam.

I drive a D16Y1 Civic sedan as my daily driver and have driven some D16A8's also. The D16A8 responds to modifications more than a SOHC and it produces a better torque curve.
To be honest I like my D16Y1 but only out of sentimentality ('because it's mine'). It's a pretty shit motor for performance. Lags like a set of hairy balls down low in revs, has to hit like 4000rpm before you feel like you're going anyway, so naturally I end up rev'ing my engine all the time so I can feel something and my fuel consumption suffers.
Would take a D16A8 over it any day.

Do a compression/leak down test. Best way to tell if it's healthy.

How is your EG a 1991? EG's weren't produced in that year?

Also...speed is relative to what you're used to and what you're comparing it to. My old '86 Corolla carby was slow compared to my Civic, but my Civic is slow compared to my CRX.

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 03:08 PM

I drive a D16Y1 Civic sedan as my daily driver and have driven some D16A8's also. The D16A8 responds to modifications more than a SOHC and it produces a better torque curve.
To be honest I like my D16Y1 but only out of sentimentality ('because it's mine'). It's a pretty shit motor for performance. Lags like a set of hairy balls down low in revs, has to hit like 4000rpm before you feel like you're going anyway, so naturally I end up rev'ing my engine all the time so I can feel something and my fuel consumption suffers.

Also...speed is relative to what you're used to and what you're comparing it to. My old '86 Corolla carby was slow compared to my Civic, but my Civic is slow compared to my CRX.

hmm thanks for the info.. looks like im leaning more towards the si motor :s..

I've driven a vti , but auto lol.. so i cant really tell which one is quicker?
hmm

its built on OCT 91 but registered on 92 i think.. but its an eg lol

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 03:18 PM

hahahaha so true, D16y are nothing more than a cheap engine built for going to the shops, iev never driven a D16a8 civic, but id imagine it would be totally different engine to the sohc

In terms of strength, it comes down to what are your plans? Turbo conversion or just bolt on mods? Most d-series have there power limited to around 130kw-160kw, depending on tune, condition of engine, etc etc...

As Dougie said, Leak down test and comp test is the only real way to go about health of engine

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
hahahaha so true, D16y are nothing more than a cheap engine built for going to the shops, iev never driven a D16a8 civic, but id imagine it would be totally different engine to the sohc

In terms of strength, it comes down to what are your plans? Turbo conversion or just bolt on mods? Most d-series have there power limited to around 130kw-160kw, depending on tune, condition of engine, etc etc...

As Dougie said, Leak down test and comp test is the only real way to go about health of engine

haha nah just daily car.. LOL not gonna plan on modding the engine.. just enough for me to get around.. and i'll do the b series conversion next year lol

Leak down test? Comp test? How am i able to do that?? engine is out already :S

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Im not to sure myselfl, but if i was in that position, id best leave that to a mechanic, or a mate who works in the mech field, mates rate lol

dougie_504
05-09-2010, 03:47 PM
You can still do a compression test with the engine out. Ask a local mechanic if you can drive it over to them in a trailer for a test.

If you're going to do a B-series conversion I'd still recommend going D16A8 now. It's cheaper than a D16Y1.

What prices are your friends offering?

I expect a D16A8 would be $500 in good condition. D16Y1 closer to $1g.

Neither are worth it if you're going to do a B-swap lol. What's wrong with your carb engine? If it runs why swap to an EFI D when you're going B next year?

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
You can still do a compression test with the engine out. Ask a local mechanic if you can drive it over to them in a trailer for a test.

If you're going to do a B-series conversion I'd still recommend going D16A8 now. It's cheaper than a D16Y1.

What prices are your friends offering?

I expect a D16A8 would be $500 in good condition. D16Y1 closer to $1g.

Neither are worth it if you're going to do a B-swap lol. What's wrong with your carb engine? If it runs why swap to an EFI D when you're going B next year?

all the conversion adds up less than $900.. lol..

2 of my mates are selling d16y4 - came from an EK GLi i assume?
and the other one is selling d16a8 - from an si?

mugen_ctr
05-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Im guessing his trying to setup the efi system, so later on he can just drop in the B-series and not have to deal with efi conversion later down the track

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Im guessing his trying to setup the efi system, so later on he can just drop in the B-series and not have to deal with efi conversion later down the track

correct. (if ur talking about me)

But its also a good upgrade in the mean time as well.. Especially when im really in a tight budget...

na-118
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
probably best go for d16a8 a little better, are you going to be putting your current gearbox on, if it doesnt come with driveshafts?
do a compression and leak down test if possible,
manually operate the gearbox to see if you get gears,
check oil colour, visual inspection etc,
you getting wiring loom etc?

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
probably best go for d16a8 a little better, are you going to be putting your current gearbox on, if it doesnt come with driveshafts?
do a compression and leak down test if possible,
manually operate the gearbox to see if you get gears,
check oil colour, visual inspection etc,
you getting wiring loom etc?

i see.. thanks for your inpute mate..
Yeah i am.. i've asked a few members here if the driveshaft, shift linkages, gearbox and mounts will line up and answer is yes..
i just need to do the efi conversion and change wirings and ecu?

hmm thanks for the info again :)

na-118
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
pretty sure you will need to change the tank along with the fuel pump. sender, also the fuel pump wiring going into the driver side fuse box

dougie_504
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Are you doing the conversion? Or a friend?

JABLAY
05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Mostly friend.. But I'm also helping him out..

Na118- yeah cheers mate.. Thanks for reminding me hehe