PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rims

greek_rambos2k
06-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Im going to buy a set of 17" rims (unless you guys think i should get 18"). I have an s2000 ap1 (99 model - stock). i was wondering how wide wheels/tires i can get without rolling guards. im a noob at this so help would be nice. i was thinking 17x7 front and 17x8 at the back? i will eventually put on coilovers. will that effect the size? i have done research on s2ki but im still very confused. help plz

vyets
06-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey mate, there's a thread just before yours asking about wheel help.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?138720-Bought-New-Wheels-Need-some-Q-s-answered

Don't know what some of the terms mean? Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NWh&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=wheel+offset+guide&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Coil-overs are part of your suspension so it won't change your wheel size maybe your thinking of spacers?

And I don't know which thread your reading on s2ki but this is pretty much all you need. There's no real better way to explain it.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=342793

greek_rambos2k
06-09-2010, 11:36 AM
cool thanks. nah i know what coilovers are only thing was i read they will lower the car slightly when i put them on and i didnt know if that will effect rim size

brendan1990
06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
my guards havent been rolled by they rub slightly on the rear when going over large bumps, and my tyres are 245's

vyets
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
tyre size without rim size and offset is pretty usless :P

When you lower your car you will get natural camber also depending on type of coilovers you get, they wont compress as much as stock suspension making it slightly easier to clear an aggressive stance.

greek_rambos2k
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
the link to the guide you gave me was good however it says:

For reference, the OEM MY00-03 (AP1) wheel sizes and offsets are as follows:

Front:
16" x 6.5", +55 offset, 205 tire
Rear:
16" x 7.5", +65 offset, 225 tire

my car is a 99 model. its OEM fitment is

Front:
16" x 6", +55 offset, 205 tire
Rear:
16" x 7", +65 offset, 225 tire

will that effect me at all? from the site i think im going to go:

front
+48 to +52 offset: 215 tires, 7.0" - 8.0" wide wheel (ill get 7")

back
+40 to +44 offset: 235 tires, 7.5" - 8.5" wide wheel (ill get 8 or 8.5 if it fits)

sorry im anoying :P

vyets
07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
fronts will be fine, rear go with 50's and higher.

That's if you want to run a full size tyre, if you want to run thinner tyres thats fine.

Also you don't have to look at the AP1 rims, just look at ap2 the chassis is the same, the wheel clearance is the same but they run 17's stock.

jbird
07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Spend more time looking at pictures of S2000s.

In the galleries theres heaps "official XXX wheel thread". Usually the volk wheel threads are good. People will have pictures of their s2000 with XXX wheel and they usually will have what tyres they are running and any mods to guards if needed. Theres a ton of wheel threads on there with answers to your question.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=540559

Like Vyets said, the AP2 runs 17s stock so if you want to go 17s that is a good guide to what fits and how it will sit at that offset.

greek_rambos2k
07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
are there any advantages/disadvantages between 17" and 18" rims? the link u sent of the volk rims looked good and were all 18". If i get 18" will the clearance be effected when i change the coilovers? I basicaly want the largest size i can with large tires without rolling the guards and will not be effected when i change the swaybars and coilovers.

euromandeluxe
07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
17s will be lighter, 18s will appear to fill the gaurds better and will probably clear bigger brakes depending on the spoke design.

greek_rambos2k
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
i see. thanks heaps guys this is really helping me. i might just go for the 17" and get sizes the same as the Ap2 but lighter rims. then when i get some more money go for some more expensive rims and get 18" and by that stage the engine mods will start.

vyets
07-09-2010, 01:38 PM
changing your swabars or getting coilovers will NOT effect your rim size.

Just get 18's why bother with 17's if your gonna upgrade anyway man waste of money/time.

ludecrs
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Sell you my 17" Advan RG's :p
They can go back to Melbourne after 2yrs up here. lol

But I agree, 18's fill the guards better.

I've had 16 - 19's, 18's fit best IMO.

greek_rambos2k
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
hmmm righto. thanks

jbird
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
are there any advantages/disadvantages between 17" and 18" rims? the link u sent of the volk rims looked good and were all 18". If i get 18" will the clearance be effected when i change the coilovers? I basicaly want the largest size i can with large tires without rolling the guards and will not be effected when i change the swaybars and coilovers.

Did you even go past the first page?...they aren't all 18s there are plenty of 17s in that thread...

If you change coilovers the car will be lower but suspension moves in an arc so if the offset is correct the wheels tuck into the guards rather than munch them. If you have the "wrong" offset it will munch the guards hence why people lip/roll/pull their guards to help clear.

Why would you just get any random set of 17s now and then save and try to get 18s? That sounds retarded no offence. Just save your money and buy the set you want after doing proper research instead of clicking on our links and reading two posts. If you want 18s then go for it, it comes down to personal preference.

Youll need to run lower profile tyres thats the only difference and the car will sit a bit higher because rolling diameter would have been changed so if you are on stock suspension you will be quite four wheel drive like.

I feel like im going crazy reading this thread.

greek_rambos2k
07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
sorry i tried looking at multiple pages but im at uni and the net is maxed out. took 8 mins to load the first page. so from what i can gather 18"s is best to get as ill save money in the future only thing is it will be a bit high atm until i change the suspension. haha sorry im a retard im only learning about cars now and i dont know much.

jbird
07-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I prefer 17s over 18s, because I don't like the prices of 18" size tyres and I believe that Honda moved from 16s to 17s because it was considered 'best'.

Then again it largely comes down to preference. Any difference in performance is irrelevant.

If you don't have much money I believe its more important that you spend your money on maintenance of the car before spending every last dime buying a set of wheels. In the mean time keep looking at sets that you like and taking note of what size, offset and what mods were required to fit them.

The S2000 is oil intensive and needs regular changes to function properly, further the diff and gearbox don't take much oil at all considering the level of performance they have to cope with. The owners manual says it should be changed every 20000 or 12 months, which is way too long. I change mine every 7000 or 6 months because I can feel the OEM oil deteriorates quickly.

greek_rambos2k
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Sell you my 17" Advan RG's :p
They can go back to Melbourne after 2yrs up here. lol

But I agree, 18's fill the guards better.

I've had 16 - 19's, 18's fit best IMO.

what you asking for em?