PDA

View Full Version : Little Question About Blowing your motor.

amant02
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Yo,

I have been wondering for a long time now about, if you were to blow a motor is it instant reaction? aka like the engine would seize straight away? Or will the car be able to dive another 100km?

Thanks if anyone could answer that. Cheers.

flipfire
06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
depends on whats about to break? but most likely seize up.

amant02
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
depends on whats about to break? but most likely seize up.

Cracked crankshaft. Is this something that happens over time?

PS there was like no engine oil in the car.

nickk
06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
depends, most common thing to let go in my experience is a big end bearing, they usually spin themselves around or get a bit of a gash in them, that's when you hear the knocking sound from the bottom end, usually you can still drive the car for a little while but you risk more damage to the motor.
bent/snapped rods, cracked pistons etc. usually end in a bang, did for me anyway lol..

* Edit * if the car has a cracked crank don't even bother driving it lol

flipfire
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Cracked crankshaft. Is this something that happens over time?

PS there was like no engine oil in the car.

once the crank snaps, power cant go to the wheels. I dont think youll make it 100km without engine oil, i wouldnt try either. Your engine will probably overheat

DLO01
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Yo,

I have been wondering for a long time now about, if you were to blow a motor is it instant reaction? aka like the engine would seize straight away? Or will the car be able to dive another 100km?

Thanks if anyone could answer that. Cheers.

Really depends on what goes wrong. If you say "Blowing Up" then I would think something catestrophic would have gone wrong and you WOULD be stopping in the next few seconds.

It does not mean that the engine would nessasarily seize as you could bust a rod or something and the engine would still turn over causing more and more damage at the same time. I'd had a engine seize on me in a go kart and being direct drive it just locked up the rears and I skidded to a halt at the end of a straight. Have also bend some Valves due to an assembly error, where cams went out of timeing and had pistons hitting on valves, bending valves, damaging pistons and also cracking valve guides at the same time. In this case the engine still ran for about 20 sec's (noisy) and then cut out for good.

WA-EG
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
i've had 2 pistons let go on me. took a inch chunk out of one. car still ran but it basically lost all the oil and sent it into the Alfa Romeo that was driving behind me at the time....... He wasnt happy. but i drove it couple of k's to work before stopping. lost a fair bit of power too.... luckily didnt scour the bores when it let go so no need for new block.

Umm cracked crank. drive it and you'll find out what happens. probly end with projectiles coming out the side of your block.

anything to do with the head and you'll stop pretty quickly.

~Sp33~
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Cracked crankshaft

Is that a self diagnosis? I've never heard of a Honda snapping a crankshaft.

mugen_ctr
08-09-2010, 12:12 AM
i think u would b press hard to find any car snapping cranks, its the strongest part in the whole car, iev personally seen pistons and con rods let go, an took a chunk out the side of the block, pretty nasty thing poor guy had to replace the whole thing, cant even re weld it back up, if the engine is blown, just hope it nothing serious goes bang

Main things that go bang that iev seen are usually its the con rods that let go, piston rings let go, an few more