PDA

View Full Version : gsi wont shift into gear

calibre
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
the past few days it has been hard for me to shift into gear, i got lucky the past few days and got it into first and as soon as i get that it'll start working, but today it just wont shift into 1st
note the clutch has like 3-4 inches of free play and resistance is only like 3inches
when i try reverse it just grinds like mad, the fluids have been topped since i took it to the mechanic yesterday

im guessing my clutch is worn? or is it because theres air in the clutch (mechanic said there might be)

anyhow does anyone know how much approx it'll cost for a new clutch for integra gsi 95

Zilli
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
you either have air in your lines, and it needs to be bled

OR

Your clutch is severely worn

OR

you are low on fluid (but you did say it is topped up)

calibre
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
yeah shouldnt be fluid problem

is there a way to check whether its the clutch being worn or its air in the lines?

it worked today just took alot of time to set it into first...but it seems once i leave it over night it returns to the same, and each day passes its harder to get into gear

GSi_PSi
09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
reverse gear in integra is hard some times to get into need to clutch in and out before it will go in, maybe try that for the first gear aswell

slimx
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
i usualy put it in 3rd before pushing it into reverse (with my old gearbox the sycro's were gone so i ended up doing that)

If it was your clutch you would feel it. drive a friends car feel the clutch if its nothing like ures its probly gone.

Theres no way to check if its a clutch is worn or not without going through a big headache moving gbox etc

danny_2132
10-09-2010, 08:31 AM
bleed ur clutch and see how it goes :D

zropts
10-09-2010, 10:56 AM
your clutch is worn... possibly clutch is broken meaning severly worn... only way to see is take out gearbox. You will see the damage...

wynode
10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure why people are saying a worn clutch (disk) will cause problems getting it into gear / 'crunching'. A worn clutch disk will basically result in problems putting power down to the wheels (ie slipping).

It sounds like you're having problems with the clutch disengaging properly. A suggested, try bleeding your lines first. Also check your master and slave cylinders.

If those are OK, then you might have to get the box out and take a look.

geeang
10-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Sounds like it could be dead gearbox bearings as well.

calibre
10-09-2010, 04:13 PM
yeah i think ill go take it to the mechanics and get them to bleed the clutch and if that doesnt work looks like ima have to get a new clutch
im leaning towards its a worn clutch because wit the fluid topped up, i still only have like 3 inches of resistance/clutch
but the other thing is in the morning it takes a while for me to get it into gear, gotta keep playing around wit the clutch and putting it into 1st, but after it gets into first, it then runs fine, gear change is ok, but if i leave it say for a few hours it'll repeat itself and wont go into gear
i have a feeling that maybe i hav a leak somewhere and the clutch fluid isnt getting into the gearbox thats why it takes like ~5mins every morning to get the car into gear

any suggestions?

danny_2132
11-09-2010, 03:08 AM
yeah i think ill go take it to the mechanics and get them to bleed the clutch and if that doesnt work looks like ima have to get a new clutch
im leaning towards its a worn clutch because wit the fluid topped up, i still only have like 3 inches of resistance/clutch
but the other thing is in the morning it takes a while for me to get it into gear, gotta keep playing around wit the clutch and putting it into 1st, but after it gets into first, it then runs fine, gear change is ok, but if i leave it say for a few hours it'll repeat itself and wont go into gear
i have a feeling that maybe i hav a leak somewhere and the clutch fluid isnt getting into the gearbox thats why it takes like ~5mins every morning to get the car into gear

any suggestions?

maybe it's your gearbox? try slamming the shifter to the right a few times in neutral a few times and then try putting it in first gear, if your clutch feels fine when ur pressing it and it drives fine... i dont see how it could be ****ed.

wynode
14-09-2010, 12:02 PM

any suggestions?

clutch fluid shouldn't be going into the gearbox. It should only circulate between your MC and SC. Bleed the fluid and also check your shift linkages to make sure they're not bent / damaged.