PDA

View Full Version : Radiator is Drinking too much, But car does Not Leak.... ???

CRX119
10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Yo Peeps Need Some help got a B16a2 and my radiator keeps taking coolant but it doesnt leak at all, my reserve tank is empty after every drive and i specifically fill it up before every drive, i was told that its either my radiator is blocked and pissing the water out as im driving or i've got a Blown head gasket??? what are your takes on this?? and How much would a head gasket set me back??

ekcoupe
10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
lol have the same problem, http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?138934-Radiator-Problem

The 'block drain plugs' could be corroded or something wrong with them

TODA AU
12-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Pressure test the system
Test for combustion gasses in cooling system
Check siphon on overflow for internal leaks
Check overflow bottle for leaks
Check radiator cap

Head gasket replacement cost (done properly) - ball park figures
Labour 8hrs (cost depending on workshop)
+ head service (cost depending on machine shop)
+ VRS kit (OEM is best - Use DC2R as it has nice rocker cover seals, but there are cheaper alterntives)
When head is at machine shop, have it crack tested also if the problem cannot be found.
We've had obsure problems in the past where the water loss was through a small crack in the exhaust port that only opened at operating temp & also leaks through the bores, where the coolant comes through a tiny crack low in the bore...
This should also be inspected while the head is off.
(Hope it's nothing like that)
There's also cost of coolant, oil change, oil filter & spark plugs
(some of these are optional but best if replaced)
Cheers

CRX119
13-09-2010, 11:08 AM
UPDATE****** Yesterday went for a bash to gosford thru the old pacific highway and gave my car a bit of hell and this time instead of the overflow being empty and the radiator needing water it, my overflow was full and the radiator was spitting the coolant back into the overflow.... and it over heated.....???

AE092
13-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Blown Head Gasket (BHG)

DLO01
13-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Head Gasket blown, combustion chamber > water jacket. Its pushing air in to your water system, hence overflow bottle is full and dumping water too.

TODA AU
13-09-2010, 12:31 PM
As above...
Check the cooling system with the magic blue liquid.
This will confirm the H/G is gone.

dOOb
14-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Do what those ^^ guys say said but you could start with checking the radiator to see if its not block and the thermo stat are working

CRX119
21-09-2010, 08:29 PM
UPDATE******** My car Had no Thermostat.... So i installed one in 2 days ago and i havnt driven it hard yet... so i'll keep you guys posted

xclusive_eg8
21-09-2010, 11:27 PM
My civic did same sort of thing for 2 days and I was totally confused..then the plastic bit decided to crack due to the bubbles in the system at operating temp. And when I eventually pulled it out I literally found a hole threw 3 fins in a row, so that's how I think air got in and threw the pressures off. So I would say just pull radiator out and have a quick check on it ;) itl take ya 5mins

fatboyz39
22-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Headgasket goneskiss