PDA

View Full Version : rocker cover breather

monda2
11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey All

Has anyone modified there rocker cover with a larger diameter breather?

I have a stock B16A1, its basically a track car, I require a 2ltr oil catch tank for competition use (having one made), the breather from the rocker cover must be directed to the catch tank, is there much point in modifying the outlet to a larger diameter (more breathing capability) ?

any help appreciated
Cheers

TODA AU
12-09-2010, 07:38 AM
For a stockie, it's proabbly not so important, but you need to meet the regs, so you might as well do it the same as you would on a high output engine.

This is what we do on maximum effort wet sump NA engines.
2 x -10 weld on's attached to the front side of the rocker cover so the internal baffle is still effective.
Inside the cover, drill off the rivets attaching the baffle plate. Remove origial brether from intake manifold side.
Drill & tap for cap screws to be used for internal baffle retention. Tap original breather hole for grub screw block off.
Blast cover, weld & re paint. Place fuel proof foam within internal baffle void, & fit baffle.
Use -10AN fitting s or similar to catch can.
Use together with breathers from back of block - remove 14mm allen screws & attach -10 weld-ons, drill, clean & refit.
Breather can also has fuel proof foam inside, vent to atmosphere.
Drain back to sump in bottom via block breather (aka Endyne system)

monda2
13-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks mate, that sounds like a very thorough modification, will investigate once I have the rocker cover off, cheers

monda2
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Todaau, out of interest what size breather/s do you replace the existing one with? Or do you have 2?
I was going to leave the existing and add another one in same side and size?
Cheers

TODA AU
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
2 x -10 weld on's attached to the front side of the rocker cover so the internal baffle is still effective.
Inside the cover, drill off the rivets attaching the baffle plate. Remove origial brether from intake manifold side.

Use -10AN fitting s or similar to catch can.
Use together with breathers from back of block - remove 14mm allen screws & attach -10 weld-ons, drill, clean & refit.

2 breathers off the block & 2 off the rocker cover
Original is not used