PDA

View Full Version : VTEC cutting out

brendan1990
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, i think i need your help on this one cause i cant quite put my finger on it.
I was driving to my gf's house about an hour ago, and thought i would give the s2 a bit of a squirt because i hadent since i went to the great ocean road about a month ago.
Anyway i was vtecing away going up uP UP the rev's to about 8k when it pretty much just cut off as though i was redlining it, so i was just thinking hmm thats weird so i reved it up slowly to the same point and it went past to 8.5 k no worries so i asumed i must of red lined it before without even noticing so i carried on and it happened 2 more times and i gurantee i wasnt red lining the car. one more thing when i pulled up at my destination i just sat in the car for a couple of minuts with the engine still running and it was making a ticking noise for about 10 seconds, the ticking noise slowing got quiter and stopped.
So basically does anyone know what either of these things are thats happened tonight?
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

catacaustic
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
How do you "rev slowly" to 8K??? I know it's possible, but really...

How long does it take a S2k to go from 8k to 9K and hit a rev limiter? From my experience... not long. What do you expect at 8K + revs?

the ticking that you heard when sitting idoling was most likely the engine trying to "cool down" and recover from what youve done to it. The engines in the S's are great, but you can only push them so much before they say "nah, that's enough". I know that these engines can take a fair bit of abuse, after all that what they are deisnged for. But come on... If you thrash the car, and, as you said "uP UP the revs" what makes you think that it will take that forever?

If you think that there is really a problem, take it to a Honda dealer and get them to plug it into their comptuer systems. That will tell them if there's any problems.

brendan1990
11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
what do u mean how do you rev slowly? you apply a little bit of throttle so it slowly builds up, so you can slow down the proces of going from 8k to 9k.
And the engine doesnt need to cool down thats what the radiator is for, yeah sure if coolant starts to go above 100 degrees then something may be faltering and the radiator might need to be flushed, but i dont have any of those problems, but thats besides the point. And i honestly believe i have never pushed my s2 hard enough for it to say 'nah, that's enough' i have seen s2000s, and watched videos of s2000's been pushed much harder round track's than i have done to mine, besides i havent been anywhere to do so, its yet to go on a track.
on another note i dont believe i thrash it, i havent driven it hard for about a month all its been used for is getting to and from work. =/

zhong
11-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Check your oil levels. It might be obvious, but I have to mention you have atleast 2.5 bars of coolant temp (0.5 bar is probably a 2 minute wait as soon as the second bar is lit :D), maybe you were cut off, usually @ 7000rpm when the engine is too cold.

brendan1990
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
nah oil level's are fine i have changed all fluids except trans within the last 2 months and i constantly check oil, i never rev my engine more than 6k unless i have 3 bar's so i don think that can be it, any other ideas ? im stumped atm the only thing i can possibly think of is lack of fuel i had about 1/5 of a tank at the time...

Engin09
12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
firstly, i don't think you can really thrash this car lol, made for it. anywayz, im guessing if its the vtec its could be linked to the to the cams, maybe the pins that lock into place aren't receiving the open signal properly, so it could be a computer related problem or the actual cams. Get Honda to hook it up and find out if the valves are opening up properly

brendan1990
13-09-2010, 05:37 PM
any chance my spark plugs could be clogged up, of spark plug packs damaged?

Engin09
14-09-2010, 02:33 AM
no clue man, not to sure ay >< soz i tried my best :D goodluck!

jrstyles
14-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Does it still tick?

brendan1990
14-09-2010, 06:09 PM
for about 30 seconds when im sitting in my driveway.

brendan1990
14-09-2010, 06:11 PM
gonna pull the plugs out and take a look in about 5 minuts

VeYzZii
14-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Whats the problem...? We have v-gassm.. You have multiple v-gassms..

jrstyles
14-09-2010, 06:47 PM
it could be your oil pressure, have any lights come on recently?

brendan1990
14-09-2010, 06:49 PM
ok just pulled the plugs out, and their fine but i ordered new plugs, oil and trans fluid from bursons today, the car is a bit low on oil but i doubt that would be the problems though =/ if its not the oil then the only thing i can think of is some sort of electronic fault so ill have to book it in at honda

brendan1990
14-09-2010, 06:56 PM
nah no lights at all, and temp has been running fine

NVD52K
16-09-2010, 05:45 PM
maybe you have to get your tappets adjusted, if not there is a loud ticking noise which are pretty loud from the injectors

brendan1990
16-09-2010, 06:50 PM
ok changed engine oil, oil filter, trans fluid, and....spark plugs today after work, and omg! the car has never run better or smoother, best money i have ever spent! feel free to close the thread =)

tiksie
16-09-2010, 07:18 PM
So I'm guessing it was the oil level.

euromandeluxe
16-09-2010, 08:12 PM
maybe you have to get your tappets adjusted, if not there is a loud ticking noise which are pretty loud from the injectors

timing chain tensioner makes a shitload of noise as well

brendan1990
16-09-2010, 10:01 PM
So I'm guessing it was the oil level.

honestly i think it was the plugs, even though i checked them previously.
i dont think oil level would effect vtec like the problem i had.

JamieP
17-09-2010, 09:59 AM
What spark plugs did u end up buying? I'm looking to buy some soon as well. My car didn't come with a service book. The guy I got it off said they were changed with platinum plugs 20 k before I got it. But he could have been talking shit so I guess it's better safe than sorry

brendan1990
17-09-2010, 05:51 PM
ngk platinum plugs, you can get platinum iridium as well but i hurd iridium stands for idiot if you buy them cause there not as good as the normal platinum.

zhong
17-09-2010, 06:01 PM
^^^ But Honda reccommends them, and they apparently last for agesss.. + They are OEM. I just ordered a set. And Oil levels do play quite a part with VTEC. Glad to see you have solved the problem.

brendan1990
17-09-2010, 06:09 PM
^^^ But Honda reccommends them, and they apparently last for agesss.. + They are OEM. I just ordered a set. And Oil levels do play quite a part with VTEC. Glad to see you have solved the problem.

lol ok then i got pretty crappy sources then, howmuch where the iridiums each?

zhong
17-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I think they're like $37/plug here... I got them from US ebay, for like $60 del for 4.