PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

zhong
16-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi everyone,

I'll start off with my bits that actually make a difference in the driving:

- Wheel alignment (car pulled slightly)
- INJEN Intake kit (vtak anyone? :D)
- Buddy Club N+ Coilovers (who doesn't want to dump their S)
- Titanium Knob (Spoon Style, my oem one didn't line up straight and it got to me lol)
- Replaced both axles in the rear with brand new ones (pitted CV caused vibration on accelleration)
- Replaced all diff mounts (two were cracked almost right through)
- Replaced clutch master cylinder with brand new one (old was leaking)
- Replaced front tyres to correct sizes (previous was running same tyres as rear on oem wheels)
- Regreased shifter rod, smoothed out the fork pin ball (it had a nipple)
- Mobil 1 10w30 Motor Oil (smooth as silk)
- Redline MT90 Transmission Oil (light as a feather)
- Alarm (stock fob locks/unlocks the car without flashing/sound and that got to me lol)

The gf drove my car when I first got it, and drove it after I have replaced some parts for aftermarket. She said it's harder to drive now than it was when it was the first time. I just wanted to check that the following is sort of "normal" for the AP1:

- Steering: Is the steering of this car some what stiff? The first thing I've noticed when I got the car was the steering was alot stiffer than I would have imagined. I mean rolling on 16's with pretty fat tyres, it's stiff as f*k.. I don't mind it, but just want to know if it's normal. It's probably 3 times harder than a Camry.
- Gearbox: Does your shifter vibrate alot? I noticed it more because I've got a light weight gear knob now.
- Alternator/Aircon Compressor: My car sounds electric, sounds like a bearing/belt is worn somewhere..
- Vibration: I get slight vibration still at 60km/h in gears 3/4/5/6 until it hits 70km/h it goes away.. All my other mounts look like they're in good nick (including motor mounts).

I'm thinking to myself, the car is immac now but the gf's comments sort of made me want to know wtf is the deal. Is your car semi-rough? I mean comparing the S to a TT, TT is chocolate milk and the S is a block of fruit and nut chocolate.

Your input would be appreciated!

Peace.

JamieP
16-09-2010, 11:36 AM
My car vibrates alot more after installing buddy club coils but thats just because its a much stiffer ride. I notice my roof brackets some what vibrate because of it which can be a bit annoying =/

aozora
16-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Don't be a girl Zhong :p

- Steering should be stiff... and responsive to the road BUT depending on how much you lower, may jerk over certain bumps if you don't have bumpsteer spacers for the steering rack.
- My shifter doesn't vibrate. Or if it does... it's not anywhere near as bad as the stupid Nissan Silvia driveline design.
- Mine just hisses... when it worked -_-;
- There's a bit of slight vibration backing off throttle but otherwise, nothing abnormal.

BaSsMaXiMuS
16-09-2010, 08:01 PM
The car is raw from factory. Let's just put it this way. There is mininal noise deadening, the shifter will vibrate to a lesser extend because of your sussy setup and perhaps even uneven roads. Your gf thinks it's harder to drive because it's louder, firmer and in no way comparable to a Camry. Perhaps what you gf meant was thats it is now harder to9 live with.

Perhaps your timing chain is worn and needs replacing?

euromandeluxe
16-09-2010, 08:02 PM
- I wouldn't consider my steering stiff - it's a bit stiffer than on my old euro, but not by much. I love the steering response though.
- my shifter vibrates a lot. I did a lot of reading and it's supposed to be normal.
- I have a similar sort of noise. not sure what it is. how many k's on your car?
- no vibrations for me

JamieP
16-09-2010, 08:22 PM
What exactly are bump steer spacer? And how much will they set you back?

BaSsMaXiMuS
16-09-2010, 08:33 PM
This should give you a good summary about everything bump steer. Have a read.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/38615-bumpsteer-faq/

Approx $250 and up for front and rear bump steer kits.

Brands include;

T1R
SPOON
Go Fast Lab
TC Design - just to name a few.

zhong
16-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I ain't being a girl or anything but It's just that I want to know how it is in stock form. I know that it wasn't released to be a luxury car and would be a bit rough etc, but it was rather slightly dissappointing to me at first. I'm happy with the way it is at the moment, after I've fixed everything.. Just a couple of minor issues needs attention and it'll be mint eventually..

My gf noticed the "change" in drive, she's driven it from the day I bought it and jus so happen needed to drive it today. She said it was better back then.. So I thought I'd ask the question once and for all about my steering etc. She drives a Z so she's not just rolling the normal corollas/camrys.

I was actually looking to purchase some anti-bump steer kits as well, but thought I'd go hard top instead as my roof makes me depressed. But yeh gonna install some things and see how it goes:

- Spoon engine damper kit
- New Motor mounts
- New clutch kit (I rkn half the shuddering etc is because of a worn throw-out bearing)

Otherwise everything else should be mint.. Who wants to let me take their S for a spin? I know, I haven't really driven another S (AP1 anyway) before..

Peace.

zhong
16-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh, my car has (~95,XXXkms).. Might need to do full service soon I guess, but it's not my engine that is annoying me, it's more of the drive train/diff.. ALso have an intterminient problem with driving in start/stop traffic.. Sometimes my car stutters when taking off on 1 or when i'm rolling and engadge in 1.. when I shift to 2, it'll just bog for a bit and HOP then go normal again after it.. It sucks when it happens in the city (especially if i'm turning right....).

BaSsMaXiMuS
16-09-2010, 10:21 PM
If ur in Syd you can take my one for as spin.

With Start/Stop

Check Spark Plugs and fuel pump, might even have something with throttle.

I had experienced what you dexcribe. I actually had to disengage and nev it up and then throw it back into 2nd or 3rd. As it felt like the car was not getting enough fuel into the engine. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The car would lurch and splutter from 1st to 2nd. Very annoying!

zhong
17-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Ahh.. Yeah, I'm in Melbourne. I'll upgrade my fuel pump I guess, they go for peanuts nowadays. And I'll probably need to change the sparkies, I usually do it first thing along with the oil changes etc but the damn sparkies are never in stock and are a freakin bomb to buy. I'll change those and see how that improves my driveability with start/stop traffic.

Now I've also noticed that I get clicking on low speed, sounds like the brake pads are moving or something.. I did go over a pretty big pot hole and heard a big bang, unsure if it was my tool box or if it was anything else though.. When will this rear end stay nice and quiet for me... It's not loud or that noticeable, but me being me, I notice it and it's driving me nuts! I've re-greased the axle nuts and have torqued them to spec (220ft-lb) but still appear apparent.. Maybe it's time to open up the diff or replace the wheel bearings. Any one experience anything of the likes?

Thanks for all the replies so far, anymore suggestions would be good, I'm sure the S should drive a bit "better" than how it is now.. But then again, some of the roads I drive on are ridicilously full of holes n s*it... lol Freeway it's so dreamy..

BTW, Anyone know the part number for the walboro pump that is reccommended for FI for S2000? I want it to fit like a glove and fuel gauge to read correctly as per oem. If you got one, sell it to me. LOL

zhong
22-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Just to update, I've fixed the clicking sound.... It's disturbing, lost 1 diff mount bolt and one was half way out..... Metal to metal clap, now gone. Pics on request. lol

Had a better test drive... Day and Night difference...

No more vibration, No more shifter shake, No more metal clapping/clicking. Just silky smooth driving! Woo Hoo! :D

How it was:
http://wheel-junction.com.au/upload/was.jpg

How it should be:
http://wheel-junction.com.au/upload/should.jpg

P.S. Gf stays quiet now. LOL

jbird
23-09-2010, 08:35 PM
WHATTA LOL! holy crap.

Good work in finding the problem. I think its a good time for everyone to get safety checks on their 2ks aye.

I know that stain has his drive shaft spacer bolts fall out before

zhong
23-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Haha, I knew that big rock when I was on the freeway didn't come from no where! But glad to have noticed it before the other bolt came out too.. then I'll be in big trouble...

aznsiko
28-09-2010, 11:34 PM
dude everything you mentioned is 100% i mean its not right but its all common on a s2000.. but other than those probs you also gotaa member the s2000 has always been on a bit on the downside with comfort and noise... eg the drivetrain is pretty noisy..

zhong
29-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks... but my car is atleast 50% less "common" than that of a S2000 now. :)

I know it "should" be noisier, rougher "just because", but I felt that it could've been better - Everything I did improved that.. The only thing I've got now is the usual interior rattles/creaks okay and maybe the cricketeer is still roaming in my intake.. But it's definately a better drive than before, drivetrain wise.