PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Kits, Rca Cables, Need Advice/help

jay-bee'z
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
hey all,

I got a decision to make, i hope someone can help in regards to wiring kits, and rca cables. ok 4channel amp, running a sub off a bridged channel, and the other 2 channels for the front speakers right.

The guy at the shop recommended me a $50 'AERPRO' wiring kit....or a Lightning Audio 4 Gauage wiring kit for like $75, from $100rrp. which looks nice, but he reakons I will need 2 rca cables for $5 he quoted me brand is 'California Gold'...and they look cheap...

So wen't to autobarn + jb hifi etc, checkin out what else is out on the market, only to find some expensive alternatives....most rca leads are like $35 upwards, and $69 for a pack to suit my needs as per the saleman says...which has like 2 or 3 sets of plugs....but from [$5 - $69] is a massive price difference....and this is on top too of the wiring kit itself!, is it worth paying the extra money or what?

someone fill me in, cause I aint getting it?!? :confused:

help plz. thanks

lerroy
06-01-2005, 09:10 PM
My personal opinion spend more money on wiring theres no point having $500 amp $500 head unit expensive speakers and spending $5 on RCA cables

Im using 3x Streetwires Zero noise RCA cables there like $49 i think
Using 4 Guage Streetwires Wiring kit about 160 bucks

and yeah 16 guage speaker wire

spend like 10% of total system on wiring you dont want to be replacing dodgey RCA cables its a pain in the butt

anyway good luck bro

jay-bee'z
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
so $75 bucks for a lightning audio 4guage amp wiring kit
http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/products/product.asp?prodID=388
or
http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/products/product.asp?prodID=577
they all look the same to me,

+ $69 for some stinger RCA cables....
http://img109.exs.cx/img109/5349/hyper7ex.jpg
does that sound good? (bloody hell i agree with what you say, but i didnt know decent RCA's cost that much....my rear speakers only gonna cost $85, ....damn)

so why need RCA's like where do they wire from....front speakers to amp....rear speakers to amp? or what kinda configuration? i have no idea. but he tells me thats what i need, 2 sets of RCA's.

$150 for wiring, damn, why dont they have the damn RCAs in the wiring kits... and the install is only gonna cost me like $115. these cables are pricey!.

Thanks for help man.

.anybody else got anything to add.?

S92
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
i spent $30 on wiring kit and it served me 'ok' but i wouldn't get it again! had to replace the plastic fuse bit...cheap plastic breaks apart when i change the fuse!!!... and changed the ground wiring because it was too short...

vtc
06-01-2005, 10:48 PM
I use Phoneix Gold Rca wires and well i dont know if they were worth it or not but they havent given me any probs and the sound is what i want. Depends how picky you are with your music.

EK9
07-01-2005, 01:40 AM
sorry, my audio knowledge is crap, but the RCA's should be for hooking up your headunit to your amp, just like any other home audio system. then wire your amp to your speakers via speaker cables... eg 16 gauge speaker wire like lerroy said.

lerroy
07-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Ok well if you have only spent like 85 bucks on rear speakers and like 200 on front or something

then aim lower for RCA etc....so $1000 system should spend $100 -150 on all cabling Power RCA Speaker

Yes EK9 is right

RCA give Audio signal from Head unit to Amp
In you case Front speaker and Sub woofer you need two RCA's for the two channel your running

What type of amp etc and stuff you running ????

but dont go to cheap like $ 5 just sound bad maybe even $20 if there are any check jaycar etc...

75 dollar power cables look good then just get cheaper RCA $69 maybe not in your case

Good luck

vti-2
07-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Like anything, you get what you pay for. My advice is buy something good even though it will cost more. Because at the end of the day, you won't blow fuses as often, won't have cables melt (yes, it's happened with cheap ass cabling), you will have better shielding and will also have better quality sound.

I used Stinger RCA cables in my last system and Audison speaker cabling. I also used another brand of cabling (some exotic Euro speaker cable) but i can't remember what brand it was. Phoenix Gold make awesome cables as well.

jay-bee'z
07-01-2005, 06:16 PM
nice!, yeah i rang the shop were im gettin installed, and they said they got some others so yeah, im gonna buy something decent for sure (i was under the impression all they had was these cheapie california gold ones), but yeah ill let you know what i get, prob gonna get Lightning Audio wiring kit + rca's if they got em, or whateva else costs more than 35+upwards. should be good, fingers crossed. wanna do it right the first time ya know, just for piece of mind, wouldnt be able to rest easy knowing if i had california gold 2x$5 in my car....thnx for replies. ill keep ya posted

lerroy
08-01-2005, 05:54 AM
ok good luck

Fhrx
08-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Like many of the other guys have mentioned already, buying chreap cables is like building a nitro funny car and running it on quarter inch rubber fuel lines...

If you pour thousands of dollars into your system, the cable should be of high quality too as they are an integral part of the system. Remember also that they get transferred to your next car too. Buy them once, buy the correct ones. :)

jay-bee'z
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
well, I ended up gettin some today....'Streetwires' Twisted RCA cables...they were like 40 bucks a packet..but they look really decent! and im happy i went with the quality stuff. Thanks for the help as always.

http://www.streetwires.com/products/interconnects/zeroNoise3.cfm

looks good I say.

Javed
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
I bought all my power wire etc from jaycar as I needed rather than buying a wiring kit. I bought stinger rca's hyper series i think, cant remember. Got aerpro 12 gauge for my speaker wire, now thats some thick assed speaker wire :P!