PDA

View Full Version : how to park on incline

gambate
06-01-2005, 11:17 PM
1. pull hand brake, gear in release clutch (more load on brake )

or

2. gear in, release clutch, then hand brake ( more load on gear train)

which 1 better?:confused:

i usually use option 1, but sometime after hard driving i dont like the idea of brake clamping the rotor while it is cooling down....:rolleyes:

kenshin
06-01-2005, 11:26 PM
deep...
i've always done option 2... force of habbit...

Bubu
06-01-2005, 11:34 PM
i would usually use option 2, seems more of a natural progression for from:

1 - put in gear (of course clutch is engaged and foot still on brakes...)
2 - pull on hand brake (" " " ")
3 - turn off car (clutch disengage and slowly take foot off brakes to see whether it needs to any more hand brakes)

i don't think there is much load on the gearbox as the brakes should be taking more of the load... i think the only time the gearbox will take the load is if you didn't apply enough hand brake therefore the car would want to roll down but wouldn't because it is locked in gear...

viperx
07-01-2005, 12:14 AM
i dont see how this can possibly put more strain on the drivetrain compared with brisk driving. and if youre not driving briskly enuff why does it matter whether you clamp the brake discs (with the handbrake for that matter, which doesnt apply anywhere as much pressure as the footbrake??)

Kandy
07-01-2005, 12:24 AM
I park like Bubu explained all the time, dead flat surface (except I don't usually test if the handbrake holds o.O), slight raise, heavy incline what ever...
Isn't that what you're meant to do?

dark138
07-01-2005, 12:50 AM
my driving instructor told me
hand brake
in gear
car off
clutch in

works in a triangle

bennjamin
07-01-2005, 05:29 PM
the way i park on any incline , is come to a stop ( foot still on brake) , then pull up handbrake , engage first gear / reverse gear ( oppostite to the incline ofcourse ) and ease off clutch and done :)

If you are excessivley paranoid about the car rolling - turn the front wheels towards the gutter , or put a couple of chunks of wood etc infront of the rear wheels :thumbsup:

Boost
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeh i do it like bennhamin.. except i dont carry chunks of wood/timber along with me..

SiR JDM
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I think this is an interesting topic as I was fortunate enough to have learnt geared incline parking whilst picking up my manual licence, but i know ALOT of friends who refuse to beleive me to leave it in gear when they park on a hill... they beleive if they leave it in 1st/reverse the car will roll... even after i try to explain.. so yea i think its a good discussion! = ]

kenshin
10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
tell them if they leave it in N it'll definately roll james :)

thats why u put it in 1st or R gear opposite of the slope so the car will stall if the handbrake should fail

SiR JDM
10-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I tell them Toan but they dont beleive me... *sigh*.. oh well.. thats why I say this is a good discussion because there maybe some people like my friends who think alike and would learn alot from this =]

Benji
10-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I learnt my lesson in my old car when i came out and it had rolled about 5 meters down the street and on an angle, I was extremely lucky nothing was parked behind it and I'd received a deposit (2 hours before) on it too, sold it the next day, phew.

Javed
10-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I was actually with my driving instructor when i was preparing for my test ages ago and he tells me to pull over on this hugeassed mofo of a downwards incline. Then he tells me to turn off the car, put it in gear and dont apply the handbrake and take my foot from the brake. I was all like "WTF, we are gonna die", but then the car just lurched down slowly bit by bit as the cog turned i guess. That must have rooted the gearbox a bit :P Also I find my handbrake weak, i dunno maybe something needs fixing (tried tightening the cable it was already tightened like a mofo). So i always leave it in gear opposite to the incline.

aimre
11-01-2005, 09:53 PM
i think that "bit by bit" felling was ur engine turning over "top deac center" (TDC)