PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my EM1, NEED ADVICE!!!!

SiR Vtec
21-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Sup guys
Im just curious im in the process of lowering my em1 and my charade and i was wondering if i lower them on king springs about 35-40mm can i use the stock shocks for both of em or would i need to change em?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheapdouchebag
21-09-2010, 12:15 AM
you can - not a problem they will fit easy peasy.
the only thing is most people will tell you whether you can or not in terms of balance if u catch my drift
the thing with the shocks that most people see is a problem is that it wont last as long as you may hope
you may hope that the shocks will last forever and remain the same height the whole time you have ur kings on but eventually you will sag, id give it maybe 8months as the shocks have been around for almost 10 years and have probably lost a bit of its edge.

the most ideal method would probably upgrading your shocks to suit ur king springs, or even coilovers if your into handaling and achieve a height drop as well
its just personal preference
saying you can or cannot is just like saying you cant go over 18" rims on a civic because ull get a bumby ride n what not ugly etc. etc.
but u can roll on 18" rims if it simply fits

my advice would be if ur keen on the kings
just get em n whack em on
and later on upgrade shocks or even to coilovers.

hope that helps mate. all the best
happy motoring!

fabezzz
21-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I just lowered my EM1 on king super lows using my stock shocks since i was only after looks not so much a performance increase has like 1 finger gap at the front and can only just fit 2 fingers at the back sitting on the 15" stock alloys. Only problem is it started making a creaking noise sometimes while driving but thats probably because they aren't in properly?? not sure but ill probably have to take them out and put them back in to see if that fixes it.

SiR Vtec
21-09-2010, 01:12 PM
thnx for your all help.

Appreciate it.

Symphorced
21-09-2010, 11:11 PM
As stated before, you're best bet is to upgrade your shocks along with your springs if you're going to drop it by that much as eventually it will cause your shocks to give in. The problem with this is obviously is the cost of it all. A lot of people just want to go for looks but don't want to spend too much which id why you hear a lot of people chop their springs or use king springs with stock shocks. A decent shock + spring combo or a set of coilovers will set you back $1,300+.

My advice, save up a bit more and buy a set of coilovers. I've heard only good things about the BC Racing coilovers and they are pretty cheap, otherwise go for Eibach springs with Koni adjustable shocks.

mugen_ctr
22-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I just lowered my EM1 on king super lows using my stock shocks since i was only after looks not so much a performance increase has like 1 finger gap at the front and can only just fit 2 fingers at the back sitting on the 15" stock alloys. Only problem is it started making a creaking noise sometimes while driving but thats probably because they aren't in properly?? not sure but ill probably have to take them out and put them back in to see if that fixes it.

that creaking noise is maybe cause ur shockers are dying, lol super lows kill stockie shockers pretty quick, but to OP, depending on what king springs it is really, super lows will kill ur stock shockers, than again, normal kings low, dont do justice, as 2 finger gap is still pretty high, as i have them in my car, as everyone said, go buy either springs matched with shockers or coilovers... dont compromise ur handling an saftey :)

muzukashi
22-09-2010, 12:35 AM
fabezzzz - as said by mugen_ctr your shocks probably on the way out could be leaking, it happened to me it sounded like i was on a boat even when i had both stock springs and shocks, most kingsprings or generally any lowering springs on oem shocks are killers they will mess that shit up haha

do it once do it right save up for shocks,springs combo/coilovers then drop them in at the same time

just saves you trouble from buying shit separately and labour costs/going into the sussy setup twice unless you can DIY then that would be a different story

fabezzz
22-09-2010, 03:49 AM
seems like its only coming from the front and i was looking at it today when i painted my calipers and it seems like one of the springs isnt seated properly going to take it out and put it back in again also my shocks look stock but i noticed a Excel G kyb sticker on the shocks so they might not be oem after all.

EK1.6LCIV
22-09-2010, 08:33 AM
do it once do it right :) coilovers are pretty affordable now

Alvis
22-09-2010, 08:54 AM
As stated before, you're best bet is to upgrade your shocks along with your springs if you're going to drop it by that much as eventually it will cause your shocks to give in. The problem with this is obviously is the cost of it all. A lot of people just want to go for looks but don't want to spend too much which id why you hear a lot of people chop their springs or use king springs with stock shocks. A decent shock + spring combo or a set of coilovers will set you back $1,300+.

My advice, save up a bit more and buy a set of coilovers. I've heard only good things about the BC Racing coilovers and they are pretty cheap, otherwise go for Eibach springs with Koni adjustable shocks.

Can I ask why you would go with an Eibach/Koni set up?

I've heard the Tein Super Streets are good for a daily driver (no track work) and was considering these for my EK1 - any advice you can us about your suggested combo?

EK1.6LCIV
22-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Tien SS are great track suspension, have done many people locally well over the years :)

Tai
22-09-2010, 09:58 AM

I've heard the Tein Super Streets are good for a daily driver (no track work) and was considering these for my EK4 - any advice you can us about your suggested combo?

When did you get an EK4?

henrygiang
22-09-2010, 10:07 AM

I've heard the Tein Super Streets are good for a daily driver (no track work) and was considering these for my EK4 - any advice you can us about your suggested combo?

whole thread dedicated to coilovers vs spring/shock setup.....personally i would go quality spring/shock over entry coilover setup

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?105791-Adjustable-coilovers-kits-vs-just-springs-shocks&highlight=eibach+bilstein
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?66368-Koni-s-or-coilovers&highlight=eibach+bilstein

muzukashi
22-09-2010, 12:04 PM
whole thread dedicated to coilovers vs spring/shock setup.....personally i would go quality spring/shock over entry coilover setup

agreed, i've had about 2-3 coilover setups on my dc5 before coming back to mugen spring/shock kit

it wasn't worth the drop in height and ability to adjust it for those moment u shit bricks u see a huge pothole on the road when having coils on :o

Alvis
22-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Great links - thanks for those :)

So, if you go with for example the Koni setup (with Eibach springs) you can still adjust the height and damper settings because they are adjustable. Is that right?

Symphorced
22-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Great links - thanks for those :)

So, if you go with for example the Koni setup (with Eibach springs) you can still adjust the height and damper settings because they are adjustable. Is that right?

Probably depends on which Koni adjustable shock absorber you get. I believe some have damper adjustment only, some have height adjustment only and some have both. As always, you get what you pay for. :p

Alvis
22-09-2010, 01:53 PM
mmm true true... I'll have to do a bit of research to find out what's out there (definitely want height adjustment)

thanks mate :)

Symphorced
22-09-2010, 02:53 PM
mmm true true... I'll have to do a bit of research to find out what's out there (definitely want height adjustment)

thanks mate :)

No problems. If you wanted to see what Kni shocks are available to you go to:

http://www.koni-na.com/index.cfm

And then enter your car model into the side and see what pops up. From there, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone in Australia who supplies them as they're such a popular brand.

amant02
22-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Tiens colivers SS way to go, every since i got em installed didnt wanan look back. And a big no no where i failed please dont use 18" rims they fk up ur car soo bad. Im regreting paying 1.5grand for 18's

PS: i own a em1