PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil B18C7

billy1234
24-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi people,

I've got a ek with b18c7 I/h/e and 4.9 fd. For some reason it burns some engine oils faster than others. The km's on the engine is around 150k mark so I'm using thicker oils just to give that little more protection. I change oil every 5000km using 100% synthetic oil (not sure if FEO in fully synthetic). The oils that lasted the longest with little to no level drop are mobile1 5/50, nulon 15/50 and FEO Honda. The worst are penrite 10/40 and castrol 25/50 huge level drop both having oil light come on at around 3000km after oil change.

There are no leaks what so ever coming from the engine. I've been told my rings could be gone but there is no smoke coming from my exhaust

Please note I travel every working day from gold coast to Brisbane and back averaging around the 800km mark per week. Because of the 4.9 FD I do sit on about 4500rpm doin about 120km, sometimes higher if I'm running late. Just want to know if the traveling distance and high rpm at constant speeds is a contributing factor of going through so much engine oil.

Any help/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Billy

migoreng
24-09-2010, 08:33 PM
No idea why different oils burn fasater but you should be checking the oil level at like every petrol fill up or two.

You went 3000km without checking at all and let the oil light come on? If your engine holds like 4 litres of oil then you probably only had a litre or so left or worse (no oil visible on dip stick)...

If you know a certain oil doesn't burn much then stay with it...Why have you been switching through 5-6 types of oils?

You might as well stay with Honda FEO oil (mineral).

billy1234
24-09-2010, 08:55 PM
No idea why different oils burn fasater but you should be checking the oil level at like every petrol fill up or two.

You went 3000km without checking at all and let the oil light come on? If your engine holds like 4 litres of oil then you probably only had a litre or so left or worse (no oil visible on dip stick)...

If you know a certain oil doesn't burn much then stay with it...Why have you been switching through 5-6 types of oils?

You might as well stay with Honda FEO oil (mineral).

Just wanted to try different oils out. See what was out there bang for your buck. Surprisingly I found nulon to be the best overall for price and performance for my engine.

Since those 2 incidences of the oil light coming on I have been checking them constantly.

Just to clarify the oil light did come on but did not stay on. I did an oil change and about 2 to 2.5ltrs came out which is still low, but not to the point where there was only a litre left

Lukey
24-09-2010, 09:12 PM
see what the specs for oil useage is for that engine.

vinnY
25-09-2010, 08:01 PM
i'm pretty sure the oil lamp indicates oil pressure, not oil level? but the two can be related

grifty
26-09-2010, 01:21 AM
i'm pretty sure the oil lamp indicates oil pressure, not oil level? but the two can be related

this is correct, i think only the really expensive cars like mercs etc have lights for oil level.

AE092
26-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Generally speaking, if an engine consumes oil then it would be valve stem seals or piston rings on the way out. When you give it some stick, there should be some blueish black smoke but since you say there is none and no visible oil leaks then I can't really say for certain.

jks24
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
isnt it normal for these engines to use some oil but deffinately no where near as much oil as what this b18c is using?

lsvtec
02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
i hate 4.9fd, very annoying on high ways

bennjamin
02-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Change your pcv ( located on the inlet
Manifold)
It is not normal to use that much oil , unless you spend alot of your time at hard revs or full throttle. Just as an example , my old Eg with b18c7 used about 1litre for every 5000ks. 10-30w Honda oem fluid.
Oil light means pressure - low oil equalslow oil pressure too - AVOID this situation while anytime driving aa this equals instant engine death while spirited driving !

AXS
04-10-2010, 07:33 PM
try running a catch can to see if the oil is actually being spit out or if its getting burnt out....

jrstyles
04-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Like you said, having i/h/e and a 4.9FD contributes to engine oil burning faster but seriously I find it hard to believe that much oil can be burnt up in so little time!!
Dont flame me for stating the obvious things but,
-checked your driveway or wherever you park your car for excessive oil stains
-smell burning oil when you drive?

Like AXS said, chuck in a catchcan and see what the hell is happening!

lsvtec
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
my b18c with 4.9 fd is having the same problem, i got no leaks, no smoke and engine runs fine but it eats oil like there is no tommorow.

lsvtec
05-10-2010, 12:28 AM
benn as u said about the pcv, what does this do?

billy1234
27-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Like you said, having i/h/e and a 4.9FD contributes to engine oil burning faster but seriously I find it hard to believe that much oil can be burnt up in so little time!!
Dont flame me for stating the obvious things but,
-checked your driveway or wherever you park your car for excessive oil stains
-smell burning oil when you drive?

Like AXS said, chuck in a catchcan and see what the hell is happening!

LOL, i wont flame you for stating the obvious. No burning smell and if i have excessive oil marks in my garage (which there are none) i should be the on getting flamed.
Catch Can and new PCV valve are on the way, after i install ill see how it goes from there. If these dont help i think it would more than likely be the valve seals and not the rings because there is no smoke at all under hard acceleration and deceleration.

lsvtec - hows your motor doin now? has the problem been fixed?

Mikecivic78
28-10-2010, 08:05 AM
benn as u said about the pcv, what does this do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve this will tell you everything about what it does

Limbo
31-10-2010, 02:07 PM
sounds like blow-by, your getting too much crank pressure and it going past the rings.
On high revving motors its a problem, i had this prob previously cos of boost

I had ths problem previously.
1) Clean the PCV valve - there is one in the DIY
2) Clean the ICAV - helps the car idle nicely and is usually blocked if your PVC is blocked
3) Try to change the hose on the PCV as it sometimes gets clogged.
4) optional add attitional breather valves (like inthe pic below - i'm selling that one as its a spare PM me if you interested) You can run these to a catch can or even the intake depending on what you want

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac103/limbie/th_DSC000142_resize.jpg?t=1288430864 (http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/ac103/limbie/?action=view&current=DSC000142_resize.jpg)