PDA

View Full Version : ek hatch, 2 bolts in the boot, hold's up the fuel tank?

vinnY
26-09-2010, 11:29 AM
those two boots on the floor of the hatch near the opening, not inside the spare tyre wheel well
they appear to be 17-19mm heads

do these bolts hold up the fuel tank? and if I undid them would the fuel tank just drop?
just need to take them out to bolt up my new boot floor

flipfire
26-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I dont think so but just check underneath, the fuel tank is held by 2 straps.

PGB
26-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Dont know Honda's real well yet so I highly doubt this will be constructive. I do would however imagine that the tank bolts would be underneath and be nothing larger than 14mm.

Could be evidence of a tow bar fitted at some stage in its life mabye?
Better yet a cage :D:D

HTH

vinnY
26-09-2010, 10:35 PM
nah, can't actually reach down there to check but i'm pretty sure it's something to do with the tank straps

didn't end up using them in the end, all good :D

PGB
26-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Just another thought, Could be the bolts for the rear bar reo.

Seems odd to me they would be for the tank thats all.

vinnY
26-09-2010, 10:53 PM
guess that might be the case too
oh well i'll find out some day, maybe :p

jdm_b16a
29-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Just another thought, Could be the bolts for the rear bar reo.

Seems odd to me they would be for the tank thats all.

Correct. Same as on the EG. There are four bolts (17mm) on the EG that hold the reo bar in place. Two on each side. Should be the same on the EK Vin.

Take the bolts out and the reo bar slides out.

Fuel tank is held in by straps, that have a T insert up front that goes into a locking slot. The rear is adjusted by a small nut on a long thread bolt, on each side. As you undo the nut the tank will drop down (although sometimes the tank will stick to the underneath due to the sealer used on the top of the tank.)

If you are removing the tank Vin make sure it is reasonably empty as it can be quite heavy with fuel in it.

Peter

vinnY
29-09-2010, 12:38 PM
nah just wanted to use the bolts to hold down my boot floor, with further mucking about though i've come to the conclusion that I don't need them :)