PDA

View Full Version : Del Sol Airbox and intake any other models match up

drgtr
27-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Anyone have one for sale? Does any other model match up.

VT3C
28-09-2010, 04:56 PM
you CAN use any EG civic airbox.. when i bought my Del Sol it had an EG GLi airbox installed which was fine except the intake tube diameter was much smaller than the Original Del Sol's tubing and the inlet/outlet on the airbox was quite small in diameter. EG6/EG9/EG2 Del Sol all use the same larger inlet and tubing airboxes.

the smaller tubing actually gave great throttle response and low down torque.. but in higher RPMS it was like trying to suck a thickshake through a juice-box straw.

drgtr
28-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the Info.

Can you please also explain what eg6 /eg9/eg2 differences are?

eg2 is the del sol?

Are all eg parts almost interchangeable like suspension etc.?

90LAN
28-09-2010, 08:23 PM
you can aslo fit a dc2r airbox and intake with some minor mods

drgtr
29-09-2010, 08:47 AM
What are those minor mods?

VT3C
29-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the Info.

Can you please also explain what eg6 /eg9/eg2 differences are?

eg2 is the del sol?

EG6 = Civic SiR-II (JDM) hatch with 170PS "B16A"
EG9 = Civic SiR (JDM) sedan with 170PS "B16A"
EG2 = CR-X Del Sol (JDM) targa/coupe with 170PS "B16A"
EG2 = CRX (AUS) targa/coupe with 160PS "B16A2/3"

the CRX is the only EG generation Honda to have the B16A in Australia..
the next B16A to come here was the EK4 Civic VTiR however it was still only 160PS compared to the 170PS JDM varients.

ALL JDM Motors dont have a number designation after the engine code. so a gen1 B16A out of an 88-91 Civic SiR/CRX SiR/Integra XSi will have the same "B16A" stamp as a 96+99 EK4 Civic SiR (for example). To confuse you even more, a Japanese integra Type R has an engine code of "B18C" but so does their Integra SiR-G (JDM equivalent to our Integra VTiR).

Are all eg parts almost interchangeable like suspension etc.?

essentially YES.

The CRX Del-Sol and DC2 Integra chassis is based on the EG chassis.
basically there's a bolt hole on an EG for everything off a DC2.. basically the fenders, bumper/hood support and the hood are different.
if you really wanted to(and people HAVE), you could put an integra front end onto an EG.. and an EG front end onto a Del Sol etc.

there are some slight differences in the floorplan and dashboard mounting points etc but mechanically they are all interchangable like LEGO :)

to fit DC2R or EG6/EG9 suspension, you need the front forks (that have a larger shock diameter than D-series civics) and the Rear LCA's from the TypeR or EG6/EG9 as the D-series Civic's have a fork type mount on the lower part of the rear shock where the DC2-R has the eyelet style.

What are those minor mods?

u need to drill ONE HOLE in your subframe to mount the ITR airbox in the stock (integra) position in order to retain the type R intake tube and the cold-air feed from the bottom of the airbox to the inside of the bumper.

this is one of the best factory style intakes u can run.. I'll take some photos of mine tonight :)

drgtr
29-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Vt3C. Incredible write up. Really appreciated that.

Were our CRX del sol detuned to 118kw as to 125kw aswell?

VT3C
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Here's my ITR airbox using custom DIY alloy piping.. the ITR airbox had a duct that went into the original resonator. I removed the resonator and modified the duct slightly and now it picks up air from behind the bumper but in front of the wheelarch - would be PERFECT if there was a fake brake duct / fog-light hole like the EG civic bumper but tis one does the trick and keeps the induction roar nice n loud - but not as violent as an uncovered SRi/pod. it even has an OEM bell-mouth on the piping !!

the ITR airbox is in the factory location and uses the del sol / eg bolt holes except i had to drill one small hole into the subframe just behind the headlight on the very edge of the sheetmetal.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/VTEChnique/BG%20Del%20Sol/BG_EG2_11-1.jpg

um the AUS Del Sols and EK4 (96+ civic VTiR) had the 160PS (118Kw) B16's.. GEN2 motor but de-tuned for the global market. has lower height pistons with 0.2:01 less compression, ECU tuned for 95 RON fuel (instead of 100RON), and apparently a 2-layer head gasket rather than 3 layer (?).. not much differences really.. apart from the 7Kw HAHA.