PDA

View Full Version : Eg b18c exhaust?

lsvtec
27-09-2010, 09:26 PM
would it make a difference if i have a muffler or not?

cos i just want to have a hi flow cat, a resonator and then straight through with no muffler.

would i notice any difference in power or noise?

duzy
27-09-2010, 10:02 PM
depends on the muffler, if its a cannon style, oval, looped etc cannon style would make much of a difference

well the options are, full straight pipe or proper exhaust
no point getting a cat/resonator and no exhaust tip, just asking to get defected

lsvtec
27-09-2010, 10:03 PM
ok so might aswell just chuck on a twin loop

mugen_ctr
27-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Muffler just muffles the sound, so it doesnt effect the power but as pointed out, best to go full cat back with high flow headers an cat, straight pipe people would b able to hear u 5 blocks away, an thats more than enough time for police to setup a defect station for you lol..... if u have a resonator than why aint u running a muffler? kinda defeats purpose of resonator if ur not running a muffler

muzukashi
28-09-2010, 02:32 PM
would be a loud ****er if that setup was ran, as mugen_ctr said no point having a resonator if theres no muffler and would sound like a chainsaw lol
get yourself a decent catback maybe a fgk or mugen twinloop running through to mugen headers or so would sound way better :thumbsup:

VT3C
28-09-2010, 04:12 PM
depends on your state etc..

header+no Cat+straight pipe = mega loud.. no chance of being legal in any way and u will go deaf. NO restriction if decent piping/bends.. loss in torque below 4,000RPM.. good gain over 6,000RPM BUT MAN SO F'ing LOUD !!

Header + Cat + Resonator (or 2) and straight pipe (though not technically a straight pipe if u have resonators) = can be legal if not in VTEC in terms of Db output.. depends on pipe diameter, position of resonators etc. Looks ghetto with no tip.. but have seen some nice n clean jobs too.. having jsut pipe at the end of the system can create a more farty and raspy sound.. resonators dont restrict flow a whole lot so power still good..

Header + Cat + Muffler (no mid resonator) = about the same as above.. is borderline legal in terms of sound.. give it wide open throttle or VTEC and is prob instantly over the limit. good for power, but jsut having the muffler on it's own can make life hard in terms of sound. if u have N1-style or a cannon muffler they dont do much muffling but dont restrict flow. If you use a regular style muffler - even a 'free flow' muffler or twin loop, you WILL loose a bit of top end power but will get more low RPM and midrange back.

Header + Cat + Resonator (x1) + Muffler.. this is what most of us run.. choose the right bits and u wont have much restiction nor noise.. generally legal.

a lot of this depends on your piping diameter.. (PLEASE do a search).. basically smaller diameter (2") will give you less drone and more low down and midrange power.. the larger diameter piping will give you more drone and more top-end power at the expense of low down torque.. but throttle response will be better also.

forget CRUSH bends.. just get mandrel bends - will only cost you like $50 extra for the whole system.

if you have a B18C2 i'd reccomend getting 2.25" or even 2.5" mandrel bent piping.. if you run a header, then fit one mid resonator (hot dog) and then the axle-back muffler of your choice.

if you're just keeping the original cast iron exhaust manifold, i prob wouldnt bother too much with the piping.. save those $$$ on an eBay header or something LOL.

NOTE: stock exhaust manifold with aftermarket exhaust will be LOUDER than having a decent header and aftermarket exhaust.

lsvtec
29-09-2010, 09:42 AM
ohhhk, i already got mugen headers on the engine at the moment, probably just put on a high flow cat, resonator then no muffler at first and see how it sounds, if its to loud then go back and put on a muffler.

which muffler is the best for power?

VT3C
29-09-2010, 01:10 PM
ok if u got mugen header allready, get a 2.5" cat and resonator.. but then wat size piping ? if you go with 2.25" might be ok.. but in WOT and VTEC u will be illegal definately. u WILL need at least a muffler to be legal. having said that.. it WILL sound awsome HAHA

does your mugen header have 2.5" collector ?? I have JDM ITR 2.5" cat after my mugen 4-1 but the cat makes it a bit rattly :( race-pipe FTW. i am running Spoon B-Pipe and Spoon N1 Axle Back and i'd be right on the Legal limit i'd say.

if you run the Stock Del Sol Air-box it will help keep the noise down if you must run the straight pipe.. but NOTE: a 'straight pipe' runs off the header and has NO resonators or mufflers.. so dont be calling it a straight pipe if u got a resonator in there :P

mugen_ctr
29-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Just get a decent cat-back, an call it quits, no point in tryna run a straight pipe from resonator... muffler design wise, id go for spoon, j's racing or so, any of em is good enough, just comes down to personal taste

cops are pretty strict these days with regards to sound pollution an a easy way to make money for em, so just play it smart, an get a well designed exhaust system that stays within the sound d.b limit, i think 98 or so

lsvtec
29-09-2010, 04:05 PM
wat about x force exhaust systems?