PDA

View Full Version : GEN2 CRX - Oddball problem - ignition

mrodyssey
27-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi,
Have had my CRX for a month or so now.

Went out this morning, unlocked my car, stuck the key in the ignition - turned it over to on and waited for it to wake up, then tried to crank it over but it just clicked the door locks and refused to crank over. I spent about 15 frustrating minutes trying to get her to crank when she finally fired.

This is about the third time it's happened, is it an ECU issue? Or is there perhaps a troublesome Immobilizer?

Cheers.

markismaximus
28-09-2010, 10:23 AM
how old is the battery? could be the problem and is easily checked

julian_s13
28-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe its water vapours getting inside the engine?

markismaximus
28-09-2010, 12:14 PM

that seems unlikely. water vapour coming from where?

julian_s13
28-09-2010, 05:24 PM
From the air intake. Flame away but I have my reasons for asking.

markismaximus
28-09-2010, 07:01 PM
From the air intake. Flame away but I have my reasons for asking.

I'm not flaming you it just doesn't make any sense. water vapor comes from evaporating water, so unless he's cooking under his intake it makes no sense.

if you're talking about moisture in the air that's not something that would cause issues such as above. otherwise everyone's cars would have trouble starting (which they don't)

drgtr
28-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Next time it happens whack the starter motor. It honestly sounds like its on its way out or as mentioned. Dying battery.

anjin
28-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I am assuming it's just that the starter motor won't crank - you don't get the relays chattering.

Ignition switch is my bet if the starter motor won't turn over- they do wear out the contacts. Jiggling the key can get results. There are replacement sets that you can get. Or insert a start button.

Also could be the relay on the starter motor.

Or the immobiliser if one is fitted - I've bypassed them often enough when they decide to fail.

Bludger
29-09-2010, 10:28 AM
no, no way.

ECU has nothing to do with either.

don't whack your starter.

Do you have a keyless entry or alarm?