PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

jyh888
29-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Recently at wakefield park, my oil temp has been reaching almost 130 degrees after 3-4 hot laps on a relatively warm day (25degree) and i feel that the car is over heating too quick before i can even push any harder. This is for a FN2R by the way.

So im looking into fitting an oil cooler, I can't find any bolt on kits, so will most universal coolers kit fit? and what else is required, i.e. lines etc, will i need an oil filter relocator kit?

Does anyone know any reliable places to get a universal oil cooler kit?

Riced_Civic
30-09-2010, 07:14 PM
most universal ones are should be fine u just need to buy the correct fitting that fit into the car.

jyh888
30-09-2010, 10:08 PM
most universal ones are should be fine u just need to buy the correct fitting that fit into the car.

i have a 2007 civic type r, any idea what size fittings i need? and how many rows on the cooler core do i need? 10 row cooler adequate?

AE092
01-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Generally speaking -10AN fittings are the more common ones. How many rows is entirely up to you but with more rows, it should cool your own down slightly faster. Also note that when you fit an oil cooler and it's associated lines/fittings and possibly oil filter relocator kit, you lose abit of oil pressure so it's something to watch out for.

jyh888
01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Generally speaking -10AN fittings are the more common ones. How many rows is entirely up to you but with more rows, it should cool your own down slightly faster. Also note that when you fit an oil cooler and it's associated lines/fittings and possibly oil filter relocator kit, you lose abit of oil pressure so it's something to watch out for.

Is it safe to run stock oil pump with an oil cooler? I have an oil temp gauge but dont intend on installing an extra oil pressure gauge, anything i can notice before something goes wrong? And is 130C oil temp too high, what should be the maximum temp allowed?

AE092
01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Is it safe to run stock oil pump with an oil cooler? I have an oil temp gauge but dont intend on installing an extra oil pressure gauge, anything i can notice before something goes wrong? And is 130C oil temp too high, what should be the maximum temp allowed?

My car has an oil cooler and oil pressure guage from stock (non-Honda) and what I've noticed is that, as the oil gets warmer I tend to build more oil pressure. When track racing, the guage hasn't shown any bad signs so to say, generally if it gets below half way then I've got a leak somewhere, that or I'm chewing through oil but so far so good. 130 degress is pretty high, anywhere around 100 is acceptable I would say.

If you go without the use of an oil cooler then do what my friends (who owns Hondas) would do, do one flying hard-out lap then a cool down lap and alternate. On the cool down run just cruise the entire way and let your brakes/oil/water temp cool before you give it stick for the next flying pass.

jyh888
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
My car has an oil cooler and oil pressure guage from stock (non-Honda) and what I've noticed is that, as the oil gets warmer I tend to build more oil pressure. When track racing, the guage hasn't shown any bad signs so to say, generally if it gets below half way then I've got a leak somewhere, that or I'm chewing through oil but so far so good. 130 degress is pretty high, anywhere around 100 is acceptable I would say.

If you go without the use of an oil cooler then do what my friends (who owns Hondas) would do, do one flying hard-out lap then a cool down lap and alternate. On the cool down run just cruise the entire way and let your brakes/oil/water temp cool before you give it stick for the next flying pass.

Thanks for your advice. Is it still ok to drive daily with oil cooler or is it hard for the oil to reach optimum temperature during normal driving conditions?

AE092
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks for your advice. Is it still ok to drive daily with oil cooler or is it hard for the oil to reach optimum temperature during normal driving conditions?

For the most part its fine but when you do alot of highway k's in Winter, you'll notice that it will drop more than say in Spring or Summer. Some guys cover cooler with plastic when in use but that gets abit extreme. Your radiator would radiate some heat to the oil cooler anyway so you'll be alright.

Riced_Civic
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
also depends on how big u get, that will affect the cooling for daily use.

say a big 25 row u will def need sumthing in front to cover about half of the core to let the oil get to its optimum temp.

if u say have a small 10 row, u dont really need anything in front and should be fine during daily driving.

DLO01
04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
You can get universal kits, but really, I'd personally look at putting my own kit together. Just buy a cooler to the size you want. Depending on dimensions 10 row minimum if your tracking. Get a oil cooler sandwich plate. Then go to Pirtek or another hose company and get exactly the size hose and fittings you need. You don't necessarily need a filter relocation mount, its up to you if you want one.

For street use it would be good to get a sandwich plate with an in built thermostat or you can buy separate thermostats to use in line to bypass the cooler until it reaches a cirtain temp. In turn if you don't run a thermostat you can simply manufacture a cover to sit over the cooler to stop any airflow through it.

If you don't run a thermostat it is fine for daily use summer and winter days. I just found in the stone cold winter mornings and nights like under 10 degrees ambient, oil temps got pretty low, like under 50 degrees when hwy cruising (no engine load). So a thermostat is a good idea. If not, just run a cover on you cooler for street and take it off for track. Simple and easy.

See if you can make out the cover I made here here. Very stealth:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/Image258.jpg

r3ckless
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
WOW! i liek that oil cooler cover!

I was in the same boat, gonna get an oil cooler, I went to EARLS in Silverwater, Sydney. They gave me all the parts needed. it was for roughly 1000$;

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac138/chuck_bung/oilcooler.jpg

Spoke to my mechanic, he said better off buying a acutal bolt on oil cooler kit from Trust etc.

Riced_Civic
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
WOW 1k for an oil cooler

i got my 28 row with lines and all installed for only 800

Benson
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I've been running an generic cooler (15row) from justjap for over 3 years now on the race car. It costed only 150bucks!. If your good with shopping around you can get fittings and lines for pretty cheap. 15 row is more than enough. We are finding temps are a little too cool. Only 100 deg after 4 laps around Wakefield (supercharged engine). Usually 1/4 of the cooler is taped off.

jyh888
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, $1000 for an oil cooler?? Thats very expensive....

Im not planning to spend much on an oil cooler...any idea what size fittings i will require? If i install an oil pressure gauge, where does the sensor read from?

Will any of these kits on ebay be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OIL-COOLER-KIT-UNIVERSAL-CIVIC-INTEGRA-EG-EK-EM-CRX-DC2-/280568471370?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41532f1f4a

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-10-ROW-Universal-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Relocation-Kit-/120612541205?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c15115315

Im not looking for a large oil cooler core because the fn2r has very limited space to mount it

na-118
04-10-2010, 11:18 PM
can get stainless steel fittings and lines made up for cheaper then that alex pm me

WOW! i liek that oil cooler cover!

I was in the same boat, gonna get an oil cooler, I went to EARLS in Silverwater, Sydney. They gave me all the parts needed. it was for roughly 1000$;

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac138/chuck_bung/oilcooler.jpg

Spoke to my mechanic, he said better off buying a acutal bolt on oil cooler kit from Trust etc.