PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light fuse 94 EG Civic Hatch

Lil Dan
29-09-2010, 08:13 AM
A motorist pulled me up at the lights this morning saying my brake lights weren't working so once I got into the carpark, checked and he was right.

Which fuse do I have to change? I haven't had a good look at the fuse box yet. Would it be the 40a lights one?

My headlights and taillights are still working though. I'm wanting to get fixed ASAP as I really dont want to get rear ended...

Cheers

markismaximus
29-09-2010, 08:22 AM
could be the globes that are gone. Check the underdash fuse panel, on the inside of the lid there will be a schematic telling you which fuse to check

jdm_b16a
29-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Which fuse do I have to change? I haven't had a good look at the fuse box yet. Would it be the 40a lights one?

It's rarely the fuse. Check the globes at the rear. Don't rely on a visual check as often I have looked at both the single filament and the double filament, and whilst they looked intact, the lights weren't operational.

The brake light is the double filament one - it has the standard "lights on" combined with a "brake". Grab a globe that you know works and substitute it and check. Do both sides even though only one side may be out.

Peter

Lil Dan
29-09-2010, 10:10 AM
oh ok fair enough. The reason I thought it was a fuse was because both tail brake lights aren't working and the brake light behind my rear window isn't working either.. What are the chances of all three not working?

Bludger
29-09-2010, 10:21 AM
can happen.

especially when you get lazy car owners that don't pay much attention to maintenance.

didn't accuse you of one of these, don't jump the gun, just saying...

Lil Dan
29-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I know what you mean.. Maintenance is like clockwork to me. I always make sure my car is well maintained, but you can imagine how hard it would be to notice your brake lights are out...i couldn't even test myself if they were out without the help of my friend...and if they guy never mentioned it to me at the lights, I would have never picked up on it at all!

Bludger
29-09-2010, 10:53 AM
if you have no one to help you, you can reverse up to something reflective like shop glass front or anything. you only need a little reflection to tell.

jdm_b16a
29-09-2010, 10:57 AM
oh ok fair enough. The reason I thought it was a fuse was because both tail brake lights aren't working and the brake light behind my rear window isn't working either.. What are the chances of all three not working?

You might find that they are all linked and when one doesn't work, they all stop working (because it is a circuit). Only a thought, but yep could be a fuse. The inside of the plastic cover should have a transparent sheet with the fuses and their values on it. In some instances these fuses cover more than one function, hence the idea that it's not the fuse.

Peter