PDA

View Full Version : Amp/Sub/Wiring questions

maestro
29-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi guys, been doing some research for an amp/sub setup with a budget of around $400. I'm planning to construct a 'sub-box' out of MDF in the boot with a friend for my 2007 CL9 lux w/ sat nav. I'm not the kind to drive down the road pumping music - I'm just looking for a bit more bass to the stock system.

Just wondering if there are any particular flaws I should be aware of with this set up and what opinion you guys have of it, particularly in terms of pricing and quality. Also, is it worth purchasing entry-level audio equipment (considering that I'm not a massive enthusiast of music pumping, will I be cursed with the need to upgrade the system?), if buying new equipment is worth it in comparison to second hand stuff (perhaps better quality, less $$ but used) and if you guys have had any kind of experience with Kenwood (quality of sound, integrity of equipment, vibration etc).

Kenwood KAC-8105D Car Amplifier ~$230
* 1000 Watts of Power with 30% Smaller Chassis Size
* CEA Rated: 300W (1.0% THD+N) (4Ohm/1Ch)
* CEA Rated: 500W (1.0% THD+N) (2Ohm/1Ch)
* High Quality Speaker Level Input and Blue Illumination
* Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz at -24 dB per octave)
* Bass Boost Control 0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
* Infrasonic filter (15/25 Hz, 18 dB/octave)
* Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing turn-on
* Preamp-level inputs and outputs
* 11-1/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-7/8"D

Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" Subwoofer - Dual Voice Coil ~$130
# 12" Woofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
# Urethane Surround
# 2-Layer Voice Coil Design
# Dual Magnet Drive
# 8AWG Wire Capable Push Terminals
# Frequency Response: 35-300 Hz
# Sensitivity: 85 dB
# Mounting depth: 6-3/16"
* Peak Input Power: 1400W
* Rated Input Power: 400W
* Impedance: 4 Ohms + 4 Ohms
* Sensitivity: 85dB
* Free-Air Resonance: 28Hz
* Frequency Response: 35Hz – 300Hz

Aerpro BSX008 450W Amp Power Wiring Kit 8GA ~$20
• 8 GA Power Cable. Clear Red cover 5.5M Long O Ring Terminated
• AGU Fuse Assy with holder with 50A Fuse Not installed into holder
• Hex key for fuse holder
• 8 GA Grommet
• Ground Cable (0.8M) SOLID Black Colour (8 GA) O Ring Terminated at one end.
• 20 GA Hook up wire (Blue)
• 6 pcs Cable Ties
• 12 cable ties

oh_lol
03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
If that Kenwood amp is 2 ohm stable, then it will be fine to power the sub.
8AG wiring may be pushing it if you will be doing 500rms @ 2ohm.

I would choose different gear personally, but there's nothing wrong with that on a budget.
Have a listen to it, if it sounds good to you, go with it.

byteme
20-10-2010, 12:54 AM
kenwood amps are great bang for buck amps that do the power they say.
I would how ever go for a 4GA setup, just in case you wanted to use a bigger amp or use an amp for the front speakers (this shits addictive).

the only problem i can foresee you having would be getting a signal from the head (oem?) unit to the amlifier...

As far as the sub is concerned i think there's much better gear out there compared to the Kenwood subs
- if you can find the extra coin this one is incredible Shiva-X2 (http://www.audiomarketplace.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,182/category_id,18/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,49/vmcchk,1/)
-again, a little bit more bit miles ahead in terms of quality Digital Designs (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Designs-12-Subwoofer-/170479181722?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b159df9a)

Wascally Wabbit
20-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Agreed with byteme, use 4GA just to be sure. Also agree with maybe getting another Head Unit instead of oem.

Kenwood IMO are almost always a good quality buy for audio equipment, well worth it. However if you want a cheaper amp with more WRMS then have a look in Jaycar for the Response Precision brand of amps. I've heard people say they're nasty and cheap but from personal experience I've been running an 800WRMS of there's for years (have absolutely blasted the S*** out of it on regular occasions), bought it second hand too from a Techno-NUT and it still runs 100%.

12mod
23-10-2010, 02:51 PM
hi mate i happen to have sold car audio for the last ten years and if there was any advise i could share with not only you but anybody else in this same situation is to try and stick with your american brands for speakers subs and amps as they have the biggest market for that sort of thing and will give you a much better performance then say your jap brand gear so go with something like kicker cadence and my preferences orion or jl but if you have your heart set on the kenwood gear then its not to bad its a hell of alot better then pioneer or sony and cheaper then jvc

arverson
23-10-2010, 04:57 PM
i know we're only talkin about budget/entry-level quality here but only american brands for speakers subs and amps hey? interesting..

12mod, how would you rate these?:
dynaudio & vifa/peerless/scanspeak from denmark
morel from israel
audison from italy
genesis from england
dls from sweden
focal from france
crescendo from australia

just to name a few.

hope they'd compare well to the 'american brand performance'..

12mod
25-10-2010, 06:59 PM
dynaudio focal and audison are all awsome but a little expensive for most most newcomers in the car audio scene from what i have seen of vifa lately im not a big fan i have done a few big installs with it though it does go quite loud i wasnt a fan morel i havnt personally used but i know a few guys that rave on alot about it but again for a system on a tighter budget you have to agree dont go jap brands if you can wait that little bit more to put some more cash together you will end up saving in the long run by doing it properly the first time.

TRD_4age
25-10-2010, 07:28 PM
yeah but vifa is now made in china, It's all over the MEA website. That's why there so cheap now. But there old skool gear is top notch.

dogcrapau
21-11-2010, 09:58 AM
i know we're only talkin about budget/entry-level quality here but only american brands for speakers subs and amps hey? interesting..

12mod, how would you rate these?:
dynaudio & vifa/peerless/scanspeak from denmark
morel from israel
audison from italy
genesis from england
dls from sweden
focal from france
crescendo from australia

just to name a few.

hope they'd compare well to the 'american brand performance'..

These are just purely out of budget for alot of people,

i believe people stick to the japanese market just because of their price and reliability just like for cars.
im neutral between jap and US, but hands down those euro ones are very good proli say th ebest.

to the threader, i am not sure if its an easy job to wire an after market system into a stock head unit especially since its a Merc. Its doable mind you, just keep an eye out when you are connecting the amp , if it doesnt have RCAS u may need to get a sort of adaptor that converts speaker to rca.

heck it may even have an amp of its own? which means you may/may not just replace it..

anyways back on to topic your choice of gear is absolutly fine, you will get your bang for your buck as with all kenwood stuff.

arverson
21-11-2010, 01:12 PM
dynaudio focal and audison are all awsome but a little expensive for most most newcomers..

These are just purely out of budget for alot of people

thats the thing.. those brands have something to cater for everyone on every budget.

morel have a range of drivers. starting from the 'maximo' splits (and coaxils) that can be had for less than $200 right up to the 'supremo' drivers that retail for 2000+.

audison have their entry-line 'srx' amps to cater for people with lower budgets.

focal, like morel, also have a range to suit different budgets.

same with crescendo & dls.

vifa/peerless/scanspeak have some of the best drivers and considering the performance, you'd be suprised at how cheap you can get em for.

just saying dont rule these out because of a wrong perception that theyre 'too expensive'.

there are other brands out there besides the mainstream stuff you find in jb/strathy/autobarn/repco/etc.

civicVI
21-12-2010, 12:32 AM
any update?
wanna to do sound system upgrade for my euro as well

Simonnn
23-02-2011, 10:55 AM
any update?
wanna to do sound system upgrade for my euro as well

Me too! thinking about getting a sub (looking for something entry level as well), but its all so confusing.. more confusing than performance parts LOL :(