PDA

View Full Version : EG5 Civic just stopped! Need help ASAP

oken
01-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey all, last night i pulled round a corner in my civic and it just stopped running, the engine will still crank but will not fire, all fuses and relays are ok, it has a fuel tank of fuel and the fuel pump is working but there is no spark! Im assuming it could be either the coil or dizzy cap/rotor button? Do they have an ignition module inside the distributor?
The d16y1 has done 280,000kms and was serviced not that long ago, i was just wondering if there are common issues with the EG5's or if anyone can point me in the right direction as to why it wont start???

drgtr
01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a snap timing belt.

Open the oil cap and get someone to crank the motor. If the cam does not spin then it sounds like a snapped timing belt.
Im not sure if they are non interference engines or not. As in there will be head damage with the valves.

oken
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
timing belt was replaced only 5,000klms ago.

mrmango
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
timing belt snap = blow and wont crank.

i reckon it's the dizzy :)

bennjamin
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Replace ignition coil and or igniter unit inside the dizzy.
These are common to fail on hondas. ( after 10 or so years or extreme heat etc)

oken
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
i was thinking of remotely mounting the coil and ive heard the H22A caps are the same but with the 5th pin. Is that true?

oken
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
ive found that the h22a cap is the same so i can run an external coil :) il post up bosch part numbers etc when it all comes in.

bennjamin
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't bother

Just replace the coil. It will last another 10 or so years !

oken
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
well replaced the cap with a h22a item then used a msd blaster coil mounted on the inner gaurd. It fixed the problem and has heaps more power

xtnsevolution
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Sounds like what happened when my ignition switch died, all the contacts inside were all charred, pulled it apart gave the contacts a good clean and it worked straight away.

spambam88
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey buddy,
my EG5 has broken down on my twice !!! once was the dizzy, and that was an hour and a half away from home. The second was the Fuel pump up Mountain Hwy.

if you can hear your fuel pump prime, as u said before its neither your fuel pump, fuel relay or a blockage.
if u can hear ur fuel pump, but it still does not ignite, the most likely culprite is either your dizzy or your main relay.
there are some quick DIY things to try, but i wouldnt recommend it. If its the dizzy unplug your main lead, then get a screw driver and a rubber glove, and see if you can see a spark between the dizzy and the screwdriver tip.

but if you cant be bothered, just get an autoelectrician to check it out. if it comes to replacing the dizzy, my mechanic just told me that its easier to just replace the whole thing. Good luck

sorry if this doesn't help

oken
08-10-2010, 07:04 AM
thanx mate but im all sorted. The coil shit itself so ive run a h22a dizzy cap and then use an msd coil mounted on the inner gaurd.