PDA

View Full Version : snapped a wheel stud

blackdc2r
01-10-2010, 01:49 PM
hey guys,

I've just snapped a wheel stud on my car today when i was loosening one of the nuts. Just wondering how much would it cost to get a replacement one.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.61e1c17faf.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?61e1c17faf.jpg)

WATAJK
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Your snapped the nut or your snapped the thread on where the nut goes??...
Ugh i'd hate to think how much the second one will cost if it's brand new your after..

blackdc2r
01-10-2010, 03:25 PM
The thread where the nut goes through. Isit safe if i drive my car jst with 4studs?

muzukashi
01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
snapped 1 recently drove on 4 studs for awhile nothing happened though it looks dodgey and isn't recommended lol, if its just the thread you need to replace off my head it was $5-10 for the thread and like $50 or so labour to get it on though its not really hard you could DIY

Lukey
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
i wouldnt say its safe, but on the other hand i wouldnt say its unsafe. just drive around on 4 while you work out your solution.

i know quite a few people who only use 4.

dudeling7
01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
dc2 or dc5?

if its the back ones they are easy to replace you can do it yourself.

if its front its a PITA and you might have to do some custom work if you want to do it your self. most places will use a press and press out the wheels bearings etc and you will need new ones after that and it adds up to be a fair bit.

if you do it by yourself you need an angle grinder and shave away a bit of your hub to be able to hammer out the old stud while everything is still intact and put the new one in. both ways will work it really depends on your budget haha. if you need instructions have a look on the net there are plenty of people who have done it by them selves including myself and its not too hard if you have the tools.

Lukey
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
i dont see why youd need to take wheel bearings out to get at the wheel studs?

grifty
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
all you need to do is remove the front disc to get the studs out, now if your disc is held on by a screw then its going to be a pain in the a$$ if u dont have a impact screwdriver.

BiG Boi
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Go get it done at a proffessional mate, $50 TOPS. A mate of mine once snapped it of doing the same on a VTi-R Teg and cost him $45 at a local tyre and exhasut shop. Took the guys about 15mins. Dont try to DIY over $50... not work the headache and the risk of f**k!ng it up....

geeang
02-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Replacement stud $7 from repco - as others have said MAX $50 labour - not a hard job to do provided you have the right tools.