PDA

View Full Version : 6 feet tall in an S2K?

Steve695
02-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey all.

I am currently saving up for an S2k and it will still be around 6-12 months before I have the money to buy one.
However I'm trying to get all the details now.

I'm a little over 6 foot and am a little worried about being too big to drive it comfortably. I want one more than anything but there is no point buying a car that is going to be too small for me.

The driving position I am used to in my current car is where my knee is slightly bent when the clutch is fully engaged, and if I sit back in my seat and hold my arm out straight I have my wrist touching the steering wheel, this allows for almost perfect steering comfort when elbows are bent with hands on the wheel, in my opinion.

I was wondering if this is achievable being the height that I am. Any details that can be thrown in from other 6 foot+ S2K drivers would be great.

DLO01
02-10-2010, 08:03 AM
You mean clutch dis-engaged? Peddle down right? Best to get yourself seated in a S2K. You'll get a better feeling/indication then asking these sorta questions here. But I'm sure others can help out.

euromandeluxe
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm 6 foot 1 and I fit pretty well. what can matter is whether most of your height is in your legs or from your waist to head. best bet as mentioned above is to jump in one and see how it is. it's snug, but surprisingly comfy (until you do a really long boring drive)

Engin09
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
im 6'2 and i love it :)

Steve695
02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Are you able to heel-toe without too much difficulty?

Steve695
02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
My legs aren't insanely long but they aren't short, they are pretty 50-50 even with my torso and therefore I don't look as tall as I am. I have a friend and she is the same height as me and has really long legs and at first glance she looks way taller than me.

Steve695
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
You mean clutch dis-engaged? Peddle down right? Best to get yourself seated in a S2K. You'll get a better feeling/indication then asking these sorta questions here. But I'm sure others can help out.

Yeah I meant dis-engaged lol how silly of me.

Easier said than done to get to sit in one. I probably see one a week around here, that's if I'm lucky.

VeYzZii
02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Why are so many s2k owners so tall..?

slackzy
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
i m 6"2 and no issues at all, guess you really got to try sitting in one to see if you like it or fit in one.

Steve695
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
i m 6"2 and no issues at all, guess you really got to try sitting in one to see if you like it or fit in one.

Thanks. So no legs hitting the wheel? No Issues heal-toeing? Do your legs feel cramped?

It's hard for me to sit in one because there is none around lol.

DLO01
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Well how are you going to buy one if theres none around? You said your want details now before buying. Everyone is saying it. Get out there test drive one, see how it feels, see how you fit in it. You don't want to wait your 6-12 month and then find your knees are cramped. Won't that be a disappointment?

Steve695
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Well how are you going to buy one if theres none around? You said your want details now before buying. Everyone is saying it. Get out there test drive one, see how it feels, see how you fit in it. You don't want to wait your 6-12 month and then find your knees are cramped. Won't that be a disappointment?

Yeah I s'pose your right.

I only want to use it as a weekend/track car with my current car (or maybe something else) as a daily driver. So even if it is a little too small I will probably still buy one, as I won't be doing any more than 1,000km's a month.

VeYzZii
02-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Well... Maybe he might grow abit more in 12 months... :P

tay113
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Why are so many s2k owners so tall..?

hi , it is a great car and guess wise people think alike .As for height ,co incidentally, i am tall too.6 footer and you?

tay113
03-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey all.

I am currently saving up for an S2k and it will still be around 6-12 months before I have the money to buy one.
However I'm trying to get all the details now.

I'm a little over 6 foot and am a little worried about being too big to drive it comfortably. I want one more than anything but there is no point buying a car that is going to be too small for me.

The driving position I am used to in my current car is where my knee is slightly bent when the clutch is fully engaged, and if I sit back in my seat and hold my arm out straight I have my wrist touching the steering wheel, this allows for almost perfect steering comfort when elbows are bent with hands on the wheel, in my opinion.

I was wondering if this is achievable being the height that I am. Any details that can be thrown in from other 6 foot+ S2K drivers would be great.

HI steve, just jump into one and enjoy while we can , as long as you can still get in and out before we cannot achieved even that.smile.

Steve695
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Well... Maybe he might grow abit more in 12 months... :P

I'm 20 I don't think I will be growing much more. Been stuck at 6 foot since I was 17

ludecrs
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
6'2 or 6'3

Keep OEM seats + Backyard seat rail.
Do NOT upgrade to bucket seats. They will be the death of you / your knees.

Steve695
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
6'2 or 6'3

Keep OEM seats + Backyard seat rail.
Do NOT upgrade to bucket seats. They will be the death of you / your knees.

They're the ones that make the seat sit lower yeah?

Bucket seats, no way, completely ruins the style of them in my opinion.

ludecrs
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Backyard Seat rail lowers the seating position by approx 2cm / 1" give or take yes.

I have Mugen buckets @ 6'2 or 6'3 and whilst they are incredibly comfy when your in them, they are ****ing difficult to get in and out of comfortably at my height.
I believe they are part of the reaon why my knee cap is ****ed as at a few events now I have ****ed my knee getting in or out of the car with the seats in.
I will be changing back to the OEM seats / swapping for GIAS in the not-too-distant future.

drsilliez
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
sat in the drivers seat of my friends s2000 and my god is it small (coming from the 5th gen lude). And im not big or tall. dont know how u 6 foot ppl fit in it.
Also sittin in the brothers rx8 i feel like its a tight squeeze....im only 172-173 cm and 82kg....im not that big and im not fat lol.....

i guess im use to the large space i have in my 5th gen prelude and spreading out everywhere and leaning back lol

Steve695
04-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Backyard Seat rail lowers the seating position by approx 2cm / 1" give or take yes.

I have Mugen buckets @ 6'2 or 6'3 and whilst they are incredibly comfy when your in them, they are ****ing difficult to get in and out of comfortably at my height.
I believe they are part of the reaon why my knee cap is ****ed as at a few events now I have ****ed my knee getting in or out of the car with the seats in.
I will be changing back to the OEM seats / swapping for GIAS in the not-too-distant future.

Yeah they are certainly hard to get in and out of as they are, I can imagine how much worse it would be with bucket seats. I'm more worried about drive ability than getting in and out though, such as cramped legs and right leg hitting the wheel when heal-toeing, let alone not having enough room to do so in the first place.
Like I said in my original post, I'm used to having my knee slightly bent when the clutch pedal is all the way in. I'm willing to adapt to less room to drive such an awesome car but I don't want it to be too small.
It sounds like those lowered seat rails are going to be a must for me.

Emre_2144
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah its funny with the prelude i jumped in my mates one and the dash was so far away haha. Im 5 10 and I sit comfortably without the seat all the way back so you should be fine unless you don't have enough head room. Good luck

Steve695
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah its funny with the prelude i jumped in my mates one and the dash was so far away haha. Im 5 10 and I sit comfortably without the seat all the way back so you should be fine unless you don't have enough head room. Good luck

Thanks.

I'm not too concerned about head room. I don't plan on ever driving with the top up as I will never drive it in anything short of perfect weather.
Also I have been a passenger in one (with the top down) and seeing was no trouble.
After I posted this thread, I found that the standard leg room in my current 2000 Impreza is 42 inches, Honda S2K is meant to be 44.
I have just enough leg room in my Subaru to drive comfortably and to heal-toe comfortably, so I no longer think that leg room in the S2K will be an issue.

Engin09
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Ye youll b fine with heel/toe, im pretty shit at doing it but if i put the seat all the way back its orite.. your legs wont be cramped and it really depends how u like to sit all the questions you've asked man, jump in one and adjust the seat 100000 times and after 30 mins you'll have all your questions answered :)

Steve695
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Ye youll b fine with heel/toe, im pretty shit at doing it but if i put the seat all the way back its orite.. your legs wont be cramped and it really depends how u like to sit all the questions you've asked man, jump in one and adjust the seat 100000 times and after 30 mins you'll have all your questions answered :)

Yeah I only started doing it a month ago takes a bit of getting used to and now it doesn't feel right when I don't do it, it's like habbit/second nature now, but I still f*ck it up a lot. Getting better at it every day, it sucks that I'm losing my license for 6 months. Police don't realize how much it sets people back when they are trying to improve their driving skills.
Yeah I will do man I guess your right it's a pretty hard question to answer doesn't sound like there will be a problem though.

jbird
06-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm 6ft and I heel toe fine, don't hit the steering wheel or anything...because your knee part doesn't move heaps or whatever its just the ankle that rolls over. Especially if your foot is buried into the brake pedal.

On top of that you don't need row down the gears as thats a waste of time and just for show, rather just brake in the gear your in and then heel toe once for the gear you want. e.g from 4th, brake...skip 3rd and rev match into 2nd under braking.

sambalam
06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm 6ft and I heel toe fine, don't hit the steering wheel or anything...because your knee part doesn't move heaps or whatever its just the ankle that rolls over. Especially if your foot is buried into the brake pedal.

On top of that you don't need row down the gears as thats a waste of time and just for show, rather just brake in the gear your in and then heel toe once for the gear you want. e.g from 4th, brake...skip 3rd and rev match into 2nd under braking.

im 6 1 and have nooooo isues with heel toe either,

now i may be going crazy but i vaguely remember reading something about it being bad to skip gears, as to why and how i dont remember and im not sure if it was proven / dis-proven but im sure some1's mentioned it before

JamieP
06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
sambalam, your right about it being bad to skip shift, but thats only on up shifting. It ruins the syncos. skip shifting on your down shifts is fine though

sambalam
07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
sambalam, your right about it being bad to skip shift, but thats only on up shifting. It ruins the syncos. skip shifting on your down shifts is fine though

Ahhh well there u go, thanks for clearing that up, I'M not going mad haha

jbird
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Skip up = bad. More work/load for the synchros. Worse the more gears you skip e.g 2nd to 6th. I'll skip like 2nd to 4th if I'm going downhill or something though where the load is less.