PDA

View Full Version : Intake SOHC VTEC

JSpec89
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
i currently run a SRI, whale penis. and the crossover is a little noticable.

im running a full aftermarket exhaust but with stock muffler.

will running a CAI make the crossover more louder. will it change the way the car sounds???

also, do you guys have any suggestions on a cheap but decent CAI setup.

INJEN is 400. any other ones cheaper?ebay kits good? no good??

thanks.

Tai
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Place a massive megaphone near the intake.

JSpec89
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
straight up dude. get the **** out of the noob forum. if you got no advice or decent input then stfu. theres no need to be a ****ing gronk about it.

Tai
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Why do you need to be so angry?

You wanted your crossover to be louder and I suggest a megaphone near intake.

Whats wrong with that?

Importsneezer
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
lols.

what this megaphone intake you talking about dude??
you talking about a actual megaphone, just putting it near the intake?

.k.
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
straight up dude! dont get so worked up LOL you could waste your money on a full cai.. it may make the littlest of difference in crossover! but at the end of the day its still only a sohc! sohc's dont make epic crossovers like b series dohc's! :D

dougie_504
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I just got a SRI for $70 and bought some silicone/aluminium pipe from Super Cheap for $105 to extend it into my bumper. With some clamps it came to $185 total.

Sounds nice...if it goes harder I don't really notice it like you do with most small mods on any car, but it can't hurt.

Don't buy Injen or anything pre-fab for your SOHC.

meatball
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
how about, take off your hood
custom piping to your drivers window a pod at the end. that way you can hear the crossover louder and clearer, cos its right next to your ear :)

M@lew
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
SRI's are usually louder than CAI's.

Symphorced
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
It's just not worth spending all that money for it. Definitely not an INJEN. Sure you might hear it a bit more but still definitely not distinctly. If you want to hear crossover do a B16 or B18 swap.

V73C
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Lol at OP getting all worked up. You have a SOHC, dont go thinking your vtec it gonna be fully mad crossover everywhere you go. What you have now is efficient enough already and also a very common intake. So just leave it as is.

Want louder crossover, get a B series. But im sure not everyone gets vtec only because of the fully sick crossover noise "shifty eyes" well maybe some of the fanboys.

dougie_504
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a D16Y1 Civic and a B16A CRX.

D16Y1 crossover is hardly less prominent than the B16A crossover, but the B16A has a higher rev tone to it like it's screaming, whereas the D16Y1 is lower like it's growling or something lol.

Enjoy what you have!

Raztaz
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
it says EK sedan as your car, and vtec so i take it you have a D16Y5, Its a VTEC-E motor you are not going to have hektik crossover....

EK1 Civic
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
SRI will have a louder roar since pod aint to far. CAI would have a deeper note with added piping.

I dont even have vtec yet i love the growl i get past 5k revs and onwards to the red zone. Be happy with what you got.

Lukey
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
vtec is overrated.

TheSaint
03-10-2010, 12:41 AM
yeah the whale style intake is the loudest you can get as far as intakes go ...

i went from a Simota whale style intake to a Fujita CAI Black Edition and its HEEPS quieter

as for vtec crossover on the D series - dont get your hopes up - i just run no vtec D, dont have to worry about it + smoother power curve lol

mugen_ctr
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
if anything with sri, u will loose power lol, penis whale is the same as sri, so no difference, but hey if its sound ur after, by all means do it.... cai is the only way to go if wanting bit more power... btw, any intake system on d-series u will loose power an torque down low rpm, sri or cai

TheSaint
03-10-2010, 12:53 AM
as strange as it sounds - i think i lost a little too much power when i swapped mine over

sure - the SRI was getting too much heat soak from the radiator - and my Fujita system has cold air straight from the front bumper

but the car just doesnt have as much top end as it used to - alot better throttle response with the CAI - i got much better response from my B18c when i upgraded to Fujita kit

out of all the intakes i have tested the bes 'all rounder' is still the Simota whale style intake

MWAKU
03-10-2010, 12:57 AM
i currently run a SRI, whale penis. and the crossover is a little noticable.

im running a full aftermarket exhaust but with stock muffler.

will running a CAI make the crossover more louder. will it change the way the car sounds???

also, do you guys have any suggestions on a cheap but decent CAI setup.

INJEN is 400. any other ones cheaper?ebay kits good? no good??

thanks.

1. if ur after sound u've got the loudest intake u can get for ur car on a budget
2. whats the point of running a full aftermarket exhaust with a stock muffler? :S just restricts at the end again
3. i dont know whats the difference between cai brand, its just a long pipe with a pod that enables more air flow, and you'd probably not feel a thing cause ur cars slow to begin with and is fairly stock with a restricted exhaust

i personally never felt any difference when putting a SRI or CAI in lol

its all in your mind ;) you put the intake in "oh i think i can slighty feel bigger in high rpm"

TheSaint
03-10-2010, 01:06 AM
its all in your mind ;) you put the intake in "oh i think i can slighty feel bigger in high rpm"

nah its just ur bodies G-force meter is broken mwaku - go ask God for a new one lol

i noticed a huge difference between stock intake + apexi pod > Fujita CAI system on my Dc2

but only a slight difference on my EG8

but i can definatly feel the cars response and power come in from different RPM ranges with different intake setups

also always make sure you reset the ECU and idle for 10min after u change one over...

cheapdouchebag
03-10-2010, 01:43 AM
im with ya there saint.
i had a HKS super power flow sponge filter for my automatic d15b for the the fun of it as i got it for free
it did sound alot better, way better than the stock sound, the crossover pull wasnt noticeable but the crossover noise became a load noticable (i have a very acute hearing)

but lets put it way op, at best your sohc vtec n/a will sound like this (i know you dont have these mods etc. etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGAufNAxv8c

where as your trying to achieve this with a sohc vtec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pc4eCRseIo
obviosuly wont happen.

as lukey said - vtec is overated. it has become a boys toy when their on their p's because p plates cant drive turbo
in a idodic street racing scene it has like become the new ''dosing'' imo. being a trafficlight hero so the world can hear the vtak kikin in n shiz, but really, its nothing lol

TheSaint
03-10-2010, 02:39 AM
hrm - vtec is still a really cool tech - and nothing brings the fond memories back like a good B series crossover

but i think iv grown up and out of that - as i prefer the sound of that JDM D15 =D

EK1 Civic
03-10-2010, 11:31 AM
hrm - vtec is still a really cool tech - and nothing brings the fond memories back like a good B series crossover

but i think iv grown up and out of that - as i prefer the sound of that JDM D15 =D

Yeh sounded way better. The b16 crossover is to loud and kinda ruins it. Smooth growl, gets louder then all of a sudden screams. Its not a gradual nice note like the d15.

I just got the dc2r intake arm, custom made pvc bend and a k&n pod. Pretty cheap system except for the pod (whole setup costed $130), but hey it'll last forever if you maintain it. Plan on making a cai setup for summer coming up and using the sri system in the winter :D Best of both worlds then.

em1rida
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM

i don't think i've seen any worthwhile/non-smartass posts from you lol

dougie_504
03-10-2010, 01:25 PM
ITB's on a SOHC D-series that's awesome lol

Tai
03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
ITBs prob cost more than the whole car its in.

TheSaint
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
heeps of ppl do ITB D's in america - some of those setups pwn hard

anyone thats got problems with the D ... should wach this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl180zN3Z0

dougie_504
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah I've seen Bisi, he's very cool and innovative. But what average person has the money or knowledge to do that? :(

mugen_ctr
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
bisimoto, for those who have to much money on there hand, an are hardcore fan of d-series imho, any engine can be built to handle that amount of power, given that budget an engineering isnt a problem, and also, his not running pump fuel, and only race fuel, so that doesnt count lol
Agree bout vtec though, overrated..

to the OP, to answer the question, u can either make ur own cai, buy some silicone hoses, clamps an just get some pipes, an bends, ur done as dougie pointed out, for under 400 easily, or spend that 400 on a product thats had r&d, btw, aftermarket exhaust with oem muffler, fail, lol, defeats purpose of sports exhaust system, cai is more quiter than sri, due to pipes an bends that muffle the sound

pablos8
04-10-2010, 01:40 PM
vtec is overrated.

:thumbsup:

cheapdouchebag
04-10-2010, 02:37 PM
honda is not overrated.

fixed =]

dougie_504
04-10-2010, 03:28 PM
VTEC is not overrated at all. People only say that because they haven't done proper research and don't understand what VTEC is nor what it was designed for.

It's excellent innovation and engineering and serves it's purpose well :)

pablos8
04-10-2010, 03:48 PM
VTEC is not overrated at all. People only say that because they haven't done proper research and don't understand what VTEC is nor what it was designed for.

It's excellent innovation and engineering and serves it's purpose well :)

I don't doubt that it was excellent innovation and engineering but in terms of how people perceive VTEC as in being the best thing ever and makes your car x1000000 faster is whats overrated

dougie_504
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't doubt that it was excellent innovation and engineering but in terms of how people perceive VTEC as in being the best thing ever and makes your car x1000000 faster is whats overrated

Exactly mate. VTEC isn't supposed to be a substitute for F/I like some noobies think :)

TheSaint
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
i would prefer to work on and have the sound of vtec and have less power than own a power monster turbo car that sounds ... well ... like a power monster turbo car

theres just somthing about the sound of a well running N/A engine that really gets me going

i spose thats why most of us older crew are still into hondas lol

mugen_ctr
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
well, coming from both side of the fence, a well setup turbo car is just as fun as any honda, but yea, the sound of a raw n/a screaming will always tell u to push harder all day long, each to their own at end of day...some ppl prefer Dc5, others S15 thats how i view it really

Vtec is a engineering marvel, nothing more to it lol, coming from F1 into mainstream production

TheSaint
05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
the sound of a raw n/a screaming will always tell u to push harder all day long

yeah - i love that sound =)

on the other hand i spend just as much time helping mates tune WRX and Galant/Legnum and even another mates Triumph America bike lol
if its got an engine and u can tweak it - im keen =)

lately i have just been enjoying the simplicity and cheap parts that come with tuning my D series

its been a fantastic challenge to bleed power out of such a small motor and at such a low cost =)

dougie_504
05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Saint have you had a power test yet? Would be nice to know what you're squeezing out of that 1.5!

As for N/A I think you're right, there's something about the finesse of a small N/A motor that I simply love. Turbo would be awesome I'm sure, but it's just not my thing (plus I'm under 25 = high insurance premium!) :)

TheSaint
06-10-2010, 02:25 AM
no i havnt tested mine yet - but than again its not finished either...

just spent all day rebuilding a USDM D16z6 intake manifold to go on it and my ECU is still coming from USA

let alone the JDM D15b VTEC gearbox, Exedy OE Clutch + Exedy 10lbs Flywheel

lol ... when will it end

dougie_504
06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
It never ends bro. My B16A build is going to cost about $9000. I had budgeted about $4-5g lol

pablos8
06-10-2010, 12:49 PM
$9K Feck me dead bru lol shoulda gone b18c7

TheSaint
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
yeah but than it would have cost 15k lol

sure the engine is only like 2k to begin with ... but what you do to it and the car in the build process ends up costing a packet lol

MWAKU
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
lol should have just gone b18c7 for sure no doubt. been in a b16a, shit revs of its nuts, but its not fast, no where near the b18c7.

pablos8
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Should of just saved more and gone k series haha

TheSaint
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
lol should have just gone b18c7 for sure no doubt. been in a b16a, shit revs of its nuts, but its not fast, no where near the b18c7.

faster than D15b7 ... thats for sure lol

pablos8
06-10-2010, 01:49 PM
faster than D15b7 ... thats for sure lol

seeeef

Convert to d15b4!

EPIC WINZ0Rz

mugen_ctr
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
It never ends bro. My B16A build is going to cost about $9000. I had budgeted about $4-5g lol

lol, well many ppl under budget there car project/build up, an most will give up once the funds are gone too, see many half done car projects go up for sale now

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I run a alum 3" dia. dx intake sri off ebay, with the same ebay 3" filter it came with, cut the pipe to suit (dx has the throttle facing upward), it came with the correct reducer to the throttle body and arm

made up a clamp using a s/s clamp, bit of s/s flat plate and secured it to one of the stock bolt locations, all for $160 odd (had to pay for some welding at a muffler shop for the clamp)

it's pretty loud

jks24
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM

well for what it is (1.6l) its good imo
But yeah would deff have gone the b18c7/r anyday :)

MWAKU
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
ohwell, u dont forsee the future. always happens, u upgrade, then you realise you should have gotten greater.

dougie_504
06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
$9K Feck me dead bru lol shoulda gone b18c7

Yeah, the main reason I didn't do that was that my bottom end is very healthy. I think a B16A out of factory made about 230 compression per cylinder, and at 99,600 KMs (and 20 years old) mine is making 215, 210, 215, 220.

So it's very healthy. Made a nice 99.4kw ATW with CAI, header and axle-back.

So I bought a spare B16A head which I'm building a bit.
- Skunk2 stage 1 camshafts ($1000)
- Skunk2 adjustable cam gears ($340)
- Jun valves ($400)
- Supertech titanium retainers ($200)
- Supertech valve springs ($300+)
- Re-welded combustion chambers (for higher compression)
- Port job on intake/exhaust

- ITR throttle body and intake manifold ($350)
- New CAI ($350)
- Kakimoto racing cat-back ($1160)
- 100 cel Metal high-flow cat converter ($140)

- Full VRS kit as my head gasket is leaking and this is a good opportunity to replace them all ($600)

- Walbro 255 fuel pump ($160)
- Sard fuel regulator ($170)
- New OBD1 dizzy ($280)
- OBD1 injectors (probaably Integra injectors) ($50)
- OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness ($140)
- Hondata S300 + tune (probably $2,000-2,300)

Machine shop labour $750
Mechanic's labour $1500 (custom port job, reco of head [was really ****ed when I bought it], assembly etc)

Plus I just put on Bilstein coilovers ($600), bought some RE001 for my watanabes ($420), bought some Mugen MR5's from Japan ($1100) which need a professional refurbish because the clear coat has oxidised and I want them to look new again ($600) and then I'll put Toyo T1R's on them ($500).

Also getting brand new engine mounts as all mine are cracked and ****ed as with most EF8's ($712) and then I need new rear trail arm bushes, need to replace a CV boot and probably need a new clutch.

So when you add all that up it's about $15,000 - I then when I get a garage I'll get a full respray :)

So with 99.4kw ATW now I'm hoping this setup results in at least 115kw, but hopefully 120+. And to top it off I know I'll have a near-new condition motor with all new/top quality parts which I am already familiar with rather then buying some random B18C or K-series (UGLY) which could be a total lemon! I love my B-series...

And lastly, since I'm only building the head, I can do B20VTEC in the future if I need to :)

TheSaint
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
wow ... is there a build thread to go with this?

jks24
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
i take back what i said..I like your thinking dougie
I would be interested to see how my compression is, mine has just over 125000kms on her.

mugen_ctr
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
imma assume ur gonna track it one day rite? lol thats the reason why anyone would pour that amount into b16.... why not go Itb's like mikes b20? response is the key on a track

MikeyG
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Why do you need to be so angry?

You wanted your crossover to be louder and I suggest a megaphone near intake.

Whats wrong with that?

fuk me.. i have never laughed soo hard.. Tai always has the correct answers ROFL

TheSaint
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
you could try the VTEC SNORKEL ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZg8QBJaMM&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJ_Ga1NuSE

dougie_504
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry to OP for hijack!

wow ... is there a build thread to go with this?

Yes there is, but it's on www.crxaustralia.com! I thought about making one here but have never bothered, though I'll think about it in time to come :)

i take back what i said..I like your thinking dougie
I would be interested to see how my compression is, mine has just over 125000kms on her.

Thanks mate I appreciate that. Compression tests don't take long and aren't complex! Can't hurt mate, gives you an indication of how your motor's going!

imma assume ur gonna track it one day rite? lol thats the reason why anyone would pour that amount into b16.... why not go Itb's like mikes b20? response is the key on a track

Aside from the previous reasons, I also want to keep the B16A bottom so I have no engineering/registration issues. This car is my weekend car only and in the 18 months that I've owned it I've driven about 3,000 KMs. I drive it once a week to keep the battery going/stop the tyres getting flat spots and when CRXAustralia has meets.
Everything on it in legitimate and/or good quality and it will always be that way!
But yes I'll be looking into track days when it's all finished :)

jks24
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
lol@the VTEC SNORKEL

mugen_ctr
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
you could try the VTEC SNORKEL ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZg8QBJaMM&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJ_Ga1NuSE

bhahahahhaaha, funni stuff rite there, the lengths kids will do these day just to hear vtec

cheapdouchebag
07-10-2010, 12:08 AM
bhahahahhaaha, funni stuff rite there, the lengths kids will do these day just to hear vtec

you would think they would say some bullshit like ''well if u put a/c on full blast thats reall icy cold air going in ur intake''
hahaha

TheSaint
07-10-2010, 01:18 AM
vtec snorkel + air conditioning = liquid cooled intake? (like water cooling a pc)

IS there a way to feed a/c straight into ur intake instead of the cars ventilation system? lol

actually heres some interesting info...

http://journals.pepublishing.com/content/p02551k8r7447ml4/

mugen_ctr
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
hahahaha, well if that was viable, i think u will find that race cars would of adopted it ages ago...kinda reminds of me supercharger, as it needs the engine to turn supercharger to make power, except ur usin a/c to lol..... iev yet to see any air ram intake system on civcs, on s2ks an teggys theres one or 2 designs out, but none for civics :(

TheSaint
08-10-2010, 12:35 AM
the article basically says that the a/c does improve the power - but also cancell's itself out

say it makes an extra 15kw of power - but takes 12kw to run the pump

some good numbers where made with a/c radiator tuning and refinement - but overall not worth the effort

my thoughts turn to a electrically driven a/c intake seperate from the engine that runs off a capacitor like you would use for a big stereo setup - than you can activate it like a nos button

hrm ... might be onto something there

mugen_ctr
08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
the article basically says that the a/c does improve the power - but also cancell's itself out

say it makes an extra 15kw of power - but takes 12kw to run the pump

some good numbers where made with a/c radiator tuning and refinement - but overall not worth the effort

my thoughts turn to a electrically driven a/c intake seperate from the engine that runs off a capacitor like you would use for a big stereo setup - than you can activate it like a nos button

hrm ... might be onto something there

And also the fact if ur running a/c full blast for like 2-3 hours non stop, u will wear down the ac prematurely, an re gassing it very often as well, its a good theory, but proven to be ineffective

TheSaint
08-10-2010, 10:56 AM
what about running it electronically off a capacitor in short bursts?

mugen_ctr
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
would need a big capacitor to turn the ac id imagine....

V73C
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Still seems like a good idea to try out.

TheSaint
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
would need a big capacitor to turn the ac id imagine....

wouldnt a 1 farrad cap from a car stereo shop work?

u would only need it to run for a couple of minutes

only problem i can see is weight

mugen_ctr
08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
well sounds convincing enough, but whos willing to do it for testing purpose lol

dougie_504
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Apparently best temperature for O2 going into your engine is 4 degrees C I've been told

TheSaint
08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
im sure you could have an a/c that regulates the air to the correct temperature

mugen_ctr
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
isnt the coldest setting at 15 degrees from ac? well, im taking it from my old car, 180sx with climate control, apparently the digital climate control said it can go lowest was 15 degrees, but never felt that cold

TheSaint
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
OP hasn't been back since 1st post.

so many ppl waste their time on this rubbish

if u dont like it than dont read it lol

mugen_ctr
10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
if u have nothing to contribute, than why are u here? lol..... aniways my question still stands as im keen to see if this theory works :)

Sexc86
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
how about, take off your hood
custom piping to your drivers window a pod at the end. that way you can hear the crossover louder and clearer, cos its right next to your ear :)

ahahahah yeh mate i have seen this done on utube... epic shit!