PDA

View Full Version : Clarification for FUSE TAPS!

-Tom
03-10-2010, 02:14 AM
In an effort to install some LED strips in the footwells of my car, I've come across something that might make things a little easier.

A fuse tap:
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/pioneer_tuner/buss_fuse_tap.jpg

I have no idea how this works..It replaces a fuse, which allows you to 'add-on' an accessory as it creates another circuit.
It only has one wire leading away from the fuse though, so am I meant to insert one wire from the LED strip into the adapter from the fuse tap and ground the other wire, or do I just shove them both in and hope it somehow completes the circuit?

Any clarification would be great,

Thanks

riruiz_88
03-10-2010, 08:34 AM
i can see it doing the job that you want it to do, but i cant see it being reliable in the long run. what ever circuit you "tap" off, that circuit will be using more current. more current means more heat as well. too much heat can slowly degrade the insulation of the cable. if your not electrically minded at this stuff, maybe get an auto sparky to do it or get one of your friends to see if they could help you out

grifty
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
led's use crap all power so it shouldnt be a problem in the long run, but i would upgrade the wires on the led strip since they are very thin.

-Tom
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
How do I complete the circuit though if there's only one wire leading away from the tap?

Boban
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
i think you connect the +ve wire from the led's onto the wire coming out of the tap, and ground somewhere else on the chassis....correct me if i'm wrong

curtis265
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
^i think t hat's right.

-Tom
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Just wondering where is the best place to ground the negative wire if anyone knows?

curtis265
04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Find a spot of bare metal on the chassis, sand it down and bolt it on - try use an existing ground point

Stig
07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
making the grounding wire as short as possible as well