PDA

View Full Version : EK/EM1 Moisture in the headlight

AlexK
03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, im terribly sorry if there is already a post about this, i have searched and couldnt find anything on the ek/em1, what happened is i have two brand new after market headlights, and for some reason the lefts side started getting foggy/moisture in the head light, now it stopped but the other side has it lol, i dont understand how this is happening and im just looking for a few tips on ways i can get rid of it and prevent it from happening again because its not the best look lol.

I have taken a photo for use so your not beating around the bush at what im talking about lol
Thanks guys hope you can help me :D

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2608/40156475087497418565712.jpg (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/40156475087497418565712.jpg/)

EK1 Civic
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I remember reading taking off the front bumper and drilling a hole at the bottom of the lights, cant remember if it was for moisture and water or both.

AlexK
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
hhhmmmmmmm i dunno if i wonna do that lol, but if i drilled a whole, wouldnt that just make even more moisture in the rain ? lol not to happy atm with this head light lol

mugen_ctr
03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
well u said aftermarket that explains it all lol, normal ones have a tube coming out of the headlights that allows the head lights to breath, as others said, maybe just pre-drill a hole so it breaths better...

AlexK
03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
well u said aftermarket that explains it all lol, normal ones have a tube coming out of the headlights that allows the head lights to breath, as others said, maybe just pre-drill a hole so it breaths better...

:S it does have a tubing tho that's the thing, i guess i might just have to drill a hole in a area that water is goin to hit, could it also be because of my hid's ? im not sure :S

Symphorced
03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
hhhmmmmmmm i dunno if i wonna do that lol, but if i drilled a whole, wouldnt that just make even more moisture in the rain ? lol not to happy atm with this head light lol

I thinmk the theory behind drilling a hole is because what's causing the moisture is condensation. Therefore, if there's a hole there for the heat to escape your headlights wont fog up anymore.

dahondr98
03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Just another reason why you should only fit genuine ones. If they can't get something like sealing right, how good is it likely to be as a headlight? It's a danger to you and everyone else.

flipfire
03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Funny thing is even genuine headlights can have this problem, i know mine did during winter. I got a hairdryer and evaporated the moisture and resealed the headlight seams with RTV silicone

Also check the rubber boot for the bulb is making a good seal.

I dont think drilling a hole is a good idea, headlight heat might make it go away but moisture will find itself there easier the next morning.

AlexK
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I dont think drilling a hole is a good idea, headlight heat might make it go away but moisture will find itself there easier the next morning.

Yerr thats what i was thinking wouldnt it be easier ? :( im not to sure because the other headlight had it then it went away now this one has it :S i might just use a hair dryer get it out and then see how i go i guess but thanks for all of your replies :)

mugen_ctr
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
how long does the condensation stay in the headlight? i think it mite be the sealing around the headlight that mite be letting in moisture resulting in condensation as well

NEE
04-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Don't drill any new holes in your headlights. Check the seals around your headlight's housing and reseal it with silicone if need be. Also check the rubbers/seals around your globes are fitted properly.

flipfire
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Air naturally has humidity/water vapour and it condenses inside the headlights. This is why i recommend sealing the headlights as airtight as possible.

Once you apply heat though it evaporates and finds its way out of the headlights.

MikeyG
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
just drill a hole maybe 2cm or even 1cm and it will allow the heat in your headlights to go

OR

dont buy fakes and buy real deal genuine ek9 lights :D

BIGTYM
05-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I did the EK9 DIY Headlights and shortly after I got moisture in my headlights. First thing to check is that all the seals are tight and no way for water to get in. If you see any gaps use a water proof sealant like Sealeys all clear or something similar.

Next thing is to take the headlights out and drill a 4-6mm breather hole in the bottom of the headlight. Wait for a nice warm day and all that moisture will evaporate out of your headlight. If you can't wait use a hairdryer or heat gun and just blast the moisture out...

Worked a treat for me.

BIGTYM
05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
just drill a hole maybe 2cm or even 1cm and it will allow the heat in your headlights to go

OR

dont buy fakes and buy real deal genuine ek9 lights :D

Can happen to genuine aswell so not always the best solution. Stop pushing people to buy OEM if they don't want or can't afford it let them buy reps... its there choice.

AlexK
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
thanks for all your help guys, and as much as i want real EK9 headlights, the money could go towards something else on my car, maby later down the track, i will do some re-sealing so this does not happen again and the moisture stays there for a good week if its not in the sun :S

dahondr98
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
If you keep a watch on Ebay, genuine ones do occasionally show up on there secondhand at good prices - I bought some on there at around the $100 mark for a pair! It took quite a few months of watching before they turned up, and I had to make the search very specific ("used" items) to ignore the fake new ones which are always on there.

mugen_ctr
06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
how do u tell from fakes to oem? seems the ones on ebay look pretty good, almost like oem

BIGTYM
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Besides the fake ones being the wrong colour... OEM CTR is actually a light gun metal colour, fakes are usually black..

The legit OEM will have a stamp in the glass saying "Stanley" the company that makes Honda's headlight and taillights.

da_x_factor
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Anybody have headlights for em1? Let me know & how much?