PDA

View Full Version : seats

raniti
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
i know that most people go for recaro's i would/want to aswell some day but yea wont happen for a while. but was wondering if anyone uses other alternatives?

i know ebay i notorious for shit replicas but these are adr approved so cant be half bad?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BN-PAIR-BLACK-ADJUSTABLE-RACING-SPORT-SEATS-/380257914199?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5889234d57

also how hard is it to mount universal rails to an ek?

Symphorced
03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Of course you can't beat genuine Recaros, Brides, Sparco ect. but if all you want is the looks of it then yeh go for it. Save yourself a fair bit of money. However, be aware that a lot of these fake seats are made of cheaper material and likely to tear much easier and sooner than the genuine ones. IMO, go buy a genuine second hand seat rather than a brand new fake one.

Also, keep in mind that the seat is what's keeping you in the car. If you were to ever get into an accident you would much rather be in a genuine Recaro seat rather than cheaped out one.

96VTi-R
03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I got just jap fake recaros, they are alright, don't hold as tight as legit ones, wear and tare much quicker, i got them cheap of a friend so i don't mind, but if i were you I'd save up and buy legit ones, safer, much stronger build, much better build quality, lasts longer, looks better, holds value, can use honda made rails. I'm considering changing at least my driver side seat to a legit recaro, sparco or velo which are mostly ADR approved seats.

And the universal rails are basically useless, you have to get the custom welded on to your rail.

My suggestion is hold out for a while and keep saving, with the money you use for the steats + postage + custom rail, should be a couple hundred off up a set of used recaros. But in the end up to you man, i been rocking my fake ones for years and they still alright.

GenesisEG
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I made the mistake of buying a cheap pair of seats when I bought my EG. The previous owner had them sitting in the garage and I paid a few hundred to pick the seats up as well. Turns out that they don't fit in the car because the rails don't match and there's nowhere to mount the seatbelt buckle.

By the time I get rails made up to fit the seats into the car, I would've paid almost what I paid to buy my genuine Recaros.

I probably lost a few hundred bucks in the process, but here's what I learned. Fake parts are going to cause you headaches. They might be cheaper initially, but the extra cost involved in making them fit the car, the lack of support for them and the risk of them not performing up to standard means that in the long run, you've really cost yourself more, both in financial cost and in agony.

Save up, go legit.

jks24
03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
dont buy fake save up and get the real deal

xtnsevolution
04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Velo seats start at $500 each and are ADR approved.

nam.qhc
05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
yeah dont buy fake seats bro! i did.. and now regret it.. both driver and passenger fake recaro seat.. the frame snapped >< they use weak metal. go legit! ive learnt my lesson. genuine recaro or bride can be very expensive..but imo just buy driver side haha.

Symphorced
05-10-2010, 12:57 PM
yeah dont buy fake seats bro! i did.. and now regret it.. both driver and passenger fake recaro seat.. the frame snapped >< they use weak metal. go legit! ive learnt my lesson. genuine recaro or bride can be very expensive..but imo just buy driver side haha.

Ouch. Did this happen from an accident? Can't see how they can be ADR approved or even safe at all..

jks24
05-10-2010, 09:58 PM

they are not really expensive because they are more likely to save you in the long run as you have found out...imo get both if funds permit looks less stupid

spambam88
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
hey Dude,

i just put a pair of Recaro look alikes in my car the other day, as the other users said, save up and buy genuines, you can buy the rails and mounts that fit alot better.

i ended up buying universal rails from Just jap imports, http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=18499&cat=282&page=1

and then drilling them in, unsafe as hell, but do the trick, ended up welding them on today. IMO its a bitch to do, but if u wanna save some money it does its job