PDA

View Full Version : EK4 VTi-R problem

cdaniel21
03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to ask is it all Civic EK4 VTi-R come with passenger side air-bag (SRS)???
Thanks

EK1 Civic
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Gli model did, id suppose ek4 did to. Look at passenger dash if it says srs. Also uhm i dunno what the things called, i think sun visors? the thing u pull down above your head when ders sun in your face. It tells you if airbags are fitted, well in my ek anyways. Good luck.

Symphorced
03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Standard Specifications:
Model Variant VTi-R
Car Series EK4
Year 1995-1998
Doors and Body Style 3DR Hatch

Engine Size 1595cc B16A2
Fuel System MULTI POINT F/INJ
Cylinders 4
Transmission 5M
Standard Features 15" Alloy Wheels, 4 Speaker Stereo, ABS (Antilock Brakes), Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt & Reach, Air Conditioning, Airbags - Driver & Passenger (Dual), Central Locking, Engine Immobiliser, Paint - Metallic, Power Door Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Radio Cassette, Sunroof - Electric and Tilt, Suspension - Sports, Seats - Sport bucket, Centre Console with dual cup holder, Rear seat head restraints, Digital Clock

:)

muzukashi
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
yeh ek4 should have both :)

dahondr98
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, they all had twin airbags - it was one of very few cars in that class that did when I bought mine. They didn't have metallic paint as standard, though - it was an option at extra cost.

cdaniel21
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I got a genuine ek4 but no passenger srs.
So is it the previous owner crashed and took it off?
I want to ask is it possible I put one back, and is it I need to change the whole front dash as well?
Thanks

Symphorced
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I want to ask is it possible I put one back, and is it I need to change the whole front dash as well?
Thanks

Have a read through the following thread:

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71050

Hope it helps.

dahondr98
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I've noticed several other errors in that list of features above that are supposedly standard on the VTi-R. It doesn't have steering that's adjustable for reach - it's only adjustable for tilt, with the steering column moving up and down. The brochure I got from Honda before I bought mine confirms that all models in the hatch range came with tilt adjustable steering.

Air conditioning was also optional on all models, including the VTi-R - I had to pay extra to get it fitted by the dealer. It's included in the list of optional extras in the brochure. Where did you get that list from, Symphorced? it's not very accurate!

Thanks

The airbag is actually on the top of the dashboard on the passenger side – there’s a rectangular section of maybe 400 x 100mm that it comes out of, above the glovebox – you can see the cover over where it comes out of. In the models that don't have it, there's a sort of depression of about a cm.

Unless the dashboard has been changed, I’d suspect that it could be another model that’s been converted to an EK4 through having the motor and badges changed, if yours doesn’t have one. If it was crashed and the airbags had gone off, the bodyworks company that fixed it up should have just replaced them. Has it got a sunroof? That was one other thing which was standard with the EK4, but was an extra cost option on other models – if it doesn’t have one, chances are it’s not an EK4.

If it has a dashboard without the section for the passenger’s airbag, then you may have to change the dash to get it, but I don’t know that it would be worth the trouble and cost. It's a huge assembly, so it's a big job to change it. I imagine it would be hard to find one at a wrecker, as they were fairly rare. Of course, that may be the reason that it doesn’t have one, if the dashboard was smashed in an accident, and the bodyworks replaced it with one from another model without the passenger airbag. But if that was the case, I’d imagine that the car would probably be a write-off anyway.

Symphorced
04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Oops. My bad. Had it saved up from a post I saw ages ago on this forum actually. Full list as saved:

Standard Specifications:
Model Variant VTi-R
Car Series EK4
Year 1995-1998
Doors and Body Style 3DR Hatch

Engine Size 1595cc B16A2
Fuel System MULTI POINT F/INJ
Cylinders 4
Transmission 5M
Standard Features 15" Alloy Wheels, 4 Speaker Stereo, ABS (Antilock Brakes), Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt & Reach, Air Conditioning, Airbags - Driver & Passenger (Dual), Central Locking, Engine Immobiliser, Paint - Metallic, Power Door Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Radio Cassette, Sunroof - Electric and Tilt, Suspension - Sports, Seats - Sport bucket, Centre Console with dual cup holder, Rear seat head restraints, Digital Clock
Optional Features

Available Colours Frost White (NH-538)
Milano Red (R-81)
Dark amethyst pearl (PB-74P)
Vogue silver metallic (NH-583M)
Cypress green pearl (G82P)
Bore and Stroke 81x87.2mm
Power 118KW / 160HP @7600rpm
Torque 148Nm / 15.1kgm @7000rpm
Weight to Power Ratio 7.71 : 1kg/kW
Front Brakes Vented Discs, ABS
Rear Brakes Disc
Wheel Dimension
195-55-15

Turning Circle 9.8m
Compression Ratio 10.2
Final Ratio 4.4
Tank Capacity 45 litres
Exterior Length 4180mm
Exterior Width 1695mm
Exterior Height 1375mm
Front Track 1475mm
Rear Track 1475mm
Wheel Base 2620mm
Front Suspension Ind; double wishbones with coil springs gas damper and stabiliser bars
Rear Suspension Ind; double wishbones with coil springs gas damper and stabiliser bars
Kerb Weight 1105kg
Ground Clearance 106mm
Seating Capacity 4
Exhaust Manifold Cast 4-2-1 style exhaust manifold
1/4 Mile time 16.2