PDA

View Full Version : Front brake problem please look!

kcokla
03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
hello hello all.

Upon changing my pads on my eg(front), i couldnt push the piston in the caliper all the way in in order to fit them back on.

Stupidly i tried a number of things eventuating to the point where the piston came out of my caliper and all the brake fluid is gone.

How do i put the piston back in?
how do i push it all the way back once its in?
Upon putting them back in, i suspect there is a tiny bit of brake fluid left inside that wont come out because the car is slightly on an angle with the front driver side slightly up,
i suspect i flush it out and then put everything back along with brake fluid?
is this correct?

help would be greatly appreciated:(

my diy day gone all wrong.

AE092
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
What you initially needed was a G clamp to push down on the piston to push it in - remember to undo the cap where the brake master cylinder is so the fluid can come out.

Anyway, you are now at a point where you can rebuild the caliper (of which I highly recommend). If you go this route; call up your local Bursons/Repco/Autobahn and ask them for a brake caliper rebuild kit. They can cost from 30-50 a side but are well worth it if your original seals are worn. Look up some youtube clips on how to rebuild your calipers and follow the guide closely.

If you don't go the above way then its a matter of pulling out your original caliper seal and putting it on the piston, lube the piston up with fresh brake fluid (use gloves if it has a high DOT rating) and carefully slide the piston back in 'square' with the caliper and not angled/slanted so that it can damage the bore or piston. When you get to about 3/4 of the way, fit the rubber seal on the piston into the calipers' seal housing. Once it's in, slide the rest of the piston in and refit the C clip. You MUST fit the C clip as it holds the seal in place.

Once that's all done, give the brake system a good flush with new brake fluid. Don't worry about the angle of the car as the pressure will force it out.

kcokla
04-10-2010, 06:22 AM
thanks for the info ae092, +rep points.

another quesiton,

in relation to rebuilding the caliper, i assume i rip out the existing rubber parts of the caliper?

i looked up some youtube videos, it didnt look too hard to do this!

dougie_504
04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
If the rebuild kit comes with new ones, just do away with the old! Good to see you're willing to youtube and DIY as plenty of people aren't.

How did you compress the piston initially? And as above, did you remove the cap for the master cylinder? I found that mine almost overflowed when I compressed my piston so to be safe I used a syringe to pull some of the fluid out - it's terrible for paint!

kcokla
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
i didnt compress them initially!.
i took them off, and then when i put the pads in they wouldnt fit only to figure out that piston was supposed to go back in(im kinda noob at this).

then, i called up a mate who told me to remove the cap of the master cyclinder, which i did, - or so i thought, i took it off the other fluid right next to it, i forget what it is...
then i asked someone to press the brake pedal so i could see what happens and naturally it pushed outwards.
after he pushed inwards, and i thought maybe i could press it back in after it had finished pushing out.
we tried this several times and eventually the piston came out (didnt even know it would do that)

anyway - today i called around for a rebuild kit - no one had them in stock
being the impatient person i am, i went to the wreckers to buy a caliper.
too bad they only had the left side( i needed right). but i did get a tail light for my sisters car(she smashed it reversing into a pole)

so . no progress :(
this is so god damn annoying, cant drive the car now.

thanks for the help guys.

dahondr98
04-10-2010, 12:42 PM
It’s best to get a service manual, if you haven’t done any service work before – they always tell you not to push the brake pedal if the pads aren’t there! Honda service manuals can be downloaded off the web for most models.