PDA

View Full Version : knocking sound when turning

VTECnique
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
It only seems to do it at one particular corner. when i turn this corner, no matter what speed, i hear this knocking sound (like a person knocking on a wooden door). It sounded like it was coming from the back, so me & my dad had a good look at the rear checking nothing was loose or sloppy.

Only the other day i noticed the sound more in the front than the rear, but usually the sound is more apparent in the rear. & its doing it both sides. My suspension is CXi OEM, nothing added at all. What do you guys think this could be?!

Lukey
03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
check ur wheel nuts

riruiz_88
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
same thing is happening to my dads car, and im pretty sure its worn shocks. check for leaks or not normal wear on the shocks.
it could also be your rear trailing arm bush, i was getting creaking noises before i replaced mine

stiadouc
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
could be your cv boot.. when they split all this road debree gets in the joints and causes knocking sounds.. could be your shockers, or lca bushes go under the car and have a look :D

chan 87
03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I would suggest CV joints.. May be wheel nuts but that occurred to me and it made noises even if the car was going straight :P

Riced_Civic
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
my mate had this problem on his LS, he had to change CV joints and drive shafts were screwed.

depending on how bad the knock is it might only be CV joints.

muzukashi
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Happened to me awhile ago but mine turned out to be leaking/worn shocks but i was already planning to replace shocks so was all good also as above check CV joints too

dahondr98
04-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Usually CV joints start a loud metallic rattling/knocking kind of sound when the front wheels are turned. However, if the noise is coming from the back, it may be worn rubber bushes causing metal to metal contact in the suspension joints - eg shock absorber bushes. I'd expect it to also happen when the car is driven over bumps, if that was the case. Replacing the bushes would cure that. It could also be loose wheel nuts, but they usually fall off if that's the case, as happened to a mate years ago, when he thought the knocking noise was CV joints when he was driving his car home from work, and then one of the front wheels fell off!:(

VTECnique
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
ok well im kinda hoping its not CV joints. The outer boots have just been replaced when i got the gearbox fitted, so im certain the mech would have looked over the cv joints before doing the work.

Its quite hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. i got my wife to drive & tried hearing for the knocking sound, but she wasnt going fast enough around the corner.

I will double check all the bushes in the rear & we're also looking closely at the front today....

VTECnique
04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
deffinately not cv joints, if it were them wouldnt i be able to hear them no matter what speed i am doing?! Anyway we checked the front, i double checked the cv joints, both inner & outer boots were fine (the outer boots have just been replaced anyway). Im sure the mech wouldnt have put busted cv joints back on the car but rather charge more money to fix them, thats what i believe anyway.

The sound only happens at speed or when i turn rather sharply. gone over everything, shocks, bushes, even checked brakes, & we've both come to the conclusion its the front tyres as they are quite bald & on a little area there is steel radial showing thourgh, but only a small amount. Getting new tyres ASAP!!

MikeyG
04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
nvm its not cv joints

did you get your bushings?

aaronng
05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I would suggest CV joints.. May be wheel nuts but that occurred to me and it made noises even if the car was going straight :P

my mate had this problem on his LS, he had to change CV joints and drive shafts were screwed.

depending on how bad the knock is it might only be CV joints.
If the knocking is coming from the rear, and it is a FWD car, then the rear doesn't have CV joints.

deffinately not cv joints, if it were them wouldnt i be able to hear them no matter what speed i am doing?! Anyway we checked the front, i double checked the cv joints, both inner & outer boots were fine (the outer boots have just been replaced anyway). Im sure the mech wouldnt have put busted cv joints back on the car but rather charge more money to fix them, thats what i believe anyway.

The sound only happens at speed or when i turn rather sharply. gone over everything, shocks, bushes, even checked brakes, & we've both come to the conclusion its the front tyres as they are quite bald & on a little area there is steel radial showing thourgh, but only a small amount. Getting new tyres ASAP!!
Check suspension bushing, the bracket that holds the caliper to the hub, the wheel bearings, even the endlinks if you have a rear sway bar.

Oh, and check the wheel nuts too. :)

VTECnique
17-10-2010, 11:47 AM
i took the car in to get some new front tread, & the guys came back with me needing to replace my front bump stops, front & rear shocks. I have a funny feeling now, that its the shocks.

Im not after anything flashy, so no coilovers cause i will never track the car. But id like some shocks that will take well to lowering springs. any recommendations, besides going replacement shocks? & obviously, they need to be relatively cheap....

riruiz_88
17-10-2010, 03:52 PM
KYB, Monroe, Boge, are the ones that quickly come to mind. i have KYB Excel-G and they are quite cheap, but i got them over 3yrs ago now. just a lil stiffer than oem shocks, but i dont mind.