PDA

View Full Version : how come the fuse keeps gettin blown? HELP PLEASE!!!

djt
05-10-2010, 02:33 PM
hey guys i own a 95 eg gli , and i was just wondering how come the fuse keeps gettin blown when i insert my gps charger into the cigarette lighter hole, and then my cd player wont work aswell unless i change my fuse. anyone had this problem b4? btw this only started to happen recently.

cheers

dougie_504
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Because the wires have become exposed and have crossed somewhere inside your dash/behind the console.

The fuse blows when the power leaks out.

Need to have the wires fixed up.

duzy
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Just take off ur centre console, 4 simple screws, and have alook at the wiring, check for damage etc.

dc2r-0636
05-10-2010, 05:00 PM
something is shorting.. did u recently get a new cd player or something ? abit of wire touching another ?

i got a alpine headunit put in and all my interior lights wouldnt work. took it back and it turned out one of the wires were touching another

GenesisEG
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
The first thing I'd check is that the fuse is of a sufficient rating. If the fuse rating is too low and you overload the circuit, it'll blow the fuse. It's unlikely that this is the case, but since it's the easiest thing to check, it should be the first. Process of elimination, start with the simplest thing.

The second thing I'd check is that your GPS is not faulty. Try plugging something else (someone else's GPS or even the cigarette lighter) into the socket. If the fuse doesn't blow with the other GPS plugged in, your GPS is faulty. This could mean a damaged cable or a bent pin in the plug causing a short when you plug it in.

Personally, I don't believe it is a damaged wire behind the dash. If the active wire was damaged and shorting behind the dash, it'd blow every time you put a fuse in. Since it's only happening when you plug something in, it is more likely to be either the device you're plugging in, or the fuse.

The CD player appears to be running off the same fuse. Does the fuse blow when you are using the CD player?

dougie_504
05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
The first thing I'd check is that the fuse is of a sufficient rating. If the fuse rating is too low and you overload the circuit, it'll blow the fuse. It's unlikely that this is the case, but since it's the easiest thing to check, it should be the first. Process of elimination, start with the simplest thing.

The second thing I'd check is that your GPS is not faulty. Try plugging something else (someone else's GPS or even the cigarette lighter) into the socket. If the fuse doesn't blow with the other GPS plugged in, your GPS is faulty. This could mean a damaged cable or a bent pin in the plug causing a short when you plug it in.

Personally, I don't believe it is a damaged wire behind the dash. If the active wire was damaged and shorting behind the dash, it'd blow every time you put a fuse in. Since it's only happening when you plug something in, it is more likely to be either the device you're plugging in, or the fuse.

The CD player appears to be running off the same fuse. Does the fuse blow when you are using the CD player?

This is why I suggested a crossed wire, leading to a short = blown fuse.

A while ago my parkers and brake lights had crossed. Using my parkers turned on my brake lights too because they were both running off the parker fuse, but when I used my brakes they blew the normal brake light fuse and therefore didn't function on their own.

GenesisEG
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
But a short on the supply side of the socket would blow the fuse each time it was replaced. It seems as though it's not blowing the fuse until something is plugged into it, which would suggest a problem on the load side of the socket.

I'm not an auto electrician (I'm an electrician/security technician), so please don't take my advice as gospel, but I have a hunch (based on previous stereo installs) that the cigarette lighter socket and the CD player run from the same source from factory. If this is the case, then it makes sense that blowing the socket fuse turns the CD player off also. However, I could be wrong. Without tracing the wiring, I couldn't tell you for sure, but my philosophy as a full time service technician is to eliminate the simple problems first. Cable tracing is a tiresome process, especially if the problem is hidden away under the dash or the carpet. Eliminating the simple and easy to test possibilities first might save alot of trouble, even if they are less likely to be the culprits. Fuse ratings and devices that can easily be disconnected from the circuit should be tested first. Once those have been eliminated as possibilities, then the more difficult possibilities should be explored. Fault finding is a process of elimination, start easy and work your way down.

Most of my input regarding electrical problems is based on generic circuit knowledge and a bit of logic. I have very little knowledge of the specifics of auto electrics, so please forgive any display of ignorance on my part.

dougie_504
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
^

I was thinking that when you put something in the socket (which draws power out of it/turns it 'on') that would cause the short, like how the fuse in my car didn't blow unless I used my brakes?

djt
05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
will get to it soon thanks for the heads up guys! i hoppe the problem would be the gps charger that is faulty lols.

djt
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
lols nope i had this clarion dvd player in the car for about 8months now. didnt have this matter until 2 days when ill try using my gps again.

Jono Civic
05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
hmmm Might be that your gps charger is shorting inside.. Try using your cigarette lighter or some other device... that you know works 100%... Also try your gps charger in another car, to see if it blows that fuse.

Worth a shot.